2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #961   PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Also got all that grime off behind the rear fascia.

I chuckled when I read that- you're just like me, wanting to clean up what can only be seen when the car is taken apart. Laughing
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #962   PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
I think white would be better..not sure

Or stainless/polished aluminum to tie in with the exhaust tips.

I also cleaned up behind my rear fascia and waxed it. The way I seen it, it might help a bit against corrosion, since you can't really wash behind it otherwise.

Of course the rear dog leg, and quarter panel rust kind of trumped that worry.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #963   PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a chrome plate frame, you are right it should look good on white. Good looking out. Was like $4 on ebay shipped for a metal one from China. ROFL

Have some late night gripes with the car. Car randomly will blow white smoke at idle after driving for a while and putting miles on it. Once I start driving the smoke goes away. Has happened 2 times so far. Thought I fixed it the first time. (Put in another PCV valve I had laying around, used a different checkvalve, checked all the plugs they looked fine, took off the turbo drain tube to see if it was clogged, which it wasn't. It is a very crappy piece. I tightened it very tight it was kind of loose on the block end originally.) Drove the car a good amount with no problems or smoke at idle. The 2nd time happened today after I was running some errands. Started the car up and saw the white smoke for a second. Smells like oil. Been checking the oil regularly and have only had to add like 1/4 of a qt since I got it. Previous owner changed the oil at like 14,600 in April I believe. Car has 16k on it now. He used Mobil 1 5w-30. Maybe the car doesn't like it?

Pretty sure its turbo related though but not 100% sure which sucks. Will need to do a leak down test and compression check since it has never been done too. If it is bad, oh well, I will upgrade. Journal bearing turbos suck anyhow

I also recently replaced the upstream 02 sensor, just cause. NTK unit. thumbup

Want it ready for the Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival in October.

2005 Neon SRT-4 #6 and WILL STAY
2008 TL Type S
jonnymopar
200k and counting...

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #964   PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the chrome plate surround on a white car. My mother had one on a stone white Stratus and it looked super clean.

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
...Mobil 1 5w-30. Maybe the car doesn't like it?

I swear they changed their formula at some point. I don't want to start yet another "which oil is best" discussion, but I will say that I gave up on Mobil 1 years ago.

2003 Neon SXT
1989 Daytona ES 2.4L Turbo
Midnight_Rider

Post: #965   PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SRT has never complained about Mobil 1. Just my .02 worth.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #966   PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about any synthetic oil will find it's way out sooner than conventional oil.

Smaller molecular structure finds smaller holes/gaps, etc.

There is also a slight chance it could be hardened intake valve seals from age. At idle, vacuum is higher than when driving.

But a turbo issue would be more favorable, as an upgrade there is more fun.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #967   PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the chrome plate already from China. Put it on, looks pretty good. See how I like it over time. I always ran Mobil 1 0w-40 in my original silver SRT-4. Car liked it. Probably end up just doing that on the next oil change and then a more expensive synthetic oil.

I am going to sample the Mobil 1 5w-30 in the car on my next oil change. Then sent it out to BlackStone labs with to see how everything is. Might be a low mileage car but you never know.

Especially knowing that the originally owner had a Hahn 20g kit on it and he said it never "ran right" with the kit. And knowing it had a crap SCT tune on the car. Who knows what kind of damage was done to it.

Vacuum is crazy good on this car, Always at -20 at idle and -25 on decel!

Looking to put the stock throttle body and spacer back on. Just waiting on stupid factory throttle body bolts from JMB Performance. They said they shipped them in a regular envelope from MO, to me in Kansas last Monday. So it has been a week. Should of got them by now.

2008 TL Type S
Midnight_Rider

Post: #968   PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "regular envelope," do you mean a non-padded one? That may not be good. I've ordered a few parts from JMB without issues so, hopefully, yours will get there shortly. thumbup
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #969   PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed a golden opportunity with the plate frame to tie the wheel color in a little more. Just sayin'.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #970   PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:
By "regular envelope," do you mean a non-padded one? That may not be good. I've ordered a few parts from JMB without issues so, hopefully, yours will get there shortly. thumbup

Yes, non padded so there is no tracking or anything. I will just open up a claim. Still have not received it yet. It was his way for me not to go with a claim for the factory throttle body spacer he sent me. Had a bunch of nicks and gouges in it and was not as pictured. He said he just grabbed one out of a bucket since he has a ton of them. lol. As for the envelope he said that a padded envelope would of cost him like $5 to ship the bolts he was giving me for free..and didn't want to do that.

Quote:
You missed a golden opportunity with the plate frame to tie the wheel color in a little more. Just sayin'.

True. If I can find a similar color I will go that route, good lookin out.

2008 TL Type S
Midnight_Rider

Post: #971   PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, sorry to read about the status of your parts. I've dealt with JMB strictly through eBay- is yours a one-on-one deal?
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #972   PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Yikes, sorry to read about the status of your parts. I've dealt with JMB strictly through eBay- is yours a one-on-one deal?

It was via eBay and eBay messages.

2008 TL Type S
Midnight_Rider

Post: #973   PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good- that will give you leverage.
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #974   PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Midnight_Rider wrote:

It was via eBay and eBay messages.

I buy a lot of gun parts that are shipped free (some thru eBay) usually they are sent in padded envelopes by First Class Mail & insured ...
I don't think it's that expensive. Sounds like the shipper was lazy or stupid cussing

1952 Chevrolet Stylene Sport Coupe
2005 Dodge SRT-4
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #975   PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have been tossed by a pissed off postal machine maintenance worker, if the envelope got tossed in a letter sorting machine.

It's not like they are going to "feel" each and every regular envelope for irregularities.

Should have at least wrapped them in newspaper, or bubble wrap, and then put in a standard envelope. It might be fatter, but it would probably get by with a small increase in postage.

But $5 for customer relations is still a bargain. They shouldn't have been so cheap. A good cheeseburger cost more.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #976   PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the bolts finally arrived. I think this message helped him supposedly send another set. Altered it a bit.
Quote:
But $5 for customer relations is still a bargain.

thanks OD. thumbup

Lots of little things have happened to the Peon.

Was pretty much told by my tuner tha the MPX TB is trash and really is not needed unless you are making over 600hp. I heard good and bad things about that TB. Mainly bad so I do actually agree with him. It just so happened to be on my car when I got it. My tuner (duster 360) told me that he would not have to adjust my tune at all after putting the stock throttle body on. Which I thought was odd. So I went ahead and threw that on there with new TB gasket, IAC o-ring and spacer o-ring. turns out the MPX TB bolts are the EXACT same size as the factory OEM TB bolts. Was told they were not...

MPX 62mm TB

^Ran a boost leak test on the car after putting the factory TB on. Guess what, no more crazy amount of air going past the TB blade during the test. So now there were new boost leaks that I didn't know about. The stupid lower pressure pipe hardpipe. Never been a fan of them. 4 possible boost leaks as opposed to 2 with the stock rubber unit. T-Bolt on the hotside of the intercooler. Always gave me problems and I honestly never seen a T-bolt conform as well as a regular hoseclamp in that spot. T-bolts are overrated IMO. I ran almost 30lbs of boost on my S3 SRT-4 and didn't have boost leaks with a worm clamps all around. I bought a factory lower rpessure pipe, so instead of fighting with a stupid T-bolt in a hard spot, I just put the factory lower pressure pipe on. No more leaks there.

^gone

Then it started to leak at the last T-bolt on the TB. I put it perfect and torqued down right and guess what, it seeped air out in different spots. So hoseclamps went on. No more leaks there!

Then another leak emerged of course. Throttle Position Sensor.

turns out there is supposed to be an o-ring around that. The stock TB I bought had the sensors and no O-ring on the TPS. Neither did the one on my MPX unit. So I went to the hardware store and found one that fits.

Pressurized the system yet again and no leaks there. Woo hoo.

Button the car back up and went for a test drive. Had to lower the boost on my manual boost controller due to having all those boost leaks before. Car feels a bit stronger. Now to actually do a longer drive and hope I don't have that random rich issue and the RPMS hanging. Pretty sure the MPX TB was the issue. Only time will tell.

My goal now is to finish up my tune. But the issue is my laptop is not reading the wideband well and needs to be adjusted. My buddy set it all up but its over my head on how to fix it. Once the planets align he will fix it by the end of this week hopefully. I have a new DiabloSport analog cable so that will rule that out. My tuner refuses to tune my car until that is fixed. He is hardcore.

Car at idle is reading 15.6ish. Which is lean and probably an exhaust leak. Should be around 14.6ish. Pretty sure its the WGA recirc tube. Which is retarded. Its on there perfect and clamped super well. But I can still feel exhaust coming from it. No idea.

So I want to do a WGA dump on it. But the problem is the 02 housing has a tube as part of the casting for the recirc tube. So it would have to be welded shut before I put the dump on it. OR AGP offers a new 02 housing with no recirc. "nipple" for $405 plus shipping! OUCH! Plus having it dump to the atmosphere will free up some power.

Problem part. View from under the car looking up:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/81v8pSW.jpg?1[/img]

Up top:

2008 TL Type S
NeonOn19s
Layin low..
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #977   PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good!!

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon til it Dies" Club Member # 72
Semper Fi!!! USMC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #978   PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeonOn19s wrote:
looking good!!

thanks!

A lot of little things have happened.

Quote:
Car at idle is reading 15.6ish. Which is lean and probably an exhaust leak. Should be around 14.6ish. Pretty sure its the WGA recirc tube.

And that it was. Smile Just had to get that out of the way. 14.7-14.9 now at idle.
Was indeed that recirc. tube crap.

Cut off and welded for only $20

Guy did an awesome job.

Put the newly welded 02 on with the recirc welded shut.

added a little heatshield for my metal overflow tank

Mocking it up I noticed it fit like crap:

Hits an evap line. Can't really move that line since it is hard molded plastic Sad

Wrapped it in heat wrap for the time being. taking it to the same shop that welded the 02 housing and going to have them modify my dump so it fits better then this, It is due to me having the ATP manifold which sits higher then the AGP manifold. So the AGP dump tube I bought does not fit properly and needs to be modified. Taking it in Thursday. Then will send in a log to my tuner for a revision since I do not have that exhaust leak anymore and the WGA is dumped now to the atmosphere.

New turbine to 02 gasket and relocated the boost line that was originally routed over the exhaust manifold by previous owner lol So that won't get brittle again. Added a smaller WGA spring to my Tial. So now it is at 18 psi instead of 13 ish. Was recommended by my tuner since it would not hold 25 psi and bleed down to 21-22. Car felt great at that power wise. Spinning 3rd is crazy.

^Yet another shot, this time from underneath, that braided line is a fuel line... The WGA dump shoots fire at WOT., not a good idea to have it there.

Older news before the dump tube and 02 stuff.. I go P0301. Cylinder 1 misfire. Need to diagnosis that. Hopefully it is nothing serious. I always think of the worse since the previous owner had a crap tune on it and the FPR boost line in the wrong spot! But the car idles and drives fine. The CEL came on during a cold start after work. But it drove perfectly fine on my way home.

Got a new oil drain tube and some nice industrial camps that don't split the hose.

But guess what, the blue new one does not fit right. Way too tight. After I had to tear it off to get it off the port that goes to the block I was told I could of put it in hot water for 5 minutes so it would slide on there easier. But IMP it was just way too tight. So $16 down the drain. Just reused the old red one with the new better clamps.

I changed the coolant for the first time since I owned it. Also the thermostat& cap since the gasket was bad on the thermostat. Was a messy job, well..I made a mess since I wasn't paying attention. Coolant looked great. Filled with water and got it to temp. Drained again. Then went 50/50 with Zerex G-05 I had. (same as the Mopar stuff) Car ran great and temps didn't fluctuate like before!

And before all posted above I took it to Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival. Had a great time. I did spin out once, was scary and lucky I kept it on the road. Took the S turns a bit too fast. Marquee vehicle was Mopar yet only 4 Mopars showed up for the track event!!! (Me, Magnum SRT-8, V6 Challenger, 98 Viper GTS, So they had to add like 11 other random cars. Sad The other Mopars just were for the "show" How boring! The course is only open 2 days a year! bandhead

2008 TL Type S
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #979   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hits an evap line. Can't really move that line since it is hard molded plastic.

Couldn't you use some 5/16" copper/metal tubing, and make a line from that?

Paint it black, and it would look oem. And be heat proof...

Not to mention, you could route it however you like.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #980   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
Quote:
Hits an evap line. Can't really move that line since it is hard molded plastic.

Couldn't you use some 5/16" copper/metal tubing, and make a line from that?

Paint it black, and it would look oem. And be heat proof...

Not to mention, you could route it however you like.

Isn't copper liquid gold now? Lol
If it could withstand the heat, not leak exhaust and hold up over time then I would be down. Would need to go to the flange on my WGA though. So that 2 bolt flange would have to be welded up with the tubing. Great suggestion though. 5/16'' diameter would be way too small unless you are talking about the thickness of the copper tubing.

Taking it to the shop tomorrow, will see if they use the existing dump or just make a new one.

2008 TL Type S
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #981   PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about the plastic evap line, where the rubber connector is smashed between the pipe and the firewall. Very Happy

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #982   PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
I was talking about the plastic evap line, where the rubber connector is smashed between the pipe and the firewall. Very Happy

Oooohhh gotcha. My bad Tard Bang

Dropped the car off today at 10 am. Got a call around 4:00 saying they would finish it tomorrow. Supposedly they had to make an entire new dump tube from what I gather. Hope its not going to cost me an arm and a leg! Pray

2008 TL Type S
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #983   PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better. they just used the flange. Only charged me $100 for it. Not bad at all!

Had to lower boost with my manual boost controller. Got it to around 25 psi again.

car SCREAMS at WOT once that WGA opens up! Its scary! It moves out in a hurry!

2008 TL Type S
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #984   PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbup

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #985   PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got another tune from duster360, he said to take it to 6300rpm now.

Going to jack car up and wrap some things with my heatwrap that probably need the extra protection near exhaust components.

Rear section of my exhaust is hitting my sway bar so I need to modify the bracket or get another rubber bushing for the hanger that will drop it lower. Its on the driver side. You can hear it rattle once in a while hitting it.

2008 TL Type S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Progress/Project Log All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
Page 33 of 33

Jump to: