2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Car Options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: New Car Options Reply with quote

So a bit ago i sold the neon... im driving my wifes old civic untill we pay off her student loans. we have another year or so but i have started looking at what i want to replace the civic.

Looking for any input you all have, experience, past issues, etc..

im wanting to get a 4 door mid size to full size sedan. new or used, more than likely used as i can get a better bang for the buck. good rear seat room and trunk space. not a toyota camry.

so far my short list is:
Mazda 6
Nissan Altima 3.5
Infinity Q50
Honda Accord V6
Ford Fusion V6

Im open to just about everything in terms of brands but i want something fun to drive and with a bit of power. dodge has nothing to offer me unfortunately although we bought my wife a hemi durango so we still have a dodge.

and finally it has to be BLUE!

Anyone have and opinions on these or others?

subaru, audi hyundai, buick regal are options as well. but looking to stay under about 30K

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
2014 Durango R/T Hemi (the wife's)
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About all Subaru has in that category would be either the regular Impreza or the Legacy.

But neither are going to be a 6 cylinder.

New ones might have the CVT as the trans option. But they also probably are only 2.0 liter engines. The CVT might make up for that though.

I am pretty impressed at the power to the ground in my wife's 2017 Forester. It has the same engine size/power rating as my MTX '10 Impreza, but the CVT really makes better use of the power band than the 5 speed MTX.

It also gets 4 MPG better fuel mileage.

She got the Forester fully loaded for under $27,000. It isn't the top of the scale, but one step from the bottom. It is still very nice for the money. Basically it doesn't have leather or boost.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have an legacy you can get with a 3.6 flat 6 that is intriguing.

How is the cvt? i drove a jeep patriot with the cvt and absolutely hated it it just had a really odd way about it but could have also been because it had no power...

i just spec'd one and it came to 34k but thats also new... and the only other thing i dont like about it is that i cant pick black leather with the navy exterior... has to be "warm Ivory"

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few Darts left on dealer lots, probably at a large savings. hiding
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueneo03 wrote:

How is the cvt? i drove a jeep patriot with the cvt and absolutely hated it it just had a really odd way about it but could have also been because it had no power...

The CVT's are world's better then DCX/FCA's POS they put in the Patriot/Compass/Caliber.

While my mother's Caliber's CVT is still going trouble free, after 145,000 miles, (rare from what I've heard), the performance of it sucks. Between the simulated "Kickdown" of a regular ATX, and the delay in the E throttle, it is absolutely third world quality as far as the driving experience.

In her Forester, when you push the go pedal, it actually goes. No rubber band effect as I like to call the throttle response in the Caliber. Because it's like a 5 pound weight on wheels, attached to a rubber band: You pull on the rubber band, and the weight eventually begins to move.

But I agree, Subaru's color choices are one of the things I am not a fan of.

But I admit, I have also bought plenty of Mopars that weren't exactly my color choice. I guess for me it isn't a deal breaker.

I haven't really looked at Legacys enough to realize they offered the boxer 6. It's interesting, because they aren't using it in the Ascent. That will be powered by a 2.4 direct injected turbo 4.

This thing is close to the Durango in size.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know... that was the first CVT ive driven in a car and it was miserable the whole time i had it. ill have to find one of the subbies to test out theirs.

i think a few of the nissans that i have on my list have a CVT too but i think they have been doing it for a while....

Ya i really like the look of the legacy my only concern would be interior. they have the color i like and i love their blues.. ill just have to see on the cream interior... i hate when they limit what interior color you can have based on the exterior color... like it actually affects it....

Color for me is a big deal! i know im an odd ball on this but i like blues and dont like much of any other colors except a nice forest green... and i have plenty of time to be a little picky with this one... i think it took me like 6 months to find my E-Blue neon with a 5 speed! but it was well worth the wait as i loved the color every day i drove it and the paint stayed looking clean and nice! plus everyone has white, black, gray or red.... i like being different.

Ya, with the 1.8 civic i have been driving with no low end torque and a crappy trans that is constantly downshifting on any slight incline >0.5% (sadly not joking) i want some power and confidence in the engine and not a 5 second wait between pedal input and engine response...

I didnt know subaru was doing another full size SUV! they tried that back with the B9 tribeca and that one went away after not too long.

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 horses, AWD, blue with dark interior, Mopar, in price range...just a thought.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting! do they make one without the 9 speed? i drove a rental one with that and it drove off... like the car overall tho!

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no. 9-speed only. They've supposedly improved the shift quality through software updates, but who knows.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:

Since Darts went out of production over a year ago, the dealers must not have been offering very good deals Laughing

1952 Chevrolet Stylene Sport Coupe
2005 Dodge SRT-4
Midnight_Rider

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theColonel wrote:
Midnight_Rider wrote:

Since Darts went out of production over a year ago, the dealers must not have been offering very good deals Laughing

The vehicles weren't advertised much; in fact, the remaining ones are probably completely unknown to shoppers. Let's get back on topic,please.
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:
The vehicles (Dodge Darts) weren't advertised much; in fact, the remaining ones are probably completely unknown to shoppers. Let's get back on topic,please.

https://www.caranddriver.com/dodge/dart

2005 Dodge SRT-4
Midnight_Rider

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for getting back on topic. Rolling Eyes
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a white 2016 (ish?) Honda accord sport that I thought was sharp looking. I even went through all the effort of looking it up haha. It doesn't look like i has a v6 but you can get a 6-speed.

I know a member here bought an Acura TL type s in blue. Super sharp looking, loaded, has a v6, and I am sure it it can be had for less than 20k. Problem is, they will have higher mileage.

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducktapetg wrote:
I saw a white 2016 (ish?) Honda accord sport that I thought was sharp looking. I even went through all the effort of looking it up haha. It doesn't look like i has a v6 but you can get a 6-speed.

I know a member here bought an Acura TL type s in blue. Super sharp looking, loaded, has a v6, and I am sure it it can be had for less than 20k. Problem is, they will have higher mileage.

MyNeonSaysHi owns one of these

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-quickest-sedans-of-2008-30000-to-40000-2008-acura-tl-type-s-page-5

2005 Dodge SRT-4
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducktapetg wrote:

Quote:

Yeah that is me.

Somewhat recent picture of the car. I love it and don't plan on selling it. bought from original owner. Had like 76k on it. which is very low. 08, last year. Had like 86k on it now. Drive it everywhere since I am always working on my damn Neon lol. So quiet inside. Interior is amazing. Has good power. 286hp I believe. Looks great. Cannot say anything negative about the TL-S really. People with over 200k on these cars and still running great. Even the base TL's are very nice and a lot cheaper. 04-08 is the body style. They all can be had with a stick shift too, but will be hard to find a 3g TL-S with a stick. I personally wanted an auto since it sees a lot of city driving on the weekend. If you have any questions let me know. But I was in the same boat as you last year around this time.

Was very close to getting a 2013 200 V6. But did not since dealer did not like my numbers. His loss. Car was a rental in Michigan anyhow. Glad I skipped that one. 200's have a lot of little issues too. Love the newer style but lots of people seem to be having problems with them after researching them more when I was in the market. I could go on.

2005 Neon SRT-4 #6 and WILL STAY
2008 TL Type S
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
200's have a lot of little issues too. Love the newer style but lots of people seem to be having problems with them after researching them more when I was in the market. I could go on.

The beauty of the internet.

When we needed a new furnace for our Geothermal, I started researching the different brands. Most of the ones the HVAC companies recommended all had warranty issues, trouble getting repair parts, and tons of complaints.

I ended up going with a Bosch, because I could find nothing about them other than what's posted by Bosch. No news is generally good news, becuase not too many people post positive things, they only like to bitch. ROFL

It's going on it's second year now, without a hiccup. Our electric bill is averaging $50 to $60 a month less. It was consistently $160/month. The lowest so far was this summer with the air on, the bill was $80.

And this thing is so quiet you don't know it's running.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
ducktapetg wrote:

Quote:

Yeah that is me.

Somewhat recent picture of the car. I love it and don't plan on selling it. bought from original owner. Had like 76k on it. which is very low. 08, last year. Had like 86k on it now. Drive it everywhere since I am always working on my damn Neon lol. So quiet inside. Interior is amazing. Has good power. 286hp I believe. Looks great. Cannot say anything negative about the TL-S really. People with over 200k on these cars and still running great. Even the base TL's are very nice and a lot cheaper. 04-08 is the body style. They all can be had with a stick shift too, but will be hard to find a 3g TL-S with a stick. I personally wanted an auto since it sees a lot of city driving on the weekend. If you have any questions let me know. But I was in the same boat as you last year around this time.

Was very close to getting a 2013 200 V6. But did not since dealer did not like my numbers. His loss. Car was a rental in Michigan anyhow. Glad I skipped that one. 200's have a lot of little issues too. Love the newer style but lots of people seem to be having problems with them after researching them more when I was in the market. I could go on.

I actually really like the new TLX A-spec. first time since your year that i like the front end. i sat in one on a dealer lot last weekend and i like the seating position. and rear space but it looks good too,. what kind of tech do they have on those 08 tls? i really wanted to upgrade to all the keyless ignition and heated steering wheel crap that they have out now adays.

I actually need to get an Auto unfortunately for the wife... she can drive stick just doesn't want to and this will be the trip car and one she will need to drive... all the 200s i saw were all the I4 180hp didnt see any sixes...

I like the darts a lot but they are too small for where life is heading... wanting mid size to full size.

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueneo03 wrote:

I like the darts a lot but they are too small for where life is heading... wanting mid size to full size.

I was a bit surprised to see how cramped they are inside compared to the neon. Even my '99 coupe has more room. The Crossfire seating being a bit thinner probably helps out there though. Very Happy

With the seat all the way back, I can't push the clutch in all the way. That was never an issue with neon seats.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See part of my problem is Im 61 and I need leg room, so when Im sitting the seat is usually all the way back cutting into the he rear leg room. But the neon backseat was decent for its size

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #21   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's one reason I like the Impreza Outback, I'm about 6 ft, and I also have to have the seat forward a bit to push the clutch to the floor. It has a lot of room for it's size.

Basically like a Caliber/Compass, but much better.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #22   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
200's have a lot of little issues too. Love the newer style but lots of people seem to be having problems with them after researching them more when I was in the market. I could go on.

The beauty of the internet.

When we needed a new furnace for our Geothermal, I started researching the different brands. Most of the ones the HVAC companies recommended all had warranty issues, trouble getting repair parts, and tons of complaints.

I ended up going with a Bosch, because I could find nothing about them other than what's posted by Bosch. No news is generally good news, becuase not too many people post positive things, they only like to bitch. ROFL

It's going on it's second year now, without a hiccup. Our electric bill is averaging $50 to $60 a month less. It was consistently $160/month. The lowest so far was this summer with the air on, the bill was $80.

And this thing is so quiet you don't know it's running.

Bingo. Very nice! Saving money for the win.

Quote:
I actually really like the new TLX A-spec. first time since your year that i like the front end. i sat in one on a dealer lot last weekend and i like the seating position. and rear space but it looks good too,. what kind of tech do they have on those 08 tls? i really wanted to upgrade to all the keyless ignition and heated steering wheel crap that they have out now adays.

I actually need to get an Auto unfortunately for the wife... she can drive stick just doesn't want to and this will be the trip car and one she will need to drive... all the 200s i saw were all the I4 180hp didnt see any sixes...

yeah the new TLX is nice. Neighbor across the street has one. Not the A-Spec though. But they are a lot of money since its a new car.

As for tech? Hahaha, I had a 99 Neon with no options prior as a daily so this is leaps and bounds over that. Power everything! Auto dim rear view mirror and which I love. It has heated front seats, dual climate control, bluetooth for your phone, a decent factory navigation system, cruise control. Interior is gorgeous too. Auxillary port in console. A couple power supply's too. Factory HID headlights, LED tail lights stock. Not bad for an 08 really. They were WAY ahead of there time back then. Yeah the 4 cylinder 200's are weak. I would never consider one.

2005 Neon SRT-4 #6 and WILL STAY
2008 TL Type S
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #23   PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
I guess that's one reason I like the Impreza Outback, I'm about 6 ft, and I also have to have the seat forward a bit to push the clutch to the floor. It has a lot of room for it's size.

Basically like a Caliber/Compass, but much better.

I test drove the legacy 3.6R last night and it was really nice. i actually like it a lot, but with the dark blue exterior i can only get the white leather interior... i dont like that mch at all....

Ya i would probably look for a year old or lease termination or something to save the depreciation.. dont particularly want brand new. but that sounds pretty good, like you said im coming from a neon and have been used to power windows as my only real technology available... mainly just want the pushbutton start and sentry key to not have to take it out of my pocket. the rest is just nice to have... i like more basic cars anyways in terms of mechanicals and interface. i prefer the neon knob AC to most of the new dual zone... takes so long to change temps..

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: