2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thinking out of the box.. strut question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fixit
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: thinking out of the box.. strut question Reply with quote

okay.. i'm out of my zone of experience

i have a srt4.. and stock replacements are $600 from rock auto, and they suck, 75k miles and blown again (need a 4th set)

physically the 2nd gen strut perch is 1/2" lower.. ebay new $136 shipped

--- so forget that ---

application -- drag racing, dd (25k/yr)
any cheap neon struts that have a high dampening rate
(if that's whats important)

questions
1- test results (damping factor) of cheap 2gn neon struts
2- math,whats important
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could run regular neon struts, you would just have to run a smaller tire size. Which for drag racing could mean a sacrifice in traction.

The other alternative would be Raceland coilovers, if you don't want to spend for name brand $800 to $1200 - up coilovers.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in terms of struts, for performance you could go with tokico HP blues or the koni orange STR.T struts. they would be better valved to deal with a harsher environment.

these are about 450 and 350 respectively IIRC

like OD said above racelands which are about 350 and the BC coilovers which were like 900 last time i checked...

Stock replacements are always going to be expensive so i would avoid those. you should be able to get some basic ones on ebay for like 200 per 4 struts

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
2014 Durango R/T Hemi (the wife's)
dtecneon
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know im in your same shoes right now. I can get set of SXT for 166 ... But im not drag racing never have. Its just a daily driver is all. So why would i have to worry about traction ? i get on it here and there but thats it.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If staying with struts, I would say go with the Koni STR.T, but it appears from their website, that they only offer the yellows in a lowering kit/Eibach springs now, and for the cost, you may as well go with coil overs.

I wouldn't recommend Eibach springs either.

http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/List/?t=KoniPartSearch&q=2004&m=268&mk=13&mt=1

Also if going from production numbers/actual SRT-4's left, the aftermarket stock type pieces are going to dry up faster than regular neons. Why would you stock stuff that you may have a tough time selling?

It's going to be like the 2.7 Stratus clutch: Finding an aftermarket stock application replacement clutch is all but impossible. Even with the surge in demand of neon owners buying them, they still let the supply run out, and dropped them like they were nuclear waste. No one wanted to get stuck holding a bunch of clutches.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: