Custom CAI

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Custom CAI

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:56 am

I was at a car show yesterday and I saw the coolest intake yet!
Of course I did not have my camera to take pics but imagine this:

Take the pic above and imagine an aluminum case Vs the plastic, foam insulated walls..and a plexi glass lid ontop of it. The intake I saw yesterday was on a 2005 supercharged impala ss. I searched all morning to find something close to his setup and could not find anything online, it must have been a homebuilt job.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #666

CU_rob
2GN Member

Post by CU_rob » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:45 am

No you can buy them.
My brother has a similar one on his Pontiac GTP Supercharged. I've seen them primarly on GM's.

You could make one. Don't really see the point, as this is basicly what you would have on a stock intake if you remove the "black box" muffler in the fender well, and extended the pipe from there.
01 Silver ACR = 60mm TB, AEM CAI, mopar wires, NGK-R plugs, Mopar Short Shifter *Now with new Orange flavor Bugger Bushings!!
02 Steel Blue Jeep Liberty Sport 4x2 = Wife's Car

Wallpapers:
viewtopic.php?t=944
http://cu-rob.deviantart.com/gallery/

Steaks
2GN Member

Post by Steaks » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:36 pm

yeah basically the same, might as well go CAI and take the filter into the fender

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:49 pm

the pic above is not exactly what I saw though....
I'm still searching for something closer than the pic above, but it looked sweet. The guy even had some type of a control module mounted in the same box because of the cool air.
As for just throwing on a CAI setup...there is a little more theary than just bolting on a CAI. There was a post somewhere here about the length of the actual intake VS low end TQ. But I wont get into details. I'll post a pic as soon as I can find one....

Stonebender
2GN Member

Post by Stonebender » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:23 pm

The length of the intake before the throttle body isn't really primordial. What's important to an engine's powerband is intake manifold plenum and runner shape/size.

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:57 am

ok..thats understandable
But why have some people noticed more bottom end with a filter directly mounted to the TB Vs a cold air out to the fender well. Maybe there is some restriction to the airflow with a CAI Vs filter mounted direct?

Return to “Off-Topic”