2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bought a new spare tire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> General 2nd Gen Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Bought a new spare tire Reply with quote

Discount Tire recently informed me that, if I had a flat tire, they would not mount my unused temporary spare due to its age. Before buying and mounting a new temporary spare, I would like to know if the spare tire well will accept an SRT-4 rim and full-sized tire. I remember reading that ACR's came with a full-sized spare mounted on an extra BBS rim and this got me to thinking. Thanks in advance. Very Happy

Last edited by Midnight_Rider on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
04R/T
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2005 ACR spare tire was a BF Goodrich Traction T/A size 205/55/15. It came on a steel wheel that fit in the spare well diameter wise but it sat higher than the rest of the trunk floor so the ACR's trunk floor was not flat.
Midnight_Rider

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for correcting me about the ACR spare. I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport 205/50R17XL tires and am wondering if I could fit the current style of these on a standard rim in the Neon spare well. I've had two flats in the last month on work vehicles (one actually exploded at 100,800 miles and left me stranded eight miles east of the Illinois state line on my way to Indianapolis) so flat tires have been on my mind.
thomas_w
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two flat tires on my way back from California last summer. One of them was due to the old age of the tire. So I definitely get where you are coming from. Can't help you much with the tire size, though. You could measure the space for the wheel in the trunk since you will need 205 mm of space. But it sounds from the previous post that the trunk floor will not be flat with that size tire in there.
Midnight_Rider

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, two coming back from CA? I feel for you.

Maybe if I knew the statistics of a Mopar steelie that will fit in the Neon well (a part number would really help)- I could see if bypassing buying another temporary spare is possible. If I can't do this, I'll end up having to buy another temp spare and have it mounted on the smaller rim. Plus, Discount Tire told me that I won't be able to find an OEM temp spare as the manufacturer has stopped making them (meaning I would have to buy another brand).
jonnymopar
Yep, still drivin it

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably rare as hen's teeth by now, but you could try to find the domed cover from an ACR. I know it wouldn't be original to your car, but it would still be OEM. You could have your full-size spare that way.

There are some pictures of it here: https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=281549

2003 Neon SXT
1989 Daytona ES 2.4L Turbo
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are depending on them to come out and install the spare, you are going to run into this every 6 years, no matter which option you choose.

Because that is the amount of time they are supposed to be changed, due to poorer quality of materials used in modern tires.

Due more to legal issues, they probably won't even repair a tire that is close to/older than 6 years. They are not allowed to sell tires that are that old, even sitting on a shelf.

So my suggestion is to learn how to read the date codes on tires, so you don't get sold a set that is 3 or 4 years old, and in 2 or 3 years get screwed over due to a minor issue.

Being that you don't put a lot of miles on, tossing barely worn tires could be a major blood loss to your wallet every 6 years. So "Smoke 'em if you got 'em!" May as well have some fun for the money spent. Laughing

Then there is the possibility that eventually, they will stop making that size. It has already happened to Ford Explorer owners. 245/70/15 was the oem size. I used those on my XJ Cherokee. Then they weren't available any longer. At that time, there were a lot more Explorers on the road than SRT-4's Tard Bang

My 1939 Ford pick up box trailer has the same tires it had when it was made into a trailer in 1956. My guess is those Firestones are a lot older than 1956, and the still hold air, and carry a load. Try that with today's tires. ROFL

But installing the doughnut yourself will probably get you the rated 50 miles to a Discount Tire to have your full size fixed/replaced. Because I don't see why you would drive the car there to have them put a doughnut on. It's not like the tire has been out in the elements for 12 years.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
If you are depending on them to come out and install the spare,..

No, I wasn't counting on someone else doing it. I had asked the last time I was in for a tire pressure check about what Michelin currently has to replace my tires so that I could start saving for the future expense and this is when I was told that my OEM spare is too old for use. I don't like temporary spares anyway (experience with them at work has shown how really useless they are and some of our vehicles don't even have spares anyway).

Does anyone know the part numbers for the ACR dome and the ACR steel full-sized wheel?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a temporary spare over a can of fix a flat and a cheap 12 volt compressor any day.

I'd like to see the latter fix a hole torn in a sidewall...

Seeing some of the abuse the "less than intelligent" put space savers through, I can't agree they are totally useless.

But a full size is always nice, especially if you have a ways to go, and don't really want to have to stop to get a tire. Unless you are after weight reduction, full size wins out.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnymopar wrote:
There are some pictures of it here: https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=281549

I forgot to thank you for the link but, even though it was nice to see the pics, there was no mention of the part number.

I bought the Mopar steelie (4879251AB) that the ACR VIN pointed to and had a Cooper Arizonian 205/65/R15 mounted on it today at Discount Tire (the closest they had to the size I needed and USA made). Interestingly enough, when I've provided the VIN for an ACR, dealerships have told me that the ACR spare tire carpet number is the same as what came with my car. I've ordered an ACR carpet (QU37VXLAD) to see if there is any difference. I sure hope so- the spare is a little oversized for the well and my OEM carpet cover doesn't fit. The trunk floor is now anything but flat so this makes my Mopar Neon trunk liner pretty ineffective. BRR suggested that I order a full-size spare wheel hold down bolt (06036168AA) so its on the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> General 2nd Gen Discussion All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: