2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil change is that hard to do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albius
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Oil change is that hard to do? Reply with quote

Hi there.

Warm regards from Mexico.

I have now about 3 years with my 05 SE. Last January oil pan gasket was replaced, some time ago as you guys know I replaced the oil pressure sending unit switch last year. Basic maintenance.

As Im getting ticking/knocking noise every single morning at the first start of the day, since the last 2 years or so, I don't know if I'm asking for a thicker oil the car needs and a thinner oil would be a better option since the 15W40 would not go up at the "correct speed" and lubricate more properly the internals avoiding the noise. Car has 140 PSI in 3 out of 4 cylinders and AFAIK it has 115 or 125 in the other one. Almost 122,000 kms on the engine now.

Recommended and poured oil in different workshops is Mopar/Mobil 15W40, however my dad got EXCELLENT results in a previous '00 with Castrol (don't remember specs).

So I wonder if changing the oil by myself and changing the brand/technology could save some money and make the morning noise go away. Owners Manual says 5w30 but I'm thinking in a Castrol Magnatec 10W30 considering the difference in compression that I have now.

Now the questions and concerns:

1. As some other times with 2 5.2 Dodge Ram's my dad had, I'd helped one of the guys to change it, but it ALWAYS was leaking oil though the drain plug, so I don't know if a torque wrench is absolutely necesary or not to finish the oil change in Neons without any leak. Is that part so tricky or I'm just worrying unecessarily?
All I know is that I would need a 13mm hex socket and a wrench

2. Owners Manual says 4.5 qts to pour in the engine. So, that means that I need a complete gallon and an additional quarter to get it full?

If any of you guys could tell me the best, not risky, correct and infallible method to change the oil it would be hugely appreciated. Best brands/viscosities and filters would be appreciated too. Smile

Thanks for reading these noob questions and by helping me!
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardest part of changing my oil is jacking up the car. It's incredibly easy to change. On my new motor, I stick with the recommended 5w30, but on something with uneven compression and a bit of miles, I don't think 10w30 would be a bad idea. Just hand-tighten the oil filter and use a standard socket wrench on the drain plug. Don't over tighten anything. A torque wrench is absolutely unnecessary. 4.5 quarts is accurate; four go in the pan and the extra half fills the filter and various passages.

As for brand or type of oil, everyone's going to tell you something different. I use only Mobil 1 full synthetic and either Mobil or Wix oil filters in all of my vehicles. The cost is a little higher per change, but the car can run a lot longer between oil changes, which evens out the price a bit. Plus, my motors have always run strong, from brand new to 235,000 miles.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue with a thicker viscosity oil is the oil control rings have a harder time scraping it off the cylinder walls. So if the rings are getting a little weak, it can cause it to burn more oil.

A lighter viscosity oil also pumps easier/faster on start up. Thicker is not always better. I have had zero issues using 0w 30 Mobil 1.

My 4.0 Jeep actually carried better hot idle oil pressure with 0w 30 than it did with 5w 30. If the pump can pull it from the sump easier, it can get more volume to the oil galleys/bypass what's not needed.

Plus it might free up a smidge of power.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Albius
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys!

I am learning from you every time I post something here Rock ON

I'm thinking in Castrol Magnatec or Mobil 10W30 or 10W40 and a Bosch or an OEM filter. Hopefully this formula make a better job in order to change oil every 5000 kms (3000 mi) and I will post my results.

Thanks again for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: