First autocross of the year

Have some questions about AutoX or Rally racing, like what types of tires are good or where to start for suspension, ect... ask them here.
GroceryGetter
2GN Member

First autocross of the year

Post by GroceryGetter » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:40 pm

My setup:
2004 SXT 5 speed
SOHC SRT turbo @6psi
SRT intercooler
AEM FIC tuned by XI
Factory suspension with the exception of a 1gn rear sway
Hoosier R6 205/50/15 up front and junk Nexxen tires in the rear

The turbo of course put me in SMF.

My competition

92 Civic hatch
B18 GSR drivetrain
adjustable shocks and lowering springs
205/50/15 Falken Ziex 912 tires

92 Civic hatch
B20
Adjustable shocks and lowering springs
Gutted with bracing in the hatch
225/45/15 Nitto n1 on front unknown size Nitto street tires
n the rear

My only real advantage, torque.
The Hoosier were like glue, the Nexxens were like...well like Nexxens. Oversteer city.
Because of this I was not able to really push the car without having the rear end want to come unglued. I basically had to write the first heat off as I found the limits of my tires. Once the second heat came around I had a good idea of what I was able to do.

2nd heat
Run #1 75.651
Run #2 70.551
Run #3 70.225

The Results
The Civic hatch with the B20 could not get below 72 seconds. The B18 hatch ran a best of 70.228. I took first place by .003 seconds. Not bad for a Neon running factory suspension with 130k miles. Yes I have a turbo, thus giving me a massive torque advantage, but my weight and body roll are a major handicap at autocross.

Another set of Hoosiers is on the way for the rear. Next event I should be able to give the car a little more speed to keep the Hondas at bay. Bushings and stiffer springs are a later project after an Eagle and JE stuffed block are complete.
NGC SOHC Plug and Play turbo ecu kit coming soon.

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:41 pm

lol run RS3 front/r1r in the rear and i can still get loose and thats a GOOD low temp sticky street tire. you must have had a real handful with the A6/all season combo :shock:

remember if you think your going to spin out accelerate the front >> MORE GAS ;-)

first event for us is this coming weekend.
:rockon:
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

GroceryGetter
2GN Member

Post by GroceryGetter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:41 am

Yeah, I wanted it to rotate for me so I kept the Nexxens on, but it was far more than I expected. Between the extra speed the turbo could build for me and the grip of the R6's the crap rear tires were so far out of there league it was scary.

The fact that I still managed to keep ahead of the Honda's once I got it under control tells me they need more seat time.

I uploaded a few of the runs to YouTube and will link here later. I did not load a run from the first heat because there was a few choice words spoken when it came out from behind me and screwed up a slalom.

GroceryGetter
2GN Member

Post by GroceryGetter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a8mxjr3j8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3IEj6mzkhQ

in the second video when i pull back into the pits you can see my competition, the white Civic and the red Civic in front of me.

bone-yard-racing
2GN Member

Post by bone-yard-racing » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 am

Careful with race tires up front and all seasons at the back that combo has caused a couple cars to roll.

Looks like you're doing pretty well the only issues I saw you're turning too late in the slalom. Mentally draw a straight line through the slalom (usually the cones are close enough) once the weight transfers across that line turn, if the car turns too much you can go faster. Slaloms are very odd but great when you figure them out. Also work on your apexing you are turning early causing you to get closer than need to the outside. If anything turn late and back it up.

Keep beating the Hondas!

c987long
2GN Member

Post by c987long » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:22 am

lookin good buddy, i cant wait to get my car ready and attend one
2001 neon r/t sold
98 sport turbo- built motor 2.0 ngc DOHC, powered by srt ecu and hp tuners
esteinmaier wrote: We all know that an SRT4 wing is the Chuck Norris of car parts.
occasional demons wrote: Dude, your neon is all the sex you'll ever need!
:lol:

Return to “Autocrossing / Rally”