2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting coilovers on sxt, now search for srt4 rims?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Putting coilovers on sxt, now search for srt4 rims? Reply with quote

Hey fellas, back again.
04' sxt sohc manual.

I just bought Raceland ultimo coilovers and have not had them installed, and i dont really want to run them with my stock wheels.
With the coilovers replacing my struts, when im looking at wheel fitment, do i have to look at them as though im shopping for an srt4? Thanks.
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i Found xxr 530s
Decent price for the set 17x7 35mm offset. Will these fit after i do the coilvers?
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRT's run a taller tire. Coilovers sometimes allow wider tire fitment, but you don't want to run taller tires. It'll throw off your speedometer. A 17x7 with that offset should fit fine.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeremyJ wrote:
SRT's run a taller tire. Coilovers sometimes allow wider tire fitment, but you don't want to run taller tires. It'll throw off your speedometer. A 17x7 with that offset should fit fine.
. Maybe man any chance you know if I can just put wheel spacers on my stock al's?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to put spacers on the stock wheels?

If it is to clear wider tires, the wheels aren't really optimum for wider rubber that would require spacing the rims away from the suspension.

You are going to mess with the front scrub radius also, not to mention extra load on the wheel bearings.

Best bet is to get the wheels in a compatible offset, with tires that are sized in a diameter that best matches the stock size, within 5 to 10% max.

If funds are low, then just run the stock tires/wheels until you need tires. At that point, you will have to spend money anyways, and hopefully have enough put back to buy the right stuff.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
Why would you want to put spacers on the stock wheels?

If it is to clear wider tires, the wheels aren't really optimum for wider rubber that would require spacing the rims away from the suspension.

You are going to mess with the front scrub radius also, not to mention extra load on the wheel bearings.

Best bet is to get the wheels in a compatible offset, with tires that are sized in a diameter that best matches the stock size, within 5 to 10% max.

If funds are low, then just run the stock tires/wheels until you need tires. At that point, you will have to spend money anyways, and hopefully have enough put back to buy the right stuff.

Thanks a lot for this advice, im not really into big rims, i just want something that fits, and doesn't look silly on the lowered car. I have the money for wheels, i just may hold off for a bit to see how it looks with stock setup with the new coilovers. The reason i was asking about the spacers, is because the stock wheel arches stick out a good 15mm from the actualy wheel/tire. The spacers, i was thinking, might push the wheels out to fit the body a bit better. i didn't realize i would put extra pressure on my wheel bearings, although i did just redo my bearing and steering rack L rods. is this simply a bad idea? i undersatnd what you're saying, but will having spacers break the steering/suspension?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kj21 wrote:
i undersatnd what you're saying, but will having spacers break the steering/suspension?

I doubt it would break it, but spacers are generally used with longer studs to compensate for wheels that aren't 100% correct in the backspacing/offset to clear suspension/spindles/brake hardware.

Putting the stock rims further out simply gives them more leverage on the parts the wheel is attached to. Like those 4WD trucks you see with the tires sticking a foot out past the body, just not to that extreme.

Basically you will shorten the life of the bearings a little, but I don't see catastrophic failure. it may also pull harder to one side or the other with irregularities in the road surface.

The best way to fill the gap is wider tires/wheels, that keep the geometry as close to correct as possible. Just remember, the tire needs space to travel up into the wheel well. If you go too wide/close, you will need to roll the lip.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, you can only run a 3-5mm spacer on the stock studs before it starts to get sketchy. That won't make a noticeable difference. Any thicker of a spacer and you really need to upgrade to longer, stronger studs. They break more frequently than you might expect, especially for those who drive aggressively or track their cars.

Wider wheels are your best option, by far.

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory alloy wheels are generally 1/2" wider than the steelies, for all the rim diameters. So if you are looking into factory wheels, the alloys are the better bet, as far as making a tire a little wider. But they are generally heavier than the steel wheels.

Aftermarket, is a wide open field, depending on how deep your pockets are.

Most knowledgeable wheel salespersons will be able to get you a wheel that is a close enough match as to not screw up your geometry, and still fit within the parameters of the car's wheel wells, etc.

This is one of those instances, where you should ask, before ordering online.

I have 15 x 7 wheels on my '01 without any issues. I originally had them on my '94 Shadow. They stretch the 195 55 15 tires a little, but it is not to the point of ridiculous. You could easily go with 205 55 15 in this case.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a guy on the local CL Selling 530s for a seriously good price with shit tires on them. he didn't list the width, but theuy look look like 17x7 i feel like since the srt4 has clearence issues with the calipers, but can still run 17'x8, i feel like i should be fine. I really do want to have giant offset wheels though, even if they are steelies, (Ive seen some seriously cool ones on the cheap) Does anyone know anything about this wheel style. where to get it?
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The high offset aftermarket steelies are heavy and flimsy. There's a reason they're cheap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Wheels / Tires All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: