rear disc brake conversion

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
mustmopar91
n00b

rear disc brake conversion

Post by mustmopar91 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 pm

ok so i have a 2005 neon sxt and i definately want disc brakes in the rear but i cant find a conversion kit anywhere at least not one that doesnt cost two grand ...anybody have any ideas ,suggestions ,websites where they got thiers ......or am i going to have to piece together my own kit somehow if so what exactly am i going to need ....could use the help thanks

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Wed May 11, 2011 1:12 am

At the top of the site, there is a search button. You will find a bunch of threads talking about rear disk swaps.

Try reading this topic..

viewtopic.php?t=44376
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Wed May 11, 2011 1:22 am

Or you could just link to a good how to.

viewtopic.php?t=8325
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 :tard:
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 am

Welcome yo. Another one from Wa. Yes the search button is your friend here. If you have specific questions about doing the conversion feel freeto ask or shout me a pm
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

acr
BANNED

Post by acr » Wed May 11, 2011 12:08 pm

try ebay thats where I got my SRT-4 disc brakes from.

sxxxt
2GN Member

Post by sxxxt » Thu May 12, 2011 6:41 pm

I did probay one of the best rear disc swap/upgrade u can do in my own opinion... I love helping ppl out so ask away...

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Thu May 12, 2011 6:49 pm

sxxxt wrote:I did probay one of the best rear disc swap/upgrade u can do in my own opinion... I love helping ppl out so ask away...
Huh? What is the best rear disc swap?
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

sxxxt
2GN Member

Post by sxxxt » Thu May 12, 2011 7:51 pm

When most people decide to do a rear disc swap all they do is find some used discs and install them as is....the best is painting for protection agains rust... New emergency brake hardware kit.
New Rear wheel hubs... New brake pads and rotors abd stainless brakelines... And poly bushing kit... I realize some people will upgrade one or two if those but I did everything possible to the rear so by doing that I consider it to b the best conversion you could do......

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Thu May 12, 2011 9:17 pm

^I feel you. When I did mine I wire wheeled any rust and grime off, cleaned and painted everything high temp flat black. Polished the lines and fittings too. Do it right the first time, I always say.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Fri May 13, 2011 12:40 am

sxxxt wrote:When most people decide to do a rear disc swap all they do is find some used discs and install them as is....the best is painting for protection agains rust... New emergency brake hardware kit.
New Rear wheel hubs... New brake pads and rotors abd stainless brakelines... And poly bushing kit... I realize some people will upgrade one or two if those but I did everything possible to the rear so by doing that I consider it to b the best conversion you could do......
i'll do you one better........all of my rear disc swap parts were purchased new from a dealer.......all of them... then everything that could be powdercoated, was...
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

Fuel systems turbo kits and components, tuning, performance parts. Contact us for all of your performance needs.

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Fri May 13, 2011 1:13 am

NiteHawk wrote:i'll do you one better........all of my rear disc swap parts were purchased new from a dealer.......all of them... then everything that could be powdercoated, was...
That is exactly my plan once I finish the SRT.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 :tard:
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

mustmopar91
n00b

Post by mustmopar91 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:07 am

so from what ive gethered im gonna need
-new rotors
-calipers
and in theory couldnt i just use the old brake line that went into the drum for the new cliper instead of buying a new line and installing it?
-the hub/knuckle...i noticed in the second post with the very detailed pics how to (thanks btw)....there was something wrapped around the hub that looked almost like a part of drum brakes?????
are the knuckle and hub one in the same??
-emergency bake hardware kit
-pads

i was shoppin at nappa and it was shootin me about 430-500 bucks ...sound about right?

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:44 am

depends on how you want to do it and what type of rear disc setup you get....if you want the cheap way out you will need the somplete setup from the donor car thats the bracket, the backing plate, calper, e brake cables, brake line (the drum line will not fit on the caliper as the fittings are different) pads and rotors. the setup will bolt up to what you have now so no need for a hub Unless yours has high mileage.

That piece you are seeing Im gonna assume you see the ring of teeth on the hub bearing...thats for the abs sensor. if ur car is not equipped it wont hurt anything.

If you need a hand I have srt rear brake lines and a decent set of pads if you need em. Let me know.
***Project "Got Boost?" is officially underway***

My for sale threads:
Parts:
viewtopic.php?p=930876#930876

LED Modifications
viewtopic.php?t=56918

Audio
viewtopic.php?t=47688

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Fri May 13, 2011 10:23 am

Oh okay I understand. Yea most of my brake stuff was new. Calipers etc..

I was thinking you meant like better then braking performance. Like bigger calipers or rotors etc..
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

sxxxt
2GN Member

Post by sxxxt » Tue May 17, 2011 5:12 am

I'm not 100% sure cuz I havent searched it but I don't think they make a big brake kit for the rear...

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Thu May 19, 2011 2:10 pm

sxxxt wrote:I'm not 100% sure cuz I havent searched it but I don't think they make a big brake kit for the rear...
Nope, not yet...
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Thu May 19, 2011 8:55 pm

OP - The rear discs use a drum-in-hat style rotor with the drum portion solely used as the ebrake. Also, the regular drum and disc brake lines are different as are the ebrake cables. So a complete rear disc setup would require the following:

-Rotor
-Pads
-Caliper + bolts
-Caliper adaptor
-Hub assy
-Brake lines
-ebrake cables
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”