What makes a header 50 state legal?

Is your car throwing codes or are you having a hard time passing your state or county emission test? Ask how to fix it here.
timk225
2GN Member

What makes a header 50 state legal?

Post by timk225 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:10 pm

I have a 5 SXT ATX, and it's getting tuned a bit. One of my mods will be a header. I've been looking at the Pacesetter headers on eBay. Are they a good brand that won't leak, crack, or break on me?

I'll get a black painted one, I don't need any of that chrome coated BS.

But after reading some header descriptions, I got to wondering why some are 49 state legal and some are 50. This is of concern to me since my Neon and I are moving to Los Angeles later this year. I personally couldn't care less if my car is emissions legal or not, but I don't want to deal with some snivelly, whiny, government A-hole saying some insignificant detail makes the header illegal and I have to change it and all that. I don't need to get into trouble for applying my shoe to his ass forcefully and with feeling and emotion! :thefinger:

So what's the criteria? The header has to have an O2 sensor in it? Or that little metal tag welded on? Both? Neither?

Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pacesetter-Exha ... 3339wt_956

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:34 pm

last state is probably cali knowing their strict emissions laws. Most times a short tube header will pass no issues, mainly because the cat is still there and isnt moved. some states have rules about moving the cat from its original location, even if you run a cat on say a LTH, because it isnt in the factory location it will fail emissions.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

packfan88
2GN Member

Post by packfan88 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:46 pm

the 50th state in those 49 state legal cases is always going to be California. They are strict when it comes to emissions.

So its safe to assume you live in one of the other 49. Cause you woulda known about that as a wee young lad hearing your Pops curse out the govt for all their restrictions while looking at a Summit Racing catalog.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: What makes a header 50 state legal?

Post by occasional demons » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 pm

timk225 wrote: I personally couldn't care less if my car is emissions legal or not,
Good luck with that in Cali.

It has to be CARB Exempt. You will need to keep the certification for emissions testing.

A Pace Setter is not a direct bolt on either. They were designed for 1gn's and never made to fit the 2gn downpipe.

Why would you bother with a Pace Setter, when THIS is a far better bolt on option? You could sell the down pipe and recover some of the cost...

Stainless > Chrome > paint. Of course ceramic coated SS beats them all. :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

SJT2
n00b

Post by SJT2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:41 pm

I have the painted Pacesetter longtubes on my 95 Camaro and it took about a half mile before the paint burned off. It looked like my car was on fire. ALWAYS get stainless or ceramic coated unless you like rusty headers. Good luck.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah, you're going to not want to move to LA if you don't want the emissions hassle.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

timk225
2GN Member

Post by timk225 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Got the Pacesetter last week. I checked the website and it has Code 11 for CARB approval, and a metal tag welded to the headers gives its approval number.

I also got the right female adapter pipe from NAPA, 2-1/2", to bolt up to it.

So I'm ok. I'll still get a paper copy of the exemption, as it's hard enough to read the metal tag out of the car on a clean header, much less trying to do it in the car.

It looks like it was chrome at one time but it's mostly burned off. Chrome headers are crap, just as much as header paint.

I wonder if I should thermal wrap it and if it'd make any difference.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Thermal wrap voids most header warranties. But I have not seen one fall apart from it either.

Chrome depends on the quality of the plating. The Doug Thorley header on my Jeep is at least 7 or 8 years old now, and isn't really rusting that much at all.

Chrome or stainless is going to blue or turn black from the heat, there just isn't too much you can do about that. If you want them to stay pretty, then ceramic coating is about the only way.

Ceramic's looks is only a side benefit tho.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Re: What makes a header 50 state legal?

Post by NickKo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:26 pm

timk225 wrote:This is of concern to me since my Neon and I are moving to Los Angeles later this year.
There's still time to NOT move to CA., if you change your mind !! :lol:

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Return to “Emissions”