2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How-To: 300M Mirrors on Neon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> How-To's -> HT Exterior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnuserup
LE, R/T, SXT, SRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: How-To: 300M Mirrors on Neon Reply with quote

Belonging to the discussion at this Thread I met a 300M buddy today to compare if the mirrors would be interchangeable.

They wont fit directly but it should be possible to change the mounting and plug. The rest seems to be similar.

300M-Mirrors electrical heated, e-adjustable with side-turnlights original

300M-Mirror on Neon door - the mounting is to small, has a different form and the 300M-Mirrors seem to be always painted Rolling Eyes

The housing and mirror seems to be the same.
Next time I will meet him again and we will try to cross the Neon and 300M Mirrors, because he likes to get the electric folding function on his 300M (which is available on uk-Neons), I like to get the turn signals on my Neon and he told, he succesfully disassembled the 300M Mirror totally a few months ago.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you would need electric folding neon mirrors to even begin. cussing

Those aren't the easiest/cheapest things to get here in the States.

But thanks for something else to dream about. Very Happy

I have the Concorde (LH) seats tho. thumbup

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Gnuserup
LE, R/T, SXT, SRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them already here for two or three years now but not managed to get them on my neon Laughing
The 300M Mirrors including turn light seem to be more rare than them.

I will keep this thread on after working with this buddy on the mirrors Very Happy
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnuserup wrote:
...the 300M-Mirrors seem to be always painted Rolling Eyes

Yep, they are always painted. Well, with the naked eye, I had always thought that these two types of mirrors would be interchangeable but now I see that there is a little more to a switch than just a parts swap. I hope that you are successful as the 300M mirrors would really jazz up the Neon's appearence.
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this isnn't news to me, it's pretty obvious the shape of the mount is different. However, like you said and I thought, the mirror itself APPEARS to be the same shape. I wanted to swap housings and bases. There is a How-To on LHForums that discusses removing the mirror from the base to replace the signal lense with a Klearz unit. I don't believe an electric folding mirror would be needed. Just a regular folding mirror. AFAIK they aren't power folding (in the US anyway) they just had an option for "memory" on the drivers side. But that's for the glass itself.

http://www.lhforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=191&highlight=mirrors
Gnuserup
LE, R/T, SXT, SRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - thanks for the link.

The power folding mirrors are no must for trying to interchange 300M and Neon mirrors but by the way very helpful to take a look if the 300M mount would be useable for that feature.
Further that 300M memory-function could be interesting for the neon, too.
The 300M buddy told me that he made this function available on his. Should work like turning the mirrorplate down for getting the car parked right and goes back into the primary position if I understood him right.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need the RKE module, (I think) for the memory, as I believe that is where it is stored for seat positions. I could have got the seats with the memory option, but it would have done me no good without the RKE from a higher end car. My car does not have RKE anyways.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting about the memory... Personally I don't want it and can care less, but I know for the LH it's a direct swap into cars that didn't have it. The harness is different though. A 7 pin vs the standard 3 pin.
Midnight_Rider

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never took the bright mouldings on the 300M into account until the OP posted the side-by-side pics. Would there be a way to black out the mouldings and trim them to fit the openings on Neons?
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're connected to the car, and it would still be the wrong shape/size. If the OP can verify that the mirror housing itself is the same for both the 300M and the neon (dimensions) It SHOULD follow that the mirrors can swap bases to make it work. It's a very delicate procedure from what I've read, but unless I can find a set of 300MS mirrors decently priced I may never get to toy with my theory Sad
Midnight_Rider

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidepipe87 wrote:
...unless I can find a set of 300MS mirrors decently priced I may never get to toy with my theory Sad

Your theory? I thought that it was mine! Laughing Great minds think alike- I've been suggesting for years that someone look into trying this swap.
Gnuserup
LE, R/T, SXT, SRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky as I sometimes be, I unwitting bought a 300M Mirror about 2 years ago. It was declared as a defective mirror out of a Neon Laughing so I bought it, because I wanted to try out how to disassemble the mirrorplate. After I had done this it got back into the box and I never cared about it anymore - until yesterday.

Funny is, that I got this mirror with me to compare it with the 300M. Not surprisingly that it had been fitting 100 % Tard Bang

Back home I thought about it once more and hold this mirror onto my 5th door and recognized that its not a neon-mirror, but a 300M.

Good thing is, that I already owe a cheap 300M mirror. Next week I will get a defective (really) Neon mirror and then they will be crossed laughing3
Gnuserup
LE, R/T, SXT, SRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a damaged Neon mirror today and tried.
Found out that the Mirrorplates are the same, even the housing and the mounting inside it, the servo and plug are different, the mounting is different.

So you will be able to use the hole housing and mirrorplate from an 300M Very Happy

Take away this part (open tongs on the right side and lift there carefully)

Unscrew these three with Torx 10

The inner mounting is fixed by three braised plastikparts, cut away the "ring" and you could take it simply out.
So you can think about installing an aftermarket LED-Turnsignallight at the housing Laughing

sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, sir just proved what I had always thought. Now can you assemble one so we can see it on the neon??? Smile
Midnight_Rider

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause
Yes, let's see one put together now!
Gnuserup
LE, R/T, SXT, SRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatelly both mirrors were damaged before disassembling.
You can see on the pictures that on both mirrormountings the pins are damaged. Seems to be the regular damage on that kind of mirrors.
So I got no working sample, but just to take a look...:

Neon mounting, 300M housing

sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh ok, so you got a broken 300M non-signal mirror. I see now.
Gnuserup
LE, R/T, SXT, SRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update - I bought an inside- rearviewmirror with autodim out of an 300M. The socket is comparable so you can directly install that mirror onto the neon. Only the plug is different, so you better try to get a mirror including that different plug...

2005.Neon.SXT
Semper Fi
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can get a Buick Park Avenue's rearview with Auto-Dim and a Compass. It's got the same plug as the Neon, just replace the wires behind the plug and you're done Smile

How's the 300M Mirrors comin along?

Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... Sad
Gnuserup
LE, R/T, SXT, SRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - good to know Laughing

I only tried to put the 300M-mirror on the mirror but had not left it as the plugthing has to be fixed before. It looks nearly the same as yours in your picture.
srtjesse
2GN Registrant

Post: #21   PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a very old thread but this is intresting has anyone actually done this mod i would like to see how these mirrors look on a neon thanks

2004 white dodge neon 2.4 DOHC swapped
2004 red dodge neon srt-4 gone Sad
2000 flat black plymouth neon 2.0 DOHC swapped gone Sad
2002 silver dodge neon parts car R.I.P
2000 green dodge neon parts car R.I.P
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #22   PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it. Check my progress log. Posted a few videos
srtjesse
2GN Registrant

Post: #23   PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really clean bro thanks for the heads up

2004 white dodge neon 2.4 DOHC swapped
2004 red dodge neon srt-4 gone Sad
2000 flat black plymouth neon 2.0 DOHC swapped gone Sad
2002 silver dodge neon parts car R.I.P
2000 green dodge neon parts car R.I.P
1LapSRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #24   PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the blinker work?
Splice and run a wire from somewhere or is something more "OE" possible?
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #25   PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
Gnuserup
LE, R/T, SXT, SRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #26   PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is, that you need to splice them in as there originally is no turn signal wired up on the door.

It had definitely been no electrical problem to wire the in Germany needed side turn lights ( in the fenders) in on my SXT, so if you do so for the mirrors ( and surely have no fender lights in us), you should be good to go.
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #27   PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spliced into the turn signal wiring in the dash harness and had to run new wires out into the door wiring grommet then just added the pin into one of the empty cavities in the mirror connector and matched it on the mirror side. For the ground I just used a ring terminal on the end of the negative lead and put it under the nut for one of the mirror screws.
Monday
n00b

Post: #28   PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hliin 2t1A.8.8oo8ies
enl
hlinelin 6012.8.8.9.
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #29   PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing3
akirony
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #30   PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really Monday? You're the reason people hate Monday lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> How-To's -> HT Exterior All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: