2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.0 w/header and no cats best muffler option?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
00Plymouth2.0
n00b

2000 Plymouth Neon LX

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: 2.0 w/header and no cats best muffler option? Reply with quote

I put a header in my neon with a 2.0 sohc and the downpipe deleted the cats and I had a straight through middle on it so it's very loud and very raspy, it sounds like the generic Honda exhaust, I'm wanting to get a deeper more aggressive sound, volume isn't necessarily an issue, it can get quieter or louder, I'm most concerned with the actual exhaust tone itself
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the catalytic converter makes getting rid of rasp a bit more difficult. A chambered muffler with sound absorbing mat is the most effective, but also takes up the most space.

You could combine a smaller chambered muffler with a Vibrant UltraQuiet resonator, and minimize the rasp. The Vibrant resonator isn't really quiet, but it does seem to do a decent job of smoothing out the rasp. They are also about $100 each.

Basically removing the cat will cost you in getting a nicer sound. The cat is the most effective rasp killer available. And removing it really doesn't free up too much power.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
00Plymouth2.0
n00b

2000 Plymouth Neon LX

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Removing the catalytic converter makes getting rid of rasp a bit more difficult. A chambered muffler with sound absorbing mat is the most effective, but also takes up the most space.

You could combine a smaller chambered muffler with a Vibrant UltraQuiet resonator, and minimize the rasp. The Vibrant resonator isn't really quiet, but it does seem to do a decent job of smoothing out the rasp. They are also about $100 each.

Basically removing the cat will cost you in getting a nicer sound. The cat is the most effective rasp killer available. And removing it really doesn't free up too much power.

I had figured removing the cats would get a lot louder sound and I wasn't sure about the rasp but it definitely gained it, sadly the header that I had gotten required that I removed the cats and now I'm not totally sure what I'll do but that's definitely an option, I've had turbo mufflers suggested to me before but I've never really checked them out to see what difference they make
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried turbo mufflers in my '99, but they were still pretty loud.

'99 is 2.4 swapped, no cat, midlength PT Cruiser header. So I have been there getting a decent sound and not horribly loud. I ended up going with an AP Exhaust DOHC neon replacement muffler.

It's not perfect, but it is the best compromise I've found. the welded on hanger brackets would need to be modded to fit a 2nd gen neon.

A V-6 Camaro muffler might be an option. It's what I used on my '01, but that one has the cat. I also used a small resonator in the midpipe with it. Kind of sounded like the mid eighties Z-24 Chevy.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
00Plymouth2.0
n00b

2000 Plymouth Neon LX

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could definitely be an idea, I need a new intermediate pipe anyway so that would be a good time to include a resonator and the camaro muffler could definitely be an option
00Plymouth2.0
n00b

2000 Plymouth Neon LX

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A V-6 Camaro muffler might be an option.

Out of curiosity would you suggest a factory style or like an aftermarket muffler?
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Camaro style Flowmaster muffler on my old '02 with a header and no cat. It sounded like shit. Crazy loud and raspy. I added a Vibrant resonator (from Modern Performance) and it helped take the edge off a bit. It quieted some of the cracks and pops, as well as making a small improvement to the rasp.

The two brands of mufflers that seem to do the most for taming the rasp and keeping the tone sounding mean are Borla and Magnaflow. Personally, I've been eyeing the Magnaflow 12265. It's a 2.5" single inlet, dual outlet (Camaro style) muffler that should tuck nicely under the Neon's rear bumper. All the Youtube videos I can find with it, sound pretty damn good.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

00Plymouth2.0
n00b

2000 Plymouth Neon LX

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to look into that, I'm mainly trying to get a little deeper tone and eliminate some of the rasp, I've ordered a new intermediate pipe which I'm putting a resonator into and I got an oem style 83-92 camaro muffler so I'm going to try that and see how it goes, I really don't care if it's that loud I just like to be able to hear it some and have a good sound. As of now I only have one of those things and it's definitely not a good sound, granted I'm sure my leaking intermediate pipe doesn't help in the slightest
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there and done that as many other members have. My end results you won't be able to get though.....
I had a short tube SS header and a full engine back SS Mopar Performance exhaust. On the downpipe I used a plug fowler to offset the downstream O2 sensor so it would not trigger a CAT code. Outback was a Mopar Performance SS single in and Dual out muffler. As others have mentioned a "Camaro" style muffler.
At the time Mopar was using "Borla" systems as there aftermarket exhausts. So all in all I had a "Borla" rear muffler that was single in dual out. I like the sound of the Magna Flo because its deeper with less "Rasp" sound. But I had chosen the "Borla" style. The "Borla" was raspy when cold but once warmed up it was moderate in daily driving, but when I opened it up it was almost like I went full straight through open exhaust.

*****edit******

I just dug up the video real quick....

http://blackroseracing.net/2002RT/Borla%20axle%20back.mp4

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an OEM replacement Camaro muffler. IIRC, it was a Walker Queitflow. It was still pretty loud as it is probably used in combination with a factory resonator.

Thus why I had a small resonator added in the mid pipe. IDK what brand the resonator was, but it wasn't any more than maybe 3 or 4" and not that large in diameter. But it made a huge difference in sound.

The muffler is 2.25" inlet,and dual 2.00" outlets. The down side of Walker, is they will rust out in less than 3 years. The AP muffler I'm using on my '99 is still rust free after about 4 years.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
00Plymouth2.0
n00b

2000 Plymouth Neon LX

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I'm going to see how I like the sound with the muffler and resonator I ordered and if I don't I might look into a magnaflow
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Magnaflow mufflers are a straight through design. Basically just a huge resonator. Without a catalytic converter, they will be on the loud side.

More so if you go with a dual outlet. The Magnaflow that came with my '99 was a dual outlet made into a copy of the DOHC muffler. Just with 2.5 inlet and dual 2.5 outlets. Let's just say there may as well have been no muffler at all. It was ungodly loud.

It looked damn nice though.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: