2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aftermarket sunroof

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: aftermarket sunroof Reply with quote

So i went car shopping this weekend with my wife, we were looking at a used durango.

she wants something with a sunroof and this one did not have one. the salesman proceeded to say that they had a guy they used in memphis who did installs for them all the time. with this he also said that they came with a 10 year warranty on them....

Now, being in the customizing world of DIY and other such modifications; i had heard that convertible tops and sunroofs from some manufacturers would be done at these types of shops....

even with that i was still wary of this pitch(we werent buying from him anyways) and i just felt iffy on this and would prefer a car already have a factory one with factory parts, but i am curious to see what the consensus is on here about aftermarket sunroofs.

what say you?

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
2014 Durango R/T Hemi (the wife's)
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they take the roof panel from one with a sunroof, you will be giving up the ability to have it cracked open in a light rain. I don't think too many aftermarket sunroofs have gutters and drains built in.

Also if the seal leaks a little, it is dripping into the car, versus into the gutter/drains like a factory unit.

Granted, I haven't actually had any experience with aftermarket installs since the late 1980's, but I can't see them being worth the cost to make them as good as factory. I don't think too many people would pay that much money. I'm sure there are quality ones out there, but probably not as good overall as the factory units. (1st gen neon mechanisms aside Laughing )

IMHO, it is better to get/pay for the factory option, unless you only want the extra illumination, and don't care if it opens or not.

But even the added light can be a pain, if the sun is positioned right. My '99 is missing the slide shade, so you need a ball cap in the car to keep from getting blinded at times. Factory tint doesn't do much there, but then it wasn't meant to, that's what the shade was for.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
thomas_w
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be fairly hesitant as well. In addition to the leakage issue OD has mentioned, you may loose on rigidity. My parents had a moon roof put in in one of their cars. While it never leaked, it did not seem as sturdy anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: