2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take my SRT4 to the track for the first time. Help me out!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilnicko11
stuntinglikemydaddy!
2011 Silver Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon ACR

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Take my SRT4 to the track for the first time. Help me out!! Reply with quote

Ok so I had some helpful tips from SPKPLG about taking my car to the strip but I also wanted the input and opinions from others as well.

I'm just looking for overall strategy as far as launch RPM and if I should shift WOT. Should I also take it all the way to 6000rpm's before shifting, etc. Any other info please let me know as well as I am open to it. I'm all stock other than my Mopar Cold Air Intake. I'm hoping to get down sometime this month. Thanks for any help guys. I appreciate it.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club Member #50

LINK:
CARLISLE 2010 VIDEOS
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you race? Lebanon Valley?

I think on street tires your gonna be launching around 2000rpm. For shifting 6000 sounds about right, maybe a little higher depending on what RPM that puts you at in the next gear, but being stock you shouldn't have to worry about falling out of boost.

The way I stage is I go up and put the Pre-Stage light on. Then pull up on the e-brake a couple clicks, this will provide enough drag to hold the car yet you will still be able to move it. A good track with have a slight (I think rules allow a 1% grade) down hill grade. Then I bump it into the Stage lights with the clutch. Having the e-brake partially engaged will stop the car when you press in the clutch while you are bumping it in.

Then bring up the RPM's and go.
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PhillyLS1
Abusive and Abrasive
BANNED

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT do a burn out with street tires. It's pointless. Do a quick chirp of the wheels.
DO NOT go through the water box. GO AROUND it.
DO NOT launch higher then 1500RPM. It's pointless and you'll get wheel hop. Start at idle and find a happy medium where the wheel grips and starts to slip.
Yes, you can WOT shift.
DO NOT listen to some idiot SRT-4 owners and start in second.
Shift where you feel the car start to fall off. It's different for each car. Above 5K the stock turbo doesn't really make power. I shift in between 5 and 6K.

Clutch modulation is key. It'll take you 15-20 passes to get it right, so don't expect too much out your first time.

You should run anywhere between 13.8 to 14.0 with a stock car. If you're not, then there is something wrong with you or the car.

Take your spare out.

Official "SRT-4 parts came on SRTs for a reason" Member #0001
Official "I'm going to drive my neon until something better comes along." Member # 0001
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SOKADAO954
Dj's <3 Bj's
2009 Gold Contributor

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do: Give me the key's and let me drive!!!

philly made great points.

Have fun and enjoy the new whip.

|Danny|
06 VW Jetta 2.5 MTX - 4 Doors fit more whores.

"In search of the perfect beat. I found my soul"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
lilnicko11
stuntinglikemydaddy!
2011 Silver Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon ACR

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys............

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club Member #50

LINK:
CARLISLE 2010 VIDEOS
silversport
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge SRT-4 ACR

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as technique do what other guys have said. launch at the right RPM that wont make u bog but wont make u spin like crazy either. You wanna stay on that edge of grip and spin. I know you didnt really ask but the 2 big problems with the SRT that are cheap to fix is boost leaks! so get T-bolt clamps for all your boost pipes!!! even putting worm clamps all your vac lines to will help. and get solid motor mounts which will help or completely stop wheel hop!

>Andrew<
2005 SW SRT-4 ACR (SOLD)
2004 Black R/T (DD)
1998 SRT swap Drag car (11.7 @118) (still going fast)
Lorenzo
2GN Registrant

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your stock other then a intake I would highly suggest getting Solid mounts like boomba mounts and a trans mount. I sell them on my site as well but without these mounts wheel hop will be your worst nightmare at the track.

Lorenzo
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
If your stock other then a intake I would highly suggest getting Solid mounts like boomba mounts and a trans mount. I sell them on my site as well but without these mounts wheel hop will be your worst nightmare at the track.

Lorenzo

If you want to sell here as a dealer you will have to follow the vendor rules.
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LowNSlow
2GN OG

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That and bumping an OLD thread to advertise Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: