MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
JeremyJ
2GN Member

Re: MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Post by JeremyJ » Tue May 12, 2020 10:37 pm

They look great. I was going to suggest something from Konig. They make some cool wheels that don't weigh or cost too much.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed May 13, 2020 12:01 am

Better Germany than China. You weren't kidding about close- that's scary!
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed May 13, 2020 11:33 am

Technically the tires shouldn't rub, but if the balance got bad enough that they began to oscillate, they might begin to touch. Or an alignment bolt got loose.

The Hercules tires I got were made in South Korea. At least it isn't North Korea. :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon May 25, 2020 3:34 am

"Hercules" tires lol. I see a lot of "Waterfall" tires coming through work at UPS. Cracks me up when I see that brand name.
3mm spacers worked great. I discovered it was due to how it was aligned I believe. The shop who aligned it like 2 years ago just used the camber plates to adjust the camber. The passenger side rear has more of a gap between the tire and the strut housing then the driver rear. Then noticed my camber plates.. So I don't need spacers honestly. Does help the look though IMO
Cleaned the car up and took some pictures:
Going to take the turbo off here in a week or so finally. To figure out why it is leaking boost out the compressor cover. Not looking forward to that. Not a fun job.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:41 pm

I don't envy the turbo work you have on the horizon, but the car looks good regardless.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:02 pm

JeremyJ wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:41 pm
I don't envy the turbo work you have on the horizon, but the car looks good regardless.
x2!

Kind of makes me think of "Stiletto" by Billy Joel... :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:39 pm

JeremyJ wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:41 pm
Thank you. Good news.
I took the turbo off again. And my builder was correct it is an old style. Just a machined surface to machined surface. He recommended ultra black RTV around it. So that I did.

Got the intercooler plumbing back on and wow it holds boost great now during a test. My hotside rubber hose to intercooler was leaking a tad so I tightened the clamp down. Before I couldn't barely pump 12 psi in the system and now I can go to just about 20 and it slowly leaks down! Compressor side of turbo does not leak anymore. :)

So when I have time I will get the exhaust side back up. The 02 housing is always a pain to the turbo. The bottom studs are very hard to get a nut on them. Hopefully I get it back on the road for Sunday. Very hot out here. Going to be in the mid 90's on Saturday without the heat index.

In other news a good friend of mine is interested in my car. He has been interested for quite some time. I threw out a number of $16,500 for it. He said it was a good price, but haven'[t heard anything from him since we last talked. Now he messaged me again recently and asked me if I was seriously looking to sell it still.... Been thinking about it, but I think even for that amount I think I would kick myself for selling it. Since it is the ultimate color and optioned(No options lol) SRT-4 I always wanted. Supposedly one of the last 20 SRT-4s to be built too. I am sure he would try to jew me down more. Which I couldn't do.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:30 pm

Don't sell it. You'll regret it. Especially after all the work you've done.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:35 pm

JeremyJ wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:30 pm
Don't sell it. You'll regret it. Especially after all the work you've done.
I agree.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Yeah I am going to hold onto it. Thanks for the opinions you guys.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:44 pm

Many years ago, my financial situation was starting to get the best of me and I decided to sell it. I had it listed in the FS section here on 2gn:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26213

Now. many years (and dollars) later, I'm so glad that I still have it. :D

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:14 am

Wow that was back in 2007. Was that due to the recession of 07-08? Very glad you kept it too!
Got the car all buttoned up just about. Never checked my K&N air filter before since I bought the car. It was pretty dirty, but not super bad. Either going to get a new one or just clean it. I think my brother has a recharge kit I can use. Excited to drive it! I hope all is well. The back bottom nut on the 4 bolt flange of the 02 housing going to the turbo is a huge pain to tighten. I believe I have it tightened enough. We shall see. Everything went back together smoothly for the most part.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:40 am

Good to hear that you have decided to keep that ride...You have done very well overcoming all the "trials" with it and it shows in the pictures you've posted! Chalk it up to "PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT" on work seeming to go easier!
I hope the work on my sons girlfriends car goes as well later this week!

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:10 am

Thanks 04rebel. I wish you luck with your sons girlfriends car. Yeah lots of little trials and learning. I still consider myself a newb when it comes to wrenching compared to what some of these guys do to their cars on here.
Well I took the car out last week and it still felt down on power and the boost was very sporadic...It would go 17-18-17-18 via Aeroforce scan gauge and my needle still fluttered on the old style.
Got the intercooler plumbing back on and wow it holds boost great now during a test.
Quoting myself here haha.
I thought I got all the leaks. I did another boost leak test today and the chargepipe to discharge of turbo has a coupler and 2 t-bolts on it. The chargepipe was modified by the previous owner due to the discharge being a bigger diameter then the stock turbo. Well the bottom t-bolt this time was leaking VERY BAD past 15psi. Where it was put on it was in a very hard to reach area. Luckily I am thin and could get my trusty flex head 10mm ratcheting wrench on the t-bolt and go to town, Took forever to loosen it up. Did so and adjusted the t-bolt so it was on the coupler more even, prior it was hanging off it a bit. Also moved it so I could easily loosen and tighten it. Tightened it up, no more AIR wooshing noise. SWEEET! Very happy. Little things like that can make a guy happy haha. Can't wait to take it out for a drive and see how it runs without a BAD boost leak. If all is well I will hook up my Hallman MBC again and raise the boost to around 21psi and see how it runs.

I ordered a new AEM dryflow filter from MPX. Going to install that. Instead of cleaning my current K&N I decided to just buy new. Since my current K&N has damage on the pleats.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:43 pm

Man so clean.

I see you were thinking of getting rid of it. That would of been a bad decision. Most of these days the new kids are getting ahold of them and trashing them. It's ridiculous the crap new kids are doing to the srt4 community.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:19 pm

Appreciate the kind words. :)

Yeah I tossed around the idea. Modded turbo cars have lots of upkeep. Once you get the problems fixed everything is good. I just know I would regret selling this one. Yeah I constantly see SRT-4's being parted out on the FB SRT-4 FS pages. Also kids are still wrecking them. Almost as unique as your turbo 1st gen. These SRT4s are going to continue to be destroyed as time goes on. So having a nice one will be something to be proud of.

I got the MBC hooked back up and I have it running 21/22lbs now. No knock. Car pulls great! These 50 trims love boost. I think about going e85 and raising the boost to hit that 400whp mark. But I know with more power= more strain on the car haha. But I see it happening at some point in the future.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:16 am

Weren't you only like twenty horses away from 400? How much boost was the car running on your last dyno? I say go for it. As long as the AFR is good, you should be fine. Do you really need to switch to E85 to hit that number?

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:25 am

Yeah I was 20whp away. 21-22lbs of boost. Car has a rebuilt turbo, bigger 02 housing and no more balance chain now. You would think I could hit that number on 93 now. :confused2: I will raise the boost some and see if I get any KR and keep an eye on the AFR's.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:10 pm

I ended up raising the boost some and only got .5kr or so. I saw 25lbs on my ScanGauge! Car felt strong. But when the temperature drops I tend to get KR, I saw 3 kr and was only running 21-22lbs. Seems like the car doesn't like boost when its under 70 degrees and more susceptible to knock.. Not sure if its false knock or not. I know if the exhaust system is hitting something it can cause false knock. I know when I turn the car off the exhaust rattles some, its hitting the sway bar a tiny bit. So I need to adjust that. For now I have a piece of adhesive heat wrap wrapped around the sway bar where it is hitting it. I think it is hitting somewhere else, I need to figure out where.
Going to throw new plugs in since its so easy and cheap to do on these cars. Car seems to be happiest around 21-22lbs on this fuel setup and 93 octane. I don't like seeing any KR at all.

Here are a couple new pictures of my new place we are renting for the time being until this housing bubble bursts....hopefully. So nice to be able to park my cars in the garage. Majority of the people in this area have their garage full of crap and they can't park their cars in there!!! Its so bad, ppl buy too much stuff. Lol Or just don't have enough space.

^My new tool cabinet. Nice color eh? hahaha
My fiances car will be in the garage during the winter months and the TL will be in the driveway. But been all moved in for a while now.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:31 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:10 pm
Here are a couple new pictures of my new place we are renting for the time being until this housing bubble bursts....hopefully. So nice to be able to park my cars in the garage. Majority of the people in this area have their garage full of crap and they can't park their cars in there!!! Its so bad, ppl buy too much stuff. Lol Or just don't have enough space.
Or they just never let go of stuff they've had for years, even though it sits in a box in the corner.

Or are hoarders in denial.

Our neighbor has one 2 car garage, and a barn.

They have two Toyota Yaris, a Jeep Patriot, an '83 Doge pick up, a Dodge camper, a Chevy pick up, 2 Chevy full size vans, 2 riding lawnmowers, all sit out side, because the barn and the garage is packed full of lord knows what. The guy is always bringing something home, and it just sits where he dumps it, if it makes it out of the car. All the cars are packed too. They will buy mulch and flowers, unload them, and that's where it sits. The flowers eventually die, and the trays/pots are there.

The other day there was a loud clatter that came from over there. A stack of crates and wood that was piled up, fell over. Stray cats went scattering. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Our neighbor has one 2 car garage, and a barn.

They have two Toyota Yaris, a Jeep Patriot, an '83 Doge pick up, a Dodge camper, a Chevy pick up, 2 Chevy full size vans, 2 riding lawnmowers, all sit out side, because the barn and the garage is packed full of lord knows what. The guy is always bringing something home, and it just sits where he dumps it, if it makes it out of the car. All the cars are packed too. They will buy mulch and flowers, unload them, and that's where it sits. The flowers eventually die, and the trays/pots are there.

The other day there was a loud clatter that came from over there. A stack of crates and wood that was piled up, fell over. Stray cats went scattering
That is just wild! People live differently all over for sure! In Excess! I have a spare bedroom with just a TV and nothing else in it! My brother buys and sells a lot of items, mainly bicycles at this point. He makes good money as a side gig on top of his real job. But I am glad I don't have to deal with all the stuff he has anymore! I try to get rid of stuff I know has no value. I like space and less clutter

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:45 pm

New wheels ordered. Should be in at Discount Tire next week. Just swapping the tires over.

Was talking to my brother about them last night and he liked them a lot. Smoother design with no jagged ends. I just needed another opinion. Because I had been thinking about them for a while now and they are offered in the same size as my HyperGram. Only 1 lb heavier. I deleted my last post. So some of you guys might know which wheels I plan on getting, if not you will see once they are installed! I am excited.

Curious how they will look on my ride! I believe they will give the car some more "pop" a matte gray wheel does not really cut it. They look dirty all the time? If I like them more I am going to sell the HyperGrams. Got the HyperGrams installed early May! Probably only have like 300 miles on them. :lol: :lol:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:25 pm

Jesus, man. You and wheels. Are you going with the red OZs from Tire Rack? I think they'd look pretty cool and they weigh similar to RPF1s.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:34 pm

Haha I know. Just trying to find the right look that I really like. Don't get me wrong I love the Hypergrams but once I saw some good photos of the wheels I am about to get I was hooked. Plus I don't believe anyone has got them on their SRT-4 yet since they just came out this year and fairly expensive. Who knows I might not like them once they are on. LOL. I wanted to get the red OZ's but they have not got done in price. $380 each and special order from Italy. The white OZ's are on sale now via TireRack for $299 each, from $380. 17x8 et 35 and around 16lbs each. I think red would be a bit much and stick out TOO much. I still love them though! Just not $1500 love. At this rate I might end up getting them in the future! hahaha.

You will see what I get! Love the spoke design of the new ones I ordered. Hopefully they don't turn into a hugely popular wheel. But they might....

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:01 am

And here they are. Konig Countergram 17x8 et40 in polished silver/chrome lip. Absolutely love the new look! :mrgreen: Can't wait to wash the car and get some outdoor photos.

I also changed the oil too. Noticed one of my oil cooler hoses almost off! So I pushed it back on, only a little coolant came out. Going to end up replacing all those oil cooler hoses at some point since the heat is getting to them. I let the car sit all night and drain oil. Going with 5w-30 this time around. Not sure why I started to run 0w-40 and 5w-40 in my SRT-4's. Engine was designed to run on 5w-30 and 10w-30. Guess I was just listening to what other people were running. Not saying I had a problem, I just want to go with what the engine was designed to run with. Went with the Mobil 1 "extended performance" since it was only $3 more as opposed to the regular synthetic Mobil 1. Last time I changed the oil was in November of 2019! Only put around 3k~ miles on it since then. They say to change oil atleast twice a year even synthetic, despite mileage? I guess I just go with once hehe. 5qts only brought it to the minimum mark! I am going to have to get another 5qt jug. I am sure I will need it since these cars tend to burn a bit more when 5w-30 is used which is normal.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:14 am

Mobil is offering rebates on the Mobil 1 5 qt. jugs. I got a $10 prepaid VISA card in the mail the other day.

Nice wheels, by the way.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:18 am

Chrome/polished aluminum and white usually compliment each other pretty well. :thumbright:

The old rule of thumb was: A wider range in the viscosity rating usually has a tougher time maintaining that as the oil gets worn, but given the low miles, I don't thing that would have been an issue for you. Not sure how much that has been improved on with newer tech.

Thicker oil will be consumed a little more, because the oil control rings have a tougher time scraping it off the cylinder walls. Just like tires will hydroplane more readily on slush than water.

I usually run 0w30 or 0w20 in the winter, and have no ill effects. Mobil 1 is the only option I have found for 0w30.

My oil pressure is a few pounds more at idle with the 0w. And it gets pressure faster when parked in the elements all day at work. If it flows easier, it pumps easier...

But I don't think sitting out all day in 10º to 20ºF temps is going to be an issue for this car. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:57 am

The Countergram. I've been looking at these as well. I think the black/polished ones would look great on my car. I'm scared of the offset, though. Since my 35mm offset rims are so close to the front coils, I don't know that a 40 offset would clear them. I don't want to run big spacers, either. How's your fitment?

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:44 am

JeremyJ wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:57 am
The Countergram. I've been looking at these as well. I think the black/polished ones would look great on my car. I'm scared of the offset, though. Since my 35mm offset rims are so close to the front coils, I don't know that a 40 offset would clear them. I don't want to run big spacers, either. How's your fitment?
Same size and offset as the Hypergrams. I am running a 3mm spacer. Max to run on stock studs. I made a post about the hypergrams being very close in the rear in this "progress log". But it is due to the poor alignment using the camber plates to do the camber when that just needs to be used to fine tune the alignment. But the tech just wanted to get it done and didn't even touch the clevis crash bolts on the strut to knuckle. That was like 2 or 3 years ago. I am going to get a better alignment at some point at a performance shop. Not at the top of the list really. I get a bit of vibration in steering wheel over 70 mph. Its due to the cheap Gorilla spacers I got from MPX. I think the centric hub rings don't sit in there well with the spacers. I have a nicer set that came with the car that I found during the move I might put those on. But it doesn't bother me too much.
occasional demons wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:18 am
Chrome/polished aluminum and white usually compliment each other pretty well. :thumbright:

The old rule of thumb was: A wider range in the viscosity rating usually has a tougher time maintaining that as the oil gets worn, but given the low miles, I don't thing that would have been an issue for you. Not sure how much that has been improved on with newer tech.

Thicker oil will be consumed a little more, because the oil control rings have a tougher time scraping it off the cylinder walls. Just like tires will hydroplane more readily on slush than water.

I usually run 0w30 or 0w20 in the winter, and have no ill effects. Mobil 1 is the only option I have found for 0w30.

My oil pressure is a few pounds more at idle with the 0w. And it gets pressure faster when parked in the elements all day at work. If it flows easier, it pumps easier...

But I don't think sitting out all day in 10º to 20ºF temps is going to be an issue for this car. :lol:
Thanks! yeah I LOVE them. They are so clean and stand out. They just look so good in my opinion and work well with the white. Interesting that thicker oil gets consumed more. I seem to never had issues with 5w-40 or 0w-40 in my SRT-4s consuming oil it was always 5w-30 or 10w-30 where I would have to add it a bit. Car feels a bit peppier with the thinner oil too. Yeah I don't want more oil pressure. I hear when you remove the balance chain the motor generates a tiny bit oil pressure? I do not have a BS chain anymore. Yeah of course not,\ having it sit in those frigid temps, I treat this car too well for the most part.

I am starting to get a belt squeal a tiny bit. So it might be time to have the timing belt/waterpump/tensioner etc done along with the accessory belts. Original belt, low miles but its 15 years old.
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:14 am
Mobil is offering rebates on the Mobil 1 5 qt. jugs. I got a $10 prepaid VISA card in the mail the other day.

Nice wheels, by the way.
I will look into that I still have my receipt. I got 2, 5qt jugs. The 20k and the 15k 5w-30. And thanks!
I think this is the promotion: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/pro ... ogram-2020

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:44 pm

So had a very scary mishap with the Neon. Was on my way to work and about 2 miles or so from my work place. Just got off the interstate and was waiting at a busy intersection. Car was idling rough like it had a cam. AFRS started to go wonky :( Light turned green and the car was acting like it was about to die. Another light up ahead, had to hold the throttle down a bit and had my hazards on.Worse place for a car to die I thought! So light turned green at the next light so luckily car didn't die and I stayed off the throttle and went down a hill in neutral. Made it to a safe side street area I was familiar with and shut the car off. Car had a strong fuel smell. Saw gasoline on the ground in front of my car. Popped the hood. Gasoline on intake manifold. Looked around and saw it... The stupid fuel rail pawn near the driver side was loose! So injector #1 was just dumping fuel around the runner on the intake manifold! IF that fuel made it to the turbo side... FIRE. Not good! So I feel lucky.
Picture of the aftermarket aluminum AGP pawn that was loose on the day of the incident.
Tow truck guy came since I had no tools and he got out an open end 13mm and tightened it down for me. Started car up, no leaks. But was almost out of gas! I had over half a tank on my way to work and now my gas light was on! So I put 7 gallons of 91 in there. Checked for leaks again all good. Car drove fine on my way home.

I decided to pull the fuel rail and check stuff out. One of my injector o-ring was was torn on cylinder 1. So got new o-rings. Injector 2 the clip wasn't on there right, due to me probably. :( So I pulled the injectors off the rail and decided to put them all on another rail I had bought in the past that was powdercoated silver. So I got everything installed primed the pump a couple times and car ran and idled great.
Picture of new rail.

Noticed I was getting a scraping noise after I changed the transmission fluid. WAs this hahaha:

Looked over some paper work I had from the original owner. The original owner put an aftermarket clutch in at only 1500 miles he had told me!!! Its an old style modular ACT which I am sure is discontinued. But makes me keep an eye on the clutch. I was getting a weird noise when going in reverse and a ticking noise from the transmission before fluid change. So I am going to keep an eye on things.

On another note, I might be picking up a black 2008 Caliber SRT-4 this weekend. We shall see!! Know the owner, he is the original owner and then sold it to his son. Its a little rough but he says it runs and drives great still at 155k miles. Timing chain was done at 127k.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Return to “Progress/Project Log”