2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multifunction Switch Connector/Melted Wires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> General 2nd Gen Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dillmiester
2GN Registrant

2000 Plymouth Neon LX

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Multifunction Switch Connector/Melted Wires Reply with quote

Alright guys I've got quite an issue I need some help with, long story short I was driving from work in the rain with my headlights/wipers on and all of a sudden smoke started coming out of my steering column. I immediately pulled to the side of the road ready to disconnect the battery. I waited awhile verified the wipers still worked kept the headlights off crossed my fingers and drove it home, when I was able to disassemble the steering column switch area I discovered the multifunction switch connector melted in half, there's more than a few wires melted together down the harness to who knows where, checked the PDC wires going to the firewall they look ok.

The morning of the incident my dash lights were flickering and then cut out a few miles later it was dark outside at the time after a quick search a member of neons.org said he lost running lights sure enough mine were out but worked when pressing the brake. I replaced the fuse had running lights again and the flickering went away till I got to work.

My question to those more knowledgeable I found a instrument panel /dash harness online for a reasonable price that replaces everything in the dash including the interior fuse panel but it's for a 2003 mine is a 2000 LX. Does anyone know if these would be compatible?

I'm hoping I can swap that out along with the upgraded multifunction switch, made in response to this issue.

Thanks again for any assistance guys.
04R/T
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could replace the connector, it's available at Rock Auto for around $40.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8019444&cc=1358085&jnid=437&jpid=0
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that harness would most likely not work, you most likely have a NGC pcm and i would think there is some intermingling in the dash harness with it. i do not know for sure. but i agree with 04R/t

you can just replace the connector and check your wiring. i did this a few months ago and havent had issue since.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
2014 Durango R/T Hemi (the wife's)
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Door harness connectors at the A pillars are also the same thing. The MFS is the same for all 2gn's, so the connector at the switch should work NGC or SBEC.

Where the other end(s) connect, may or may not be the same.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
MichNeon
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've replaced that connector, it's a good time to redo the wiring for the headlights and foglights, if your car has them. The current draw from the headlights and the foglights is what causes the connector to melt. I wrote a thread that is stickied in the 2nd gen forum on the Org, here's a link~ https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=410518
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> General 2nd Gen Discussion All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: