2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using R/T PCM on Magnum Top End Swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayflea22
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Using R/T PCM on Magnum Top End Swap Reply with quote

I am swapping a 2001 R/T Magnum IM and Head into a 2001 SE. If I use the R/T PCM will that work to operate the IM valve actuator or will I still need to use a window switch, etc. ?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiring and relay are not there, so the PCM cannot operate the MTV solenoid.

If you add a pin socket/wire to the PCM connector, and wire it to a relay, then it will operate the MTV.

The other issue is most if not all R/T PCM's are SKIM equipped. You will need to add the SKIM module and have the keys from the donor car to make it work.

You can try to just plug the R/T PCM in and see what happens. You might get lucky. If your '01 is skim equipped, you will want to disconnect the SKIM module first.

If you have the PCM, it is worth using, if it plugs in and runs the engine.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
jayflea22
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Maybe I'll get lucky with the R/T PCM. But would it be easier to just use the SE PCM and wiring and avoid the SKIM problem?
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a way to do operate the intake butterflies with a window switch and there is a how to somewhere on here.
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jayflea22
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I know about the window switch method which I can use with my existing PCM but was hoping that using an R/T PCM would be easier. So what is a SKIM module and how will I know if my SE PCM has it?
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SKIM is the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module.

In longer words, it looks for the correct chip in the key whenever the vehicle is started. If it exists, it's fine, if it doesn't then it shuts the car down.

Easiest way to know is if you have a black key or a gray key. Gray key means you have a SKIM because there is a chip in it. The black key is much thinner and is just a key.
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jayflea22
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have a black key.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R/T or ACR PCM has a better tune than the stock PCM. It is part of the 18 hp gain you get from the IM, exhaust header, cam. and R/T muffler. You aren't going to get quite the same amount of power by just installing the top end parts without the the PCM.

Whether or not it is simpler is basically a wash. If the PCM works, it is less wiring and a cleaner look, as far as the relay part. But without the engine harness, you still need to wire the MTV solenoid.

You can use the spare fan relay socket holes in the PDC to keep a clean look if you desire though. But you would need to remove it and run the wires from underneath.

I got lucky, and the R/T PCM I bought works due to a communication bus error keeping SKIM from functioning. The downside is Torque will not connect to it.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're good with factory wiring diagrams, you'd probably be better off getting a Syked PCM and running a window switch. More power, too.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

akirony
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also send it to sidepipe87 and get it reflashed to your Vin if you can wait for a few weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Naturally Aspirated All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: