2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An easier way to put LEDS in the Cluster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> How-To's -> HT Electrical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wene
Fresh Fish

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: An easier way to put LEDS in the Cluster Reply with quote

I won't be posting any pics here since the overall method of changing out the cluster lights is still the same, but the difference is in about 5 minutes of prep work that can save you so much time down the road.

Things needed:
9 volt battery
Test leads with alligator clips on either end(preferably one black and one red wire)
LEDs and sockets to be installed
Marker that will show up on black plastic(I used a silver sharpie)

Step 1:
Take your LEDs and put them into the sockets(my Neon is an 05 so the bulbs in the cluster are glued/wired into the sockets)

Step 2:
Attach each test lead to one side of the 9 volt battery, here's where having one red and one black helps out if you attach red to positive and black to negative.

Step 3:
Using the test leads, check the polarity of each LED/socket assembly and mark the positive side with your marker

Step 4:
The 2nd Gen Neon clusters have it so that the positive contact for each socket is toward the bottom of the cluster, if you have it so your marking on the socket faces down there will be no need to play around with all the LEDs until they all light up.

I'm not sure if somebody has posted something like this already or not, but could not find it in my searches. I figured this might help any of the Neon Guys and Gals still out there switching to LEDs behind their clusters for color or brightness. If you need to get sockets for the cluster they can be found on eBay for pretty cheap, but the contacts don't line up 100%. You'll need to turn them in fully and back off slightly, they will stay in place through even the most intense driving conditions.
Moderators let me know if I should have posted this somewhere else. Have a good day all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> How-To's -> HT Electrical All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: