New 260k+ mile Plymouth Neon owner (lotsa pics)

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
AdioSS
2GN Member

New 260k+ mile Plymouth Neon owner (lotsa pics)

Post by AdioSS » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:14 am

Last year a friend invited me to a get together at his house. He has a little dirt track path set up in his pasture to drive cars on. He’s been buying old cars for cheap & “racing” them out there for fun. Last year’s car was a stripped out stick shift Nissan Altima painted in blue & orange. I got to make several laps in it & so did my girlfriend. We were last in line to drive it, so it was a bit down in power & overheating quite a bit. During my second stint it busted a hose & died. After we pushed it back to the “pit” with his tractor he wanted to send it out in a blaze of glory, so he got it cranked up again & put a brick on the gas pedal. After a surprisingly long time it finally blew.

We were hooked! After getting invited back for this year’s event I started looking for a car to take. I also plan on cutting out a bit of a “track” in my back pasture to have some fun on. Plus, her boys are just getting into their teenage years, so this will be a great way to teach them how to drive.

Well, Friday night a local guy posted a 2000 Patriot Blue MTX Plymouth Neon LX beater for sale on Facebook, & my friend tagged me in the post. I messaged the seller, asked a few questions, & made an offer.

I picked it up last night & hauled it home.

When I got it off the trailer I drove it out into the pasture. Scared the deer out there & myself a bit as the front tires rubbed on dips & bumps. Then Since it was almost out of gas I drove it to the gas station to fill up. Less than $23 to top off the tank. My truck’s tank is 26 gallons & it uses premium, so huge difference there!

Today I found this forum, read most of the FAQ & did some searching to try to figure out what this is going to need. It didn’t take long to diagnose the cause of the rubbing. The previous owner put on new tires that are way too big.

Maybe those tires will fit on one of my trailers after I put smaller ones on. The inside needs a good cleaning. I need to check out & probably replace the timing belt. And it has a vibration over 50mph that the previous owner blamed on a worn out CV axle. After 20 years & a lot of miles it does leak a bit of oil, but reading here has given me several places to check for that. The AC doesn’t work. I should probably remove the parts for that, but this is Texas... It has a newer stereo. Not sure if I’ll keep that in. I’m honestly torn about whether or not to strip out the interior. I kinda want to keep the option of using it as a beater on the street. There’s an issue with the dome light. He pulled the sensors from the door & now the IC displays FUSE after startup. I don’t mind no light, but it is a bit of a PITA. I’m sure I’ll find lots of other problems that need work.

So far it has been a fun little car to play with! Kinda funny how I got a 4x4 V8 truck to drive on the street & a sporty little econocar to drive off-road! :mrgreen:
Cheston
2000 Plymouth Neon SOHC ATX
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Re: New 260k+ mile Plymouth Neon owner (lotsa pics)

Post by AdioSS » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:20 am

Tonight I looked around under the hood a bit. This thing is dirty & a bit of a mess.
One thing that specifically caught my attention was this ground strap that’s not connected anywhere.
Where does it go? Could I use the bolt at the end of the intake manifold for it?

And as I was crawling out of it the driver’s seat I noticed that I keep grabbing the A-pillar. Both A-pillars have a bunch of rust on them & I can’t remember the last time I got a tetanus shot. So, I decided to something about it.

And I think the AC might actually work, but it was kinda cool outside today anyway. And the passenger rear window won’t roll down.
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:49 am

My gf has been trying to get me to start making & using lists, so I should probably start a list of problems & things that need replaced.
  • wash it! Inside, outside, under hood
  • brake rotors need replaced
  • upper front engine mount needs replaced
  • plugs & wires need replaced
  • timing belt could probably be replaced
  • oil leak diagnose & repair
  • fix ground (pictured above)
  • figure out what to do about the FUSE warning
  • front struts/springs. I read that SRT struts lift the front to allow larger diameter tires. I’m sure these are the 262k+ mile factory ones. I do NOT want lowering springs. Stock height or even taller with higher rate only.
  • diagnose CEL
  • CV axle checked/replaced
  • Driver door pull
  • Check shifter linkage
  • Check clutch
  • driver seat back is stuck laying too far back
  • clean/polish headlights
And how about a list of wants?
  • Tachometer. How can you have a stick shift without a tach?!?
  • Pull some weight out of it- Need to search here to find out what is worth pulling
  • Exhaust- muffler (Maybe swap in the factory one from my truck?), header
  • Intake- ATX TB along with some kind of cold air intake, maybe the Magnum manifold?
  • Pull the head. Replace valve springs & seals. While in there might as well upgrade the camshaft... Deck head.
  • Computer tuning for all the above
  • 2.4 swap? Is that as big as you can go with these?
  • RollBar
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:06 am

Welcome! Nice to see another Neon about to get some good attention.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:34 am

I figured out & fixed my tire rubbing issue!

I took the car into town to try to get a pair of smaller tires on the front to combat the tire rubbing I've had on dips. When they had the front jacked up I noticed that the fender was dented in there & was bent in worse than I realized. So, before they took the old tires off I used a sledge hammer to knock the dent back out away from the tire. It moved enough that I thought it might have been enough. So I came home & took it for a ride in the pasture. It was better, but still rubbed too much on dips. So then I got creative.

As you can see, I used a recently cut log wedged between the tire & fender with the weight of the car to push the fender back out. Then I drove it back & forth a little to effectively roll the fender out even more than before. Took it for another ride in the pasture to test & the rubbing is all gone! Now it just bottoms out in the back which new springs should help with.

It really didn’t cost me anything, but I did pay the tire shop for a “tire rotation” and then rotated them back to where the worst tire was on the back.

Now I’m tempted to do the other side to even it out a bit :mrgreen:
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:38 pm

some quick measurements for my own notes on here...

On the driver side only from the bead of the 16” wheel to the edge of the fenders measure 6½” front & 7” rear. With a jack lifting the right side to where both driver side tires are off the ground both measure 9 ½ inches. That’s a total travel of 3” front & 2 ½” rear.
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:09 am

I put in the newer white face cluster with a tach tonight. Huge improvement! I realized I was short shifting a bit before, but that was probably best for the car & me :rofl: Only 1 of the bulbs is out. Just ordered some eBay LEDs to replace it & the rest of them.

I also pulled off the cover for the dome light. I get the FUSE message in the cluster.
Well, as you can see, there’s no bulb there at all. The previous owner said something about that bulb kept popping on him, so that’s why he pulled all the door switches out. Maybe an LED bulb will fix it?
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:14 am

Oh yeah, I lost 2 of the cluster screws in the dash as I was swapping them out. Hopefully they work theirselves down to the floorboard soon. :facepalm3:
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:38 pm

Just realized that instead of waiting for the eBay LEDs, I can just pull a bulb from the old cluster. 8)
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:03 pm

The LEDs came in quick! I didn’t even get back out to put the cluster back in yet. I ordered a 10 pack & that was the perfect number. It’s too bright to see how it looks now, but there were a few more burned out bulbs. And there was 1 left over that I plugged into the dome light. I couldnt tell if it was on, but the FUSE message didn’t flash in the cluster. I’m looking forward to seeing how it looks after sunset!
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:46 am

I guess for my 40th post here I can add the picture of how I rigged the passenger rear window so that it would quit falling down an inch. Noticed the holes in the sheet metal that line up with the bolts to remove the glass. I found a longer bolt & some washers to replace one of those & bolted the window to the sheet metal. I also broke off the window crank accidentally when taking the panel off.
It’s ghetto as hell, but it works, so oh well!
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:13 pm

You should probably make a PL here, so everything isn't in your into post. :P
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Could you just move this thread into the Project Log section for me? 😁
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 pm

Yep. :P
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Fri May 01, 2020 1:03 am

I haven’t done much with the car recently. The event I bought it for was postponed until the fall due to the Corona virus. So I’ve just done a little here & there.

I sprayed some expanding foam into the bullet holes & then spray painted over them a blue I had that is kinda close.

Tonight I did a little with the trunk.
The trunk lid has always been very difficult to close. When it does latch it sits way too far down where the lid is lower than the fenders. So I messed with the position of the part that’s bolted to the trunk tonight. Didn’t get very far, so this weekend I’m going to try to get one of my fiancé’s boys (12 & 14yrs old) to crawl in the trunk (with the back seats folded down) while I close the lid so they can see what’s going on. I’d do it myself, but I’m trying to teach them a bit about cars before they start driving. They are one of the reasons I got this car. Several generations of my family have learned how to drive I the pastures here. When my sisters found out about the neon they were actually interested in learning how to drive a stick shift.

I also cleaned out the trunk including the jack & spare. 95% of the driving it is going to be within a mile of my house. I can toss in the spare when I take it into town, but I’ve also got roadside assistance. I noticed one of the rear speaker wires are cut, so I’ll splice that back together. There’s no light in the trunk light.

As I had the trunk lid up I noticed something peaking out at me from under the trunk lid carpet...
Looks like the shot into the trunk lid was at an angle & somehow wrapped around under the carpet. I’m expecting to find more whenever I get around to pulling the seats out to clean them better. I’ll probably wait until it heats up & the pollen dies down more so it’ll be able to dry out without turning green.

And I bought a pair of those coil spring spacers to try up front. May put them on this weekend. I’ll probably get some for the rear, also. It’s not as good as new struts & springs, but they were only $8 each. I’m still not sure how I want to go with the wheels & tires. I’ve been tempted by a set of stockish size snow tires on steel wheels. But we’re kinda wanting to go a bit bigger.
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri May 01, 2020 7:56 am

AdioSS wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:03 am
So I messed with the position of the part that’s bolted to the trunk tonight.
Should be able to pull both sides of the striker all the way up. If that doesn't do it, I guess you could make bigger holes in the striker.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Fri May 01, 2020 7:13 pm

It doesn’t want to latch even when slammed hard. The easiest way is to use the key.
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri May 01, 2020 8:16 pm

from the looks of the plastic guide, the latch might need a bit of cleaning/lube, or just replaced.

They are the same part from '95 to 2005.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Sat May 02, 2020 9:23 pm

With the help of the 12year old the trunk lid latches easily now :)
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Fri May 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Got the new wheels on last night. They are 15” Vision Cross in gun metal finish. I like how they look a LOT better than the 16” chrome American Racing’s that were on it.

I also installed the spring spacers for the front springs, but I don’t know how much well they are going to work. The factory springs are bigger diameter & have a lot of spacing between the coils. These are supposed to spread out the coils, but they don’t actually touch the coil above. The store also had a set designed for trucks that I might check out next time I go there.

Here’s one with that side off the ground...

And here’s the other side on the ground with the other side still jacked up.

I took it out for a test drive after. The I liked how it felt off-road better, but it felt loose at highway speeds on-road. I did drive it faster than I ever have before. Only around

Same overall diameter tires, but the half inch more sidewall helped. The painted 15s are a lot lighter than the chrome 16s, that’s for sure!
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Tue May 19, 2020 4:25 pm

This Saturday I taught the kids how to change plugs & wires. Gave a very basic explanation of how engines work. Fuel + air + spark + compression = power!

Apparently a rodent had attempted to build a nest on top of the engine during the week. Cleaned that off & pulled off the injector cover. I was standing on the driver’s side, so I started at #4. Pulled the wire & plug then swapped in a new plug & wire. Easy enough. There are 3 kids, so they each got one of the other cylinders. But along the way we had a couple issues. First off, there was oil above the #1 plug. That’s not a good sign, but apparently it’s not terrible either. I probably just need to reseal the tube. Not surprising considering the age.

Anyway, the other issue was when my 20ish year old 5/8” spark plug socket. The rubber part inside the socket deteriorated & came apart while screwing in the #2 plug. I didn’t realize it until #1 plug wouldn’t come out. Used needle nose pliers to get out the rubber bits & to pull the old #1 plug out. My fiancé was actually at Lowe’s, so I asked her to pick one up for us. We took a break until she got back. Unfortunately, she misunderstood what the picture was that I sent her & she bought a plain 3/8“ socket... No big deal, I’ll return it & get what I need, but the nearest auto parts place to me is a 15 minute drive each way. The perks of country living. So, I get to thinking about what I might have around the house that can get the job done. I get some clear plastic tubing that fits the end of a plug enough to hold it up, run it inside the socket, put the plug into the hose, & lower it into the head. Give it a couple rotations to get it started in the threads & pull the hose loose. Then put my speed wrench on the socket to tighten it up. Easy enough. :yes: :wink:
Then I ask the kids if they knew which wire went to which spot on the coil. The coil is numbered so that should be obvious. Then I show them the picture I took on my phone before which clearly shows the correct orientation. A really useful trick I learned for all kinds of wiring issues.

Then I show them how to check the oil through the dipstick.
After everything is buttoned you I explain that I am expecting it to puff out a bunch of smoke from the oil that got into the cylinder. I describe the different colors of smoke that you might see out of the exhaust & what they typically could indicate. Blueish for oil, white from coolant, & black from fuel. When I crank up the engine there’s a good bit of blue smoke, as expected. It trails off soon enough, so I got in to drive it around a bit while trying to teach the oldest how to drive a manual transmission. She’s had her license a few years, but hasn’t learned this yet. That’s one of the reasons I got this car :grin: And so the younger boys don’t wreck one our daily drivers while learning to drive...
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 am

I only got 3 center caps with my wheels. I kinda dig how the one cap-less wheel looks. More like a racecar lol
What do y’all say?
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Wed May 20, 2020 4:09 pm

I run my wheels without center caps. I think it's fine, depending on the wheel.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu May 21, 2020 9:24 am

The only downfall, if you are running in the winter, is the cap does an amazing job of keeping the axle nut from rusting to the axle stub.

The center cap broke on my Stratus winter wheels I use on the Impreza. That axle nut was much rustier than the other 3 when I put the summer wheels back on. :cussing:

But if you don't have road salt, then it probably doesn't matter. Or just remember to spray the nut and stub down with rust inhibitor...

I'm thinking of getting "Jeep" center caps, to piss off everyone. :lol:

Edit (back to the neon): Oh yeah, the small cap on the rear hub that seals the nut/bearing, costs about $25 each, so keeping those from rusting in place is also a wise idea. You have to destroy them to get them off once the rust does it's work.

They are tough enough to remove as is. And they are application specific, there aren't any cheap substitutes, believe me, I have searched.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Fri May 22, 2020 10:21 am

We don’t have road salt issues in Texas. I don’t think it snowed all winter.

I did notice that the seat rails are rusting pretty bad inside the car.
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon May 25, 2020 3:58 am

I like the new wheels. I say run without the caps.
So far it has been a fun little car to play with! Kinda funny how I got a 4x4 V8 truck to drive on the street & a sporty little econocar to drive off-road
Yeah ~70% of the vehicles on the nicely paved Kansas roads out here are 4x4 SUVs and Trucks that will probably never need the 4x4. LOL

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 pm

I went ahead & ordered another cap.
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:39 am

Haven’t posted here in a while. I picked up a set of eBay 03+ headlights so I could see better.

Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

Return to “Progress/Project Log”