2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heavy oil consumption after cylinder head build

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayflea22
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Heavy oil consumption after cylinder head build Reply with quote

I replaced the top end on my 2001 SE with the Magnum intake and head from a 2gn r/t. The head was taken apart, cleaned. honed and polished and then reassembled with the original valves and new guides and seals. I also added a TTI long-tube header and exhaust system. Compression test was good and it has run well. But when I went to change oil after 3,000 miles it was down several quarts and very dirty. I used a detergent to clean the system and put new oil in. After 700 miles it's down 1 quart and dirty again. Power is good, no leaks to be seen and no smoke. I'm guessing the problem is in the fit of the cylinders; bad hone, valve guides? Maybe piston heads? What do you think?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guides and seals are about the only things that would contribute to oil consumption as far as the head is concerned, unless there is a leak at either end of the cam, valve cover, or at the HG.

Short of performing another compression test, both dry and then wet, to check how well the rings are sealing, it's tough to say. The added power might be affecting the rings ability to seal.

The detergent might have removed some carbon build up around the rings that may have been "sealing" them.

A change in oil brand or viscosity can also make a difference. Thicker viscosity is harder for the oil control rings to scrape off the cylinder walls.

Did you retain the catalytic converter? That can help hide signs of oil consumption.

FWIW, my '01 uses a quart or more every 1000 miles, but it doesn't really smoke. (210,000 miles/80 psi cranking compression)

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
jayflea22
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill. I am going to check the compression first and assuming it is good then check the seals and guides. I'm worred that it might be a bad hone. I think your idea about the added power resulting in a weak seal is also a possibility. If it's just a matter of adding a quart of oil every 1,000 miles like you, that would be fine. Thanks for you advice.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the pistons removed and cylinders honed? Or was it just the head that was gone through? Not sure what could be honed in the head.

If the engine block was honed, and you re used the rings (something I wouldn't do), or replaced them, oil consumption would increase until the rings re seat.

depending on the rings, and the hone finish, that could take 500 miles to 2000 miles, or more if not done properly. IIRC, there is a specific hone finish required for the newer engines. I think stock rings are basic cast iron, which seats faster. Chrome or chrome moly take longer to seat, but lasts longer, but I don't think longevity's an issue.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: