2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midnight_Rider's progress log

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #841   PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
I would just get the TYC ones. They are OEM replacements and pretty much the exact same thing.

Thanks for the suggestion but I would buy the OEM Mopar ones rather than aftermarket.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fog-Light-MOPAR-5303482AF-fits-03-05-Dodge-Neon/361976129770?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #842   PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get time tonight, I can take some pics of the pair I have, if you are interested. IDK if I'll ever use them.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #843   PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but I'll purchase new ones when the time comes.
Midnight_Rider

Post: #844   PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washed the car, only the second time I've done it this year. This makes three washes so far in 2017- Ziebart washed it back in June. I'm going to do better next year.

Next up is the body shop appointment in a few weeks. Not too soon either- the OEM trunklid leaked like a sieve today. cussing
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #845   PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you have all the seals replaced already?
Trunk opening, spoiler, taillights......
Midnight_Rider

Post: #846   PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not yet. I have a new trunklid welt that goes with the new trunklid and spoiler. I also have new taillight gaskets but haven't replaced the OEM ones yet... perhaps I should have that done at the shop as well?
Midnight_Rider

Post: #847   PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Try a local salvage yard? Any 00-05 Neon trunk will work. Find a nice used one with no rust and have the body shop paint it PX8. Used ones go for under $100 or so and probably even cheaper at a salvage yard. $790 shipped seems steep when you are going to need it primered and painted.

I guess that I should have listened to you. I dropped the car and all of the parts off at the body shop this afternoon. I had never removed the trunklid from the shipping box- that was a big mistake. Either Vintage Parts sent a defective lid to me or it was damaged during shipment. The shop is going to have to use body filler to correct some of the damage (what can't be hammered out) so that the lid is usable. I will confess to shedding a few tears... now I'm just angry.
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #848   PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer Sad Probably damaged in shipment. How long ago did you buy it? No way you can return it? I wouldn't want a trunk with body filler on it, depending where that filler is at.

So you just dropped the box off to body shop without inspecting the part yourself. Sad

2005 Neon SRT-4 #6 and WILL STAY
2008 TL Type S
Midnight_Rider

Post: #849   PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
How long ago did you buy it? No way you can return it?

It is way past Vintage Part's return period so I am stuck with it.
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
So you just dropped the box off to body shop without inspecting the part yourself. Sad

I handn't removed it from the Mopar shipping box to prevent possible damage before it got to the body shop. Had I known when the appointment was finally going to be, I would have had Vintage ship directly to the shop and the owner would have refused it and demanded a replacement. Too late for that now.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #850   PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Mopar sell bondo?

Not that it helps, but when we stripped my brother's '71 'Cuda, the rear quarter at the passenger door opening was about 3/4" too short, so the factory filled in the gap with body filler.

Wouldn't have known it if the paint wasn't sanded down to the metal.

But hey, even cars off the assembly line had a "little" body filler.

I would ask them to soak the inside of the deck lid with epoxy primer and paint it too. Getting those edges sealed will prevent a lot of rust from happening in those seams.

I used Rustoleum on my Certifit hood, back in 2007, and there isn't any rust in the seams to this day. Not bad for a $50 hood.

I sprayed the rusty metal primer inside, and kept turning the hood until I seen paint running out of all the little crevices. Repeated with top coat after a few days. I let it bake in the sun between coats.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #851   PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
Does Mopar sell bondo?

No, nor do they sell electrical tape for underhood wiring harnesses.
occasional demons wrote:
I would ask them to soak the inside of the deck lid with epoxy primer and paint it too. Getting those edges sealed will prevent a lot of rust from happening in those seams.

One of the reasons why I chose this particular body shop is that the owner/operator has done many custom show cars in the past. He is going to paint and clear coat the inside of the trunk lid (just like all of the restored Dusters I've seen at Carlisle).

I could have had him work on my OEM trunk but it is full of rust that can't be seen, a result of the spoiler leaking all of these years. Rust like that is another reason why I purchased new rather than buying used. Apparently, even buying new doesn't mean perfection. Rolling Eyes

I also discovered yesterday that one of Ziebart's holes in the rear driver's side rocker panel (just ahead of the wheel well) has blistering paint/rust around it that wasn't there before the last car wash. The car has been sitting in a dry garage since the wash so I'm baffled as to where this is coming from. bandhead
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #852   PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:

I also discovered yesterday that one of Ziebart's holes in the rear driver's side rocker panel (just ahead of the wheel well) has blistering paint/rust around it that wasn't there before the last car wash. The car has been sitting in a dry garage since the wash so I'm baffled as to where this is coming from. bandhead

Probably from them drilling the hole.

It's tough to get the edges sealed as well as the original paint sealed the metal.

It's why when I did rust proofing, I never drilled into any metal that would be visible with the door open or otherwise. I removed interior panels or rocker sills to gain access to the interior spaces. If i had to drill, it was behind a trim panel, and I covered the hole and surrounding area with rust proofing, and put the trim back in place. The mess was hidden from view, and didn't need to be wiped away.

It's a shame these were Chevy's, but even though they weren't my choice of car, I still took pride in my work, and made the job look a nice as possible. I had a few customers eat crow after accusing me of not rust proofing the car. Other than the black under spray, there were no outward signs of it have been done.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #853   PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziebart already fixed it once several years ago due to rust issues around this same hole but my warranty expired this summer. Now it's up to me to get it fixed.

One week without my Neon... I have made it a point not to open the door from my house to the garage to avoid seeing the empty place where the SRT normally rests. sad2
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #854   PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:

One week without my Neon... I have made it a point not to open the door from my house to the garage to avoid seeing the empty place where the SRT normally rests. sad2

BNL wrote:
It's been one week since you looked at me...

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #855   PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
BNL wrote:

Just curious- who is "BNL"?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #856   PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:
occasional demons wrote:
BNL wrote:

Just curious- who is "BNL"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU7EGkQj3OA

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #857   PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for quoting Canadians! I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know right away who you were referring to. I should have asked , "who are...?" rather than, "who is...?" Ah yes, Scarborough. I actually looked at houses there back in the mid-90's when I was trying to emigrate to Canada. The suburb was sometimes mockingly referred to as "Scarberia" back then. Laughing
Midnight_Rider

Post: #858   PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SRT is back in its garage. Very Happy

Completed work:

1. New trunk lid painted and clear coated (inside as well);
2. Reproduction anti-theft VIN sticker applied to new trunk lid on D/S;
3. New spoiler painted, clear coated and installed (holes drilled in new trunk lid for mounting);
4. New CHMSL in trunk lid (the OEM one had cracked on D/S);
5. OEM latch, wiring harness, lock cylinder, etc. installed on new trunk lid;
6. New Dodge and SRT-4 badges on trunk lid;
7. New OEM Pentastar badge applied to front P/S skirt;
8. New beltline moldings installed on all four doors.

The body shop also painted part of the front fenders (under the hood- I don't know how else to describe this). I would have had the engine pulled so that the under hood area could be painted but didn't have the cash. Now I have to schedule rust proofing at Ziebart for the new trunk lid. I was told to wait 90 days before waxing. And I'll have to return the car there next spring to address the rust issues around the Ziebart plugs (now it is on both sides of the car).

The really good news is that the new trunk lid didn't need body filler after all!

EDITED due to my forgetting about the beltline moldings.

Last edited by Midnight_Rider on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #859   PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you finally install the new taillight seals Rolling Eyes
thomas_w
2GN Registrant

Post: #860   PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, glad you got it fixed in time for the meet. Hope it fixes your leak issue!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #861   PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackRoseRacing wrote:
Did you finally install the new taillight seals Rolling Eyes

No, I decided that, as long as the OEM seals are still doing their job, I'd leave them alone. I do have a set of seals in stock in case I need them in the future.
thomas_w wrote:
Yeah, glad you got it fixed in time for the meet. Hope it fixes your leak issue!

Yes, I was wondering about our meet date as the shop originally wasn't sure if the work could be completed by the 28th. Plus, I had already paid the fee to attend a meet in Terre Haute next Saturday and was concerned that I might have to skip it. All is well now and up to Mother Nature. Pray
Midnight_Rider

Post: #862   PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint on the new trunk lid had cured enough for me to wax the inside last night. I was advised by the body shop to try black wax from Meguiar's so I gave it a shot. Then, as I was installing the lid carpet, I dropped the last push pin and it fell behind the subwoofer. I'm hoping that the crevice tool on my vacuum cleaner will pick it up- I don't want to have to remove the subwoofer just for this, nor do I want something that might rattle behind it. bandhead
Neon4Life
Manny
2009 Silver Contributor

Post: #863   PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:
The paint on the new trunk lid had cured enough for me to wax the inside last night. I was advised by the body shop to try black wax from Meguiar's so I gave it a shot. Then, as I was installing the lid carpet, I dropped the last push pin and it fell behind the subwoofer. I'm hoping that the crevice tool on my vacuum cleaner will pick it up- I don't want to have to remove the subwoofer just for this, nor do I want something that might rattle behind it. bandhead

you barely drive the car. i doubt youll notice a little rattle. ROFL

thumbup
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048
Midnight_Rider

Post: #864   PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not but I'm still upset with myself for being such a butterfinger. cussing
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #865   PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, if you worried about all the things you let slip through your fingers in your lifetime, you would be in an institution, in jail, or still out there, freaking people out.

ROFL

Being light and plastic, it probably won't make an audible rattle, but you will still know it's there.... Sending you deeper into madness AARGH!

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #866   PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
Being light and plastic, it probably won't make an audible rattle, but you will still know it's there.... Sending you deeper into madness AARGH!

Exactly. Plus, there is the hole in the carpet where that push pin should be and, even if no one else notices, I'll see it every time I open the trunk until it is fixed. bandhead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Progress/Project Log All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Page 29 of 29

Jump to: