2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2002 ECU Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> General 2nd Gen Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: 2002 ECU Replacement Reply with quote

I have a 2002 MTX that didn't want to start the end of last week.

After finding the starter was shot and replacing it, it still wouldn't start so we towed it into the local dodge dealer.

I just found out yesterday that my ECU is shot.

They want to charge somewhere around $750 to have a local shop refurbish my ECU and I should be golden again.

I suggested that I could go to a local salvage yard, get a used one and have them flash my SKIM and VIN but they said they wouldn't do that. LOSERS...

However, I am still looking at buying a used one and having someone or buying a Witech Minipod II to reprogram it.

Mainly, I'm looking at used ECUs on eBay and they don't seem to be MTX/ATX specific. Are the 2002 ECUs Trans specific or do I need to find an MTX on?

Also, is there anyone in the greater Baraboo/Madison,WI area that would be able to reprogram my ECU?
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they're specific to the transmission. Try www.car-part.com and specify manual in your search. You can also just take it to a different dealer and ask them nicely. Some don't mind flashing, but will still charge you something like $150.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a non R/T or ACR*, both 2001 and 2002 will work for MTX pcm's.

If you have SKIM, unplug the module before installing the PCM if you find a non SKIM unit. Most base models are probably not SKIM.

If you didn't have SKIM, you wouldn't need any flashing done, or if you disable the SKIM, the non SKIM pcm will be plug and play. The VIN need not match to run the car.

*A 2001 R/T PCM would work in a 2002 R/T but you would lose a bit of performance.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Donkeypuncher
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe sidepipe87 can flash the ecu with a vin, I had him disable the skim on my ecu last year.

I might have an 02 R/T ecu in storage somewhere with the skim and key/ignition lock. Can't remember if there were any issues running an R/T ecu on the non R/T though.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donkeypuncher wrote:
Can't remember if there were any issues running an R/T ecu on the non R/T though.

Nope: Read my sig. Laughing

You will get codes for the MTV relay, but no CEL.

But again, there is no need to flash anything if you don't use SKIM. No sense spending $$ to flash just a VIN.

All I did was plug the '02 R/T pcm into my '01 ES, and never looked back.

Granted the SKIM feature has some communication error, so it won't lock down the PCM, but other than that, the VIN not being flashed hasn't stopped it from working either.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car does have SKIM so I will either need to find a non-SKIM or have the SKIM one that I find reprogrammed.

I'm planning to go to a local salvage yard this tomorrow and I will look for a non SKIM PCM.

However, I'm still probably going to buy a Micropod II from an online vendor like:
https://www.obd2buy.com/car-diagnostic-tool-obd2-scanner/165-witech-micropod-2-diagnostic-tool-v170301-for-fiat-dodge-jeep-chrysler-support-multi-languages.html

It seems like it would be a nice tool to have as long as it allows me to reprogram the VIN and SKIM (this is what I'm waiting for verification on)

It would also work pretty well on my wife's 09 VW Routan that is just a caravan that looks like a VW.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It would be cool if you don't have to log into dealer connect to use it to flash though.

Let us know, for the price, if it can program parameters in PCI bus and not just CAN, it would be an awesome tool for most of us, not so awesome for Sykes/others.

I would be more than happy to pay a one time $150 for it, IF it can do non CAN PCM's

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still havent heard back about wether i will be able to reprogram the vin and skim. I think im just going to buy it and find out.

I checked out two yards todat without luck. Lots of 01 and 02 but no MTX.

I did find an ecu on ebay for really cheap that has the same part number but i previously ask what transmission the car had and he said auto. Since the part number matches should it work even though the seller claims its from an ATX?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002 has the 41te ATX. The TCM is not part of the PCM like the 2003 to 2005, but I'm not sure what will happen without the TCM connected to it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a 2002 FSM to see what pin outs are different between the MTX and ATX PCM's.

If the ATX features can be switched off via a programmer, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Otherwise you are likely going to have a CEL and codes for the missing ATX inputs.

Using a 2001 ATX PCM will get you a torque converter lock up solenoid code/CEL, but that's about it. If you can jumper a resistor at the PCM connector for the two pins that activate the TC lock up, you will get rid of that CEL.

The CEL will in no way affect the way it runs though. Not sure what different fuel and spark curves there may be, but it might not run quite as well with the ATX programming.

Or maybe it will run better. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

But if you can get a non SKIM 2001 ATX PCM for cheap, it will get you up an running in the meantime. Just a matter of pulling the column covers, and unplugging the SKIM, the swapping in the PCM.

If I remember, I can ohm out the spare TC solenoid I have to see about what resistor value you would need. I can also try to see what pins/connector on the PCM need to be jumper'ed.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, stand by on checking the resistance of the TC and pinout of the PCM.

I probed further and the guy on eBay said that he "double checked" and the PCM did come out of a 5 speed. I hope he isn't just saying it to sell the PCM but I just bought it.

If it does happen to be out an auto I will also see if I can shut off the TC.

I also ordered one of the Micropod IIs from xcar360. However I might have came into a problem that I'm sorting out. I got an order confirmation from xcar360 from a sales email address from their domain. Then I got an email from an outlook.com address saying that my payment was hijacked. I checked my account on xcar360 and it says that I placed an order. Regardless I reported the payment to PayPal and I will see where things go from here. ugh!!

Thanks for the help so far!!!!
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I have been working with xcar360 since my last post to get my Micropod ii running.

The Micropod ii that I bought is a clone and in July, there was an update to the online system that blocks clones. Someone figured out that there is a work-around to get the cable working offline. I used the work around and finally made some progress except the software that I was given only supported down to model year 2004 and mine is a 2002. So I hit another dead end.

After asking for a refund, they are sending me a hard drive to put into a PC that will allow me to use the software completely offline and should allow me to connect to my car. It is coming from China and will take probably another week to get to me.

I hope that the next update that I post will be that I have my car running again.

On the positive side, it has given me a chance to do some well needed maintenance, like changing those valve cover/spark plug tube gaskets that seem to go bad all the time.
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<<<knows someone who has V16 working properly without reg issues Rolling Eyes
Just make sure you are "NOT" online when using the software because the latest thing is there tracking anyone who connects "The Software" to the internet.....
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Update:

I am up and running. I finally towed my car to a different dealer and they took care of it. For information in the Sauk County, WI region, Fedderly in Reedsburg,WI did it without problem or complaint.

Up until last week I had still been working with xcar360 to get my witech working. I received the hard drive and it would have worked but the standard Witech software only covers down to 2004 and wouldn't recognize my 2002. I tried to run the emulator for DRBIII in Witech. However, when I click to start the emulator, it told me that I don't have it installed and it will install it. I proceeded to install the emulator until it tells me that it can't update because it is offline and can't connect to the server (no surprise). It seemed as though it is installed but when I try to run the emulator again, it gives me the same error again and wants me to install again.

I was working with them again to get an older version of Witech to try but it was taking longer and longer to get responses. I needed to get my car back so I gave up and I am now working on getting a refund.
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #14   PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a website that has the answer to all your Witech issues Rolling Eyes
I'm currently a member there and the answer to your DRBIII issue is there along with "My" fix Rolling Eyes on the registration problems Rock ON
I'm currently able to scan 96-2016 vehicles with my micropod, including Sprinters and Crossfires using the DRB Enhanced software. I have not tried reflashing pcms since I don't have a Tech Authority account or access to dealer connect anymore....
The only side effect you may have an issue with is this site requires a $25 membership fee. But with that fee, you get a lot of answers to your questions and a whole lot more....
I was skeptical at first, but I'll tell you this much, it was worth every penny!
And no, this is no sales pitch...It's actually a legit site that people all over the world join sharing information and more that you can't get on an average website......
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of that website and I've seen some of your posts.

The person I was working with at xcar360 has an account there and was sharing some of the knowledge of that web page but he must not have seen the DRBIII fix.

With their help I was able to use your fix to get downloaded versions of Witech working but didn't have the DRBIII support. That had to do with commenting or removing a line in a config file.

I was debating it but since xcar360 had an account I didn't buy into it.
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't login much but man, what a hassle. For the future I do VIN flashes for $50 including return shipping... I am a vendor on here as well as having a page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/neonpcmsplus/
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the option.

It definitely was a hassle and I went through it in hopes that I could do it myself and have the nice diagnostic capability in my garage.

I could have also sent my original PCM out to a quy on eBay for $120 to fix and not had to buy another $100ish PCM to be reprogrammed.

Any of the options beats the $750 the dealership wanted me to pay. It would have been done 3 months ago but I wasn't paying that.
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #18   PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that with a little bit of searching I am able to get the cable going.

There is a blog on how to fix the DRBIII emulator issue and it looks as though it is information from this site that we are talking about.

http://blog.obdii365.com/2017/12/02/set-up-witech-micropod-2-with-drb-emulation/

They also have a download for a working windows HDD image. I didn't try it though.

I think that I'm going to cancel the Paypal case.

Anyone in or willing to travel to the Madison,WI or Baraboo,WI area, I have a working Micropod 2!!!
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #19   PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of Witech are you using?
Versions below 15 have the DRB3 button, 15 and up you will need a "weblink" to use in your browser to redirect to the DRB3 software as the DRB3 button option was removed from Witech.
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually using version 17.04.27. The DRB3 button doesn't show up until I have the Micropod 2 plugged in but I thought that was just standard.

It is the "offline" version that they supplied me on their HDD.

So far I haven't tried to write anything or dive deep into the DRB3 emulator but I was able to connect to my 2002 and see the VIN, ECU part number, etc. I'm imagining that I would be able to do those if I wanted.
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #21   PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to look into this....
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #22   PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you need anything.

I actually created a virtual machine from their HDD and have been working off of that in VirtualBox.
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #23   PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazardsneon wrote:
Let me know if you need anything.

I actually created a virtual machine from their HDD and have been working off of that in VirtualBox.

I never thought of that.....
<<<bangs head.....lol
I'll give it a shot!

(tried it, didn't work Rolling Eyes)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> General 2nd Gen Discussion All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: