CAI

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...

Name Brand Or Ebay??

Iceman, Ingen, AEM, K&N
63%
Ebay Special
38%

Total votes: 16

Mole1976
n00b

CAI

Post by Mole1976 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:51 am

I am trying to decide on a CAI. Are the Iceman, Ingen, AEM, K&N worth the extra money over an ebay special??

Thanks

Donovan
05 SE almost nothing yet
02 Sonata GLS V-6 (wifes car)

DannyBoy
Former Moderator

Post by DannyBoy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:42 am

They will all basically do the same thing. You are paying for the name. Ebay special will work fine.
Automatic wrote:Go fuck yourself Danny boy.
I am awesome.

GaryHowell
2GN Member

Re: CAI

Post by GaryHowell » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:50 am

Mole1976 wrote:I am trying to decide on a CAI. Are the Iceman, Ingen, AEM, K&N worth the extra money over an ebay special??

Thanks

Donovan
1) AEM
2) K&N
3) Iceman
4) Ingen
5) Ebay

Biggest problem of the Ebay ones is they are copies of someone elses, and they are not always correct. Kinda like when you make a photo copy the copy is never as good as the orginal. The Ebay ones usually rub something, because they didn't bend them exactly right.

We had a kid stop in here the other day with an Ebay one for a Talon and it was bent the wrong way at the end. Couldn't even install it on hte car, but the paper work that came with it all said it was correct.

Dodge00Neon
2GN Member

Post by Dodge00Neon » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:55 pm

Buy the cheapest intake u can get your hands on.... NO and I mean no seat of the pants diffrence going from a k&N drop in with the resonator delete to an Iceman... I did howerver notice a seat of the pants diffrence going from stock to a k&n with the resonator delete
SEE MY WWW FOR MODS

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:21 pm

Fitment is a downside to the ebay intakes, I have seen some bad pictures of them expecially where the couplers attach to the TB, it just doesn't look to fit all that well. But if you're low on money, sure go with the eBay. Otherwise go with a name brand system that will fit sligtly better.

Also, remember everyone, the AEM has a tendency to rub a little bit against the plastic inner fender, so if you go with that one, keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't rub through.

If I was go get an Intake again, I'd probably get an ICEMAN or AEM (have an AEM right now)
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

Mole1976
n00b

Post by Mole1976 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:37 pm

Money isnt the issue Value is the issue. If I spend 200 on an intake and it doesnt make any difference over one that I can get for 50 then all I am paying for is the Name. I have had the K&N Drop in replacement filters before and loved them. Even with just that I have been able to see better throttle response. I just want my money's worth.

Donovan
05 SE almost nothing yet
02 Sonata GLS V-6 (wifes car)

GaryHowell
2GN Member

Post by GaryHowell » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:42 pm

Mole1976 wrote:Money isnt the issue Value is the issue. If I spend 200 on an intake and it doesnt make any difference over one that I can get for 50 then all I am paying for is the Name. I have had the K&N Drop in replacement filters before and loved them. Even with just that I have been able to see better throttle response. I just want my money's worth.

Donovan
This my list based on value vs performance

1) AEM
2) K&N
3) Iceman
4) Ingen
5) Ebay

I run AEM on my personal stuff.

grindpunk16
2GN Member

Post by grindpunk16 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:48 pm

i would only buy the ebay stuff for my turbo piping other than that run something that has better fitment. its cheap piping

^^^^
Michael vs Prince fights

We all know who won

To slow for you Forum member #001
lambostealth wrote:Please ditch the lip, pretty please, makes baby jesus cry... :cry:

weber
2GN Member

Post by weber » Fri May 06, 2005 10:29 am

i bought the ebay intake and it had no problems fitting. You do get a cruddy filter, so I threw a good K&N on there. no problems here :)
02 FlameRed SXT. (SOLD)
2010 Subaru WRX STI

DjTransifi
2GN Member

Post by DjTransifi » Fri May 06, 2005 10:37 am

You forgot to add a DIY or E-Bay intake...

mospaxreton
2GN Member

Post by mospaxreton » Fri May 06, 2005 12:45 pm

weber wrote:i bought the ebay intake and it had no problems fitting. You do get a cruddy filter, so I threw a good K&N on there. no problems here :)

Same here, threw out the cheapy filter...Other than that no problems fitting... Although I must add I've seen some, only some ebay intakes that are kinda ugly looking, I got lucky with mine... as far as fitment and set up..some bolt on weird, but mine bolted onto the battery tray which works best.. So if you go for ebay intake look around..and ask how the intake bolts down... jus my 2 cents.

ram50rocket
2GN Member

Post by ram50rocket » Fri May 06, 2005 1:18 pm

Iceman or your choice of metal, IMO. Things to think about...

*Metal conducts more heat than plastic (there goes your cold air)
*Iceman has largest inlet, more volume, more velocity

I am surprised at Gary's priority list.
89 Ram50 engine swap???
05 SRT-4 deburred
02 ACR, R.I.P. thx 4 nothin Insurance Co.
00 ES traded in 4 ACR
titansxt wrote:I hear the whats it called, Dodge Neon, is a good car.
you could probably go get your "umadbro" polished up to make it look like a new comeback again

Return to “Engine”