How to go about swapping your bumper to an SRT bumper...

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
marakka
2GN Member

How to go about swapping your bumper to an SRT bumper...

Post by marakka » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:34 pm

Alright so I'm seeing a lot of questions about bumpers lately... going from 00 to 02... going from SRT to R/T.... maybe we should get a sticky together with all the information?

I need to know about swapping my SXT's bumpers out to SRT's. I've already got the body kit. JUst waiting for paint to finsih up with it. Rumor has it I will have to change out my washer bottle? Any truth to this? What about the crash bar? Fog lights? I know a couple of people on here have done this so I"m sure SOMEONE knows. I'm bout to have a fist-full of money in the next day or two so I wanna get everything lined up ahead of time. The wifey will kill me if I put a new bumper on, but don't have windshield washers. You shoulda seen her face when I came home and opened the trunk with the kit in it...... God I'm lucky I'm still married.
LilSparkPlug wrote:Rofflies! :) I <3 you Marraka.

rice_eater
2GN Member

Post by rice_eater » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:54 am

you dont have to change the water bottle, but you wont be able to fit the foglight... the right side is easier, just remove the resonator box inside the fender. i ended up just not putting the fogs back in and used the driver side to run an intake tube from the foglight to the stock airbox. coldest CAI without any downside

marakka
2GN Member

Post by marakka » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:22 am

I'm guessing foglights won't fit because of the stock airbox. Ok..... large hammer, pry bar and some C4 will solve that.... Other than that there weren't ANY fitment issues? I don't plan on keeping my stock airbox anyway... to it will give me a reason to take it out.

kevo
2GN Member

Post by kevo » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:03 am

someone should sticky this. This way this will end all questions regarding the looks conversion.

You dont even need a new washer bottle.

For 00-02 models you need the following

-Srt front bumper

-srt rear bumper

-03-05 headlights from an sxt or srt

-03-05 tail lights from an sxt or srt

-srt exhaust or custom exhaust*
(you can use an R/T) exhaust by either expanding the cutouts, modifying your R/T exhaust pipes to be approx. two inches further apart or rolling your bumper.

You will also optionally need these

Srt spoiler
srt washer bottle
(you can optionally drain your stock bottle and put a hair dryer to it. Once its warm simply push in the front of it a few inches in to give clearance for the passenger side foglight. If your car has no fogs then dont worry about it.)

-srt side skirts

-srt door sills

For 03-05 models you need the following

-Srt front bumper

-srt rear bumper

-srt exhaust or custom exhaust*
(you can use an R/T) exhaust by either expanding the cutouts, modifying your R/T exhaust pipes to be approx. two inches further apart or rolling your bumper.

You will also optionally need these

Srt spoiler
srt washer bottle
(you can optionally drain your stock bottle and put a hair dryer to it. Once its warm simply push in the front of it a few inches in to give clearance for the passenger side foglight. If your car has no fogs then dont worry about it.)

-srt side skirts

-srt door sills
Last edited by kevo on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joelrgr
2GN Member

Post by joelrgr » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:58 am

the resonator box for ur intake (the box inside the fender well) does need removed for clearance and something has to be done with the stock washer bottle, remove it all together, get an srt one, or melt and mod ur current one, but the housings and bolts for the pass side foglight WILL hit a stock washer bottle.

marakka
2GN Member

Post by marakka » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:28 am

THANKS SO MUCH for the help guys. This is EXACTLY what needs to be stickied.....

I'm guessing the washer bottle can only go in with the bumper off.... so I should get that now.

scneonchic
2GN Veteran

Post by scneonchic » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:49 pm

Done ;)

Lots of bumper conversion questions lately....

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri May 05, 2006 6:41 am

Added a lil for the 00-02's based on experience from last night....

1 - The passenger Fog housing on an SRT bumper will clear the washer bottle with no problem, but once the fog is installed...the fog mounting studs and wiring for the fog light will hit the washer bottle.

2 - Some people say you can use the 00-02 headlights with the SRT fascia, there wrong. You either have to cut the fascia or the headlights to allow it to fit properly.

3 - The 03-05 fogs have different wiring, so you have to change the pigtails to use the new style connector.
Last edited by BlackRoseRacing on Tue May 23, 2006 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Fri May 05, 2006 2:48 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:3 - The 03-05 fogs have different wiring, so you have to change the pigtails to use the new style connector.
good thing i sent those too :wink:
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri May 05, 2006 4:37 pm

^^^
Yup thank you :wink:
But I have to look at the wiring a little closer :? I'm at work right now and according to our computer, they both use the same bulb...mmm

marakka
2GN Member

Post by marakka » Fri May 05, 2006 5:21 pm

How bad do the bolts hit? I'm wondering if I absolutely HAVE to do some heating of the washer tank or if I can get away with it. I don't want to puncture a hole in it though either....

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat May 06, 2006 8:25 am

There is probably a 1/4inch its pushing the fascia forward, and the fog light bulb pigtail also hits. Im hoping today when my wife gets home...
I'll go out and see if my 02 fog bulbs will fit in the 03-^ fogs. If they do, that would cure that small problem. I'll post when I get results.

P.S.
00-02 bulbs are a 90deg bend, 03-^ are straight....

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon May 08, 2006 4:18 pm

They are different, so its true you have to change either the pigtails or the front fog wiring...

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:23 pm

One more note, dont use a hair dryer to mod the wiper fluid resevoir, use a cheap propane torch..
I tried the hair dryer and fell asleep waiting for it to get hot, use a propane torch, heat the area evenly and use a rounded pipe or in my case a ratchets handle to mold and move the bottle so the pigtail and fog stud will clear the bottle.
It took me a whole 5minutes tops to do that and there are no leaks in the bottle :wink:

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:34 am

BUMP...
for an 02 to a 03+ conversion you will need....
Fascia,hood,headlights, pigtails for fogs if using them, and a modded washer bottle or an SRT washer bottle, and finally the air dam for the year fascia you use.....

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:07 am

Here is a pic of an SRT bottle, it will give you an idea of the clearence needed for the passenger side fog lamp

The pics owner is DBLSG :wink:

daaboots
2GN Member

Post by daaboots » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:06 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:BUMP...
for an 02 to a 03+ conversion you will need....
Fascia,hood,headlights, pigtails for fogs if using them, and a modded washer bottle or an SRT washer bottle, and finally the air dam for the year fascia you use.....
Looking sweet man. Is the hood supposed to be flat black or is that just the primer waiting to be painted? Looks kinda cool the way it is.
2005 SX 2.0 - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2092484
Rear sway bar brackets on sale! - viewtopic.php?t=19840
My Feedback - viewtopic.php?t=10546

lilolneon
2GN Member

Post by lilolneon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:14 pm

Does the SRT bottle really have SRT molded into it like that?
2003 Atlantic Blue SE (R.I.P. 03-06)
2003 Black SXT (R.I.P. 06-14)
2007 Silver Civic LX Coupe

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:39 am

lilolneon wrote:Does the SRT bottle really have SRT molded into it like that?
nah, i carved it on there with an exacto knife :D
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:36 am

The hood right now IS in primer, but I have the primer tinted with black paint to look like the above till I can finish it. And yes the hood is going to stay that color to match the cuda stripes :)

SolarYNeon
2GN Member

Post by SolarYNeon » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:23 am

I just did a bumper conversion. Yet to put in the fogs... No one wants to sell them to me! :( lol.

But fitment isnt exact. Its strange, I still have about an inch gap in between the hood and the bumper. I'm kinda baffled with it. I've always had a problem with the right headlight not fitting exactly, so theres probably about a finger width gap in between the headlight and the bumper. I've tightened up all the bolts as much as possible. I did it by myself so that may be why... :cry: I'm going to have someone help me take it off and we're going to try and re-mount it so that it fits. I'll get pics tonight too.

And yes, my car is a patchwork car. Black bumper, blue hood, yellow everything else :)

You should see the stares that I get hahaha. Thats okay, painting comes weds!

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:39 am

The non-SRT hood will give you a gap as it's not as long as the SRT hood. The headlamps on the other hand... not sure about that. you're running '03+ headlamps right?
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

SolarYNeon
2GN Member

Post by SolarYNeon » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:54 pm

Well the thing is, i DO have an srt hood on it. So i'm thinking its just a fitment issue. Like i said I did it by myself so it was a little hard for me to do it myself. I'm going to go to my buddies later tonight and see if that makes any difference i'll be sure to give you pics on how it goes :)

SolarYNeon
2GN Member

Post by SolarYNeon » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:12 am

Yeah I know I've got a patchwork car haha. :)

In the last picture, I but boxes around what I thought were the problem areas. I'm not sure if this is how its suppose to look, and I figured you guys and gals could help me out a bit. But other than that, it looks great from a distance (other than the fact that its 3 colors :lol:)

Without further ado,

Haha yeah, theres a couple of rough spots, but thats why its getting work done on it, and yes I dont have the fogs in yet. Im too lazy :-p.

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:06 am

With the Non-SRT hood installed it will overhang the srt fascia, with the SRT hood installed there will be a gap, my buddies 03 SRT is the same way...

SolarYNeon
2GN Member

Post by SolarYNeon » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:02 pm

Yeah, jsut used to it by now. The driver's side headlight is what baffles me :/

maxq
2GN Member

Post by maxq » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:24 pm

nice jigsaw SolarYNeon ;) lol
SolarYNeon wrote:Yeah I know I've got a patchwork car haha. :)

In the last picture, I but boxes around what I thought were the problem areas. I'm not sure if this is how its suppose to look, and I figured you guys and gals could help me out a bit. But other than that, it looks great from a distance (other than the fact that its 3 colors :lol:)

Without further ado,

Haha yeah, theres a couple of rough spots, but thats why its getting work done on it, and yes I dont have the fogs in yet. Im too lazy :-p.

SolarYNeon
2GN Member

Post by SolarYNeon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:49 pm

Its not like that anymore :)
Semper Fedelis

bad93ex
2GN Member

Post by bad93ex » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:32 pm

Where did you find the SRT bumpers?

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:45 pm

Usually have to watch eBay, or forsale sections on forums like here, neons.org, srtforums.com... ect... they pop up for sale every now and then.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

Return to “Exterior”