2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Walbro 255 and Stock Regulator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
actsof3000
n00b

Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Walbro 255 and Stock Regulator Reply with quote

I'm running a SRT swap, but seems to be running rich.

I'm wondering if the stock fuel pressure regulator is sufficient to keep the fuel pressure at 58psi with the Walbro 255 behind it.

If not, what kind of fuel pressure regulators are recommended.

Let me know, if there are any additional questions.
Has stock injectors from PT GT, and stock SRT fuel rail.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without checking the actual pressure at the rail, it's mostly a guessing game.

But the regulator should be able to bypass enough fuel to keep the 255 from making more than the rated pressure. SRT's were a higher flow than the standard neon pump anyways. So it's not as big of a jump as using the 255 on a standard neon. The regulators are all the same for the given pressure rating.

The 49 psi regulator on my '99 kept it at 49 psi. (with the 225) My '99 is a N/A 2.4 swap. So it would use less fuel than a boosted 2.4.

I bumped up to a 58 PSI unit from AutoZone, and it puts out 63 psi, but I wrote that off to it being a non Mopar part.

Neither regulator are available from the dealer anymore, unless you know someone that has a stash of BNIB Mopar parts.

Otherwise, we are at the mercy of the aftermarket.

But 63 PSI is still within spec, just not nominal spec. Being at the top of the range, the PCM should be able to compensate via pulse width to the injectors.

I would check the actual pressure before spending to modify the fuel system.

If the issue is something else, upgrading the fuel system would be a waste.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
actsof3000
n00b

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, Bill.

What's the recommended way of check fuel pressure on these cars?
My understanding is that they don't have a schrader valve to plug into.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either get an early fuel rail that has a valve, or get a fuel line repair piece that has the crimp, cut it in two, and attach a pressure gauge to that.

Then plug it into the line that connects to the fuel rail.

You could even use a tee, and the other half to connect, so you can check pressure with it running. Won't work so well for driving...

A cheap air pressure gauge from Wal Mart will work for testing purposes. I wouldn't use it for a permanent gauge. That will at least tell you if you're in the ball park.

Even if everything is bone stock, you may want to invest in a wide band, just so you know where the A/F ratios actually are. There isn't much room when boosted for error.

$200 might be a bit of money, but it is cheaper than replacing engine parts.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Motor Swap All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: