2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 2002 R/T Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #271   PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 3500 miles on the new setup. All of the lifters are new, so it would be extra frustrating if they're making the noise. I'm contemplating swapping the old lifters back in to see if the sound changes at all.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #272   PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. I was going to swap over to the old lifters to check but some of my old lifters were already bad haha. Good luck!

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #273   PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I swapped the stock lifters back onto the head and it made no difference in sound. I'm pretty sure it's valve related at this point. Probably an out of spec valve guide.

Just for reference, here's what an aftermarket intake rocker looks like (Sealed Power, bottom) next to a Mopar rocker (top):

^These intake rockers are from the newer set. I ordered a full set of Mopar rockers, but one of them was defective and came apart before I installed it, so I replaced it with a new Sealed Power unit that I got in a hurry from a forum member. I don't know about you, but I think the Sealed Power unit actually looks to be of better build quality than the Mopar unit. Kind of depressing.

Idiot moment of the day: When I reassembled it with the old rockers, the car didn't want to start initially. When it finally did start, it ran like shit and sounded like it was broken. After tearing back into it and then reassembling it again, and rechecking everything, it still wouldn't run right. Then it dawned on me...in my hurry to reassemble it before the sun went down, I had accidentally swapped the 3 and 4 plug wires. I switched them back and it purred like normal again. Crisis averted and everything, but I really felt like an idiot.

On the bright side, I can have the valve cover off in about two minutes flat, now.

Tard Bang

ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #274   PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought it was a valve guide on mine so I bought a reman head off ebay with a 3 angle valve job and they supposedly replaced valve guides if bad. Unfortunately, I was wrong which makes me think I have a oil passage issue or, of all things, the trans is vibrating causing this noise. I plan on driving mine for a bit to see if it goes away ( Rolling Eyes ).

Keep us posted!

2001 r/t
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #275   PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put over 100,000 hard, rev limit bouncing, high speed driving miles of douchebaggery on my old '02 Neon. I even added stainless oversized valves, had the head ported, and everything. All with the factory valve guides and rocker assemblies intact. It never made this clicking noise. Ever. I don't know what the deal is, but this car seems to be cursed by shitty noises. I really want to just gut this thing and start over with an SRT swap, but I really can't afford it right now.

ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #276   PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, you and me both. There are a couple of srt engines on craigslist and, boy, have I been tempted.

2001 r/t
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #277   PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm still running without a boot, I plan to remove the Mopar STS, clean, paint, and reinstall it. I figured since I was going to have it out, I might as well add some goodies, right? I picked these up for twenty five bucks.

I noticed while shifting, that the whole base rocks back and forth on the rubber OEM mounts. I think these will do a great job at removing the last bit of play in the shifter. It's probably overkill, but whatever. They were cheap.

I don't think I'd go as far as to add the solid metal shift bushings; Boogers are good enough. With everything being solid metal, I think a lot of extra stress would be put on the shift linkage itself and the remaining factory connections. With a few hard shifts, I could see some increased potential for carnage.

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #278   PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear wise, I think the Boogers would outlast aluminum shifter bushings.

Unless you used something like ES suspension lube on them.

For the trans end, I think any road grime would eventually get in there. Not to mention two different metals, and moisture added to the mix.

FWIW, my '99 has one booger, and a rollerskate bearing in the trans end.

The bearing was there from a PO. It looks to be pressed in pretty good, so I figured best to let sleeping dogs lie. Honestly, i don't see a bit of difference between that and the Boogers in my '01.

But I like the idea of a sealed bearing over a solid aluminum bushing. As long as the seals remain intact, they will virtually last forever in this application. Not much stress or movement.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #279   PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifter update. The base of all the OEM/Mopar shifters is mild steel, with no coating at all. As expected, it gathers a bit of surface rust over time and looks like ass. Not normally a big deal for anyone, except weirdos like me, who decide not to run a boot. Here's the disassembled base, before I ran a wire wheel and some sand paper over it.

After a bit of grinding on the rough edges, rust removal, and some thorough cleaning, I sprayed it with the color I used on my wheels. It's really close to the new Dodge color "Destroyer Grey" which I'm kind of obsessed with.

The cast aluminum cradle at the base of the shifter rod had a lot of ugly casting boogers on it and rough surfaces. I hit that up with some carbide bits, a wire wheel, and some sand paper to give it a machined look and then reassembled it all.

Next, I began the reassembly process with the Torque Solution solid base bushings. They fit perfectly and went on pretty easily.

Yeah, I really need to vacuum the carpet. My shop vac broke and I haven't had time to take it to a coin-op place in a while.

Here's the final before and after:

It looks a hell of a lot better than it used to. The boot-free look isn't for everyone, but I dig it. The new bushings make this thing feel rock solid. Even bigger difference than I was expecting. It's nice.

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #280   PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks much better but I'm not brave enough to go boot-free like you.
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #281   PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better! Makes a nice little stash area

2005 Neon SRT-4 #6 and WILL STAY
2008 TL Type S
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #282   PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New development from last night. A buddy of mine is moving and needed to clear out his garage. I helped him out by taking home an SRT-4 2.4 long block and a whole shitload of stock and aftermarket SRT parts. The engine is filthy and in need of a rebuild. I'm still missing a lot of parts for the swap, but it's a step in the right direction and I'm pretty excited about it.

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #283   PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use a few buddies like that!

Very Happy

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #284   PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...they weren't free, but I did get a screamin' deal for all the parts I got.

jonnymopar
200k and counting...

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #285   PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeremyJ wrote:
I noticed while shifting, that the whole base rocks back and forth on the rubber OEM mounts.

JeremyJ wrote:
Shifter update....The new bushings make this thing feel rock solid. Even bigger difference than I was expecting. It's nice.

Brings back memories seeing somebody talk about this mod.

2003 Neon SXT
1989 Daytona ES 2.4L Turbo
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #286   PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned Neons for fifteen years and somehow never installed a set of these until just now. I think they've been added to my list of "things that should be done to every Neon", right after Boogers. They look good, work well, and they're cheap. What's not to like?

I've been pricing some of the parts I'll need for the swap. This is going to take a while. I'm going to be moving much slower on that aspect of the project than I did with the 2.0 rebuild. The biggest missing piece right now is the transmission. I'm going to have to save some money and keep my eyes on the "for sale" sections of the Facebook groups.

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #287   PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news about the parts. I'm glad that they went to someone who appreciates them. thumbup
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #288   PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you are lucky. I just picked up an srt. Come to find out, it is cleaner/less rusty than my 01. Now I have to figure out which one of the 4 to get rid of before the snow flies.

2001 r/t
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #289   PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducktapetg wrote:
Man, you are lucky. I just picked up an srt. Come to find out, it is cleaner/less rusty than my 01. Now I have to figure out which one of the 4 to get rid of before the snow flies.

Get rid of the one with the most rust ... mechanical issues are easier.

1952 Chevrolet Stylene Sport Coupe
2005 Dodge SRT-4
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #290   PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No progress on this thing in a while. Just driving it and researching 2.4 parts for the engine in the garage. I did have this happen the other day:

Damn eBay headlights. I pulled it off, dried it out, and caked the outer seal with clear silicone. Hopefully it'll stay dry this time. I might preemptively do the same to the passenger headlight as well. I'm bummed Modern quit selling the Depo racoon eyes. I had a set of those on my old '02 and they lasted for years without a single leak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Progress/Project Log All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: