airbox

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
glasjaw
2GN Member

airbox

Post by glasjaw » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:19 pm

im getting a head ache reading...
i recall someone saying taking the lid off the airbox and cutting the bottom out would pull in colder air
am i just crazy?
im gonna make a homemade one but for the moment i was just wondering if that was true
Alpine CDA-9886
Sundown Sax100.4
Focal Polyglass VR comps
Sundown Saz-1500D
Ssa Xcon 15"
Big 3 1/0 guage

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:05 pm

I took just the lid off mine, sounded kinda cool at WOT, gas mileage went thru the fucking floor though. I drove around 120 miles a week and had to fill up at least twice a week. It had a gurgling kind of sound to it. Right now I have the hole cut but the lid is on it has a more "mature" kind of sound to it, deeper more bassy (new word). Might take the lid off just to see, but the fitler would be exposed the hot engine air (which is my theory on why my mileage sucked) so there would be no point in cutting the hole, don't know maybe I'll try it and tell you guys.
Justin- I have nothing but smart ass remarks to add.
:-s
Fire_Hippo wrote:Frizbe, you rock my socks.
- Jeff's girlfriend

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:37 pm

linkinevo wrote:Might take the lid off just to see, but the fitler would be exposed the hot engine air (which is my theory on why my mileage sucked)
I'm guessing its because you love the WOT and deep sound you get from it. So you always floored it to get that sound. I did that, but then put it back on when I saw how fast my gas was going.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 :tard:
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:03 pm

:tongue: damnit! how'd you find out? Still though even when I tried to drive "normal" I could watch the gas needle drop. It was preety amusing until:
A. a red light was coming up
B. I could see the money drifting away in the breze.
- Jeff's girlfriend

unsuper man
2GN Member

Post by unsuper man » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:57 pm

taking the lid off your air box wont cause you to run thro tanks in 120mile periods. my turbo car still gets close to 400miles to a tank. maybe your pos neon just gets bad milage anyways. and if you cut the bottom of the box off, theirs no point in taking to top off. if you want cheap intakes ebay sells them for 25shipped i think. and when i was all motor i made one from pvc for 10 dollors, and it worked fine. intakes are over rated anyways, i dont even have a filter on my turbo now... :shock:
:lol:

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:53 pm

no it was the taking off of the lid, as soon as I put the lid back on (still drive the same way) my mileage was back, although I do agree that there really is no point in cutting a hole to get more cold ais into the filter if you are going to let it escape into the engine campartment with the lid off.
- Jeff's girlfriend

unsuper man
2GN Member

Post by unsuper man » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:06 pm

i cant bleieve the lid made THAT much of a difference in gas milage. i think maybe its in your mind..... or your foot became less heavy once the llip was back on....

neoSXT
n00b

Post by neoSXT » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:57 pm

No i have the same problem. My gas mileage sucks balls when I take my air box cover off but when its on its fine.
2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Ebay CAI
R/T Exhaust
BFGoodrich Gforce Sport 205/55R15

unsuper man
2GN Member

Post by unsuper man » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:43 pm

sounds to me like tthe sound makes your foot push the pedal down further, and when u put the lid back, no more ricer sound, and thus no more need to push the pedal so fall down...

glasjaw
2GN Member

Post by glasjaw » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:08 pm

i took off the top and before i read the replies i thought i was getting bad mileage. I pretty much have a heavy foot all the time anyway, i duno, sounds kinda cool though.
Alpine CDA-9886
Sundown Sax100.4
Focal Polyglass VR comps
Sundown Saz-1500D
Ssa Xcon 15"
Big 3 1/0 guage

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:29 am

unsuper man wrote:sounds to me like tthe sound makes your foot push the pedal down further, and when u put the lid back, no more ricer sound, and thus no more need to push the pedal so fall down...
titansxt wrote:I'm guessing its because you love the WOT and deep sound you get from it. So you always floored it to get that sound. I did that, but then put it back on when I saw how fast my gas was going.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

CU_rob
2GN Member

Post by CU_rob » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:27 am

the best thing you can do for as stock intake is remove the highly restrictive resonator in the fender well and just keep the stock box and snorkle.... the fender resonator is one of the most restrictive things I have ever seen.
01 Silver ACR = 60mm TB, AEM CAI, mopar wires, NGK-R plugs, Mopar Short Shifter *Now with new Orange flavor Bugger Bushings!!
02 Steel Blue Jeep Liberty Sport 4x2 = Wife's Car

Wallpapers:
viewtopic.php?t=944
http://cu-rob.deviantart.com/gallery/

n3on2k2
2GN Member

Post by n3on2k2 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:22 pm

what do you mean by resonator in the fender. or do you mean the accordian style rubber hose goin to the air box

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:41 pm

It's a huge box that sits infront of your driver side front wheel behind the plastic inner fender.... it's used as a snorkle and to muffle engine noise coming from the intake.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

3Bar_Mopar
2GN Member

Post by 3Bar_Mopar » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:03 am

unsuper man wrote: intakes are over rated anyways, i dont even have a filter on my turbo now... :shock:
I agree, but you need a filter on that turbo! :shock:

One small rock and you have a wasted compressor wheel!
Actually...it's shown to be an improvement using cold air induction on a turbo car......much to the dismay of my arguments against it.

2001 Neon: SRT struts, cone filter

1997 Neon: Kirk LT, under drive pulley, Maddog STS, CAI, solid mounts, crappy muffler, DOHC PCM

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:38 pm

3Bar_Mopar wrote: Actually...it's shown to be an improvement using cold air induction on a turbo car......much to the dismay of my arguments against it.
Bwhahaha^^
The air goes into the FMIC first anyways before it goes into the cylinders!!!!!! :lol:
I'm just messing.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
Lemon Neon member #1.

05srt4clone
2GN Member

Post by 05srt4clone » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:42 am

So what your saying is if I just take the resonator of my intake it will be less restrictive? I already tried taking the lid off and putting a cone filter on it. MPG sucked but sounded cool. Also do you think the stock filter is good enough? And between shifts and at about 2300 RPM the intake(or parts) makes a whistling noise. I would appreciate it for helping me out.

Thanks,
Ryan

eVilcreations
Former Jr. Admin

Post by eVilcreations » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:02 am

the whistling is completely normal......it will be louder if you have a CAI.

sxt
2GN Member

Post by sxt » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:58 am

05srt4clone wrote:So what your saying is if I just take the resonator of my intake it will be less restrictive? I already tried taking the lid off and putting a cone filter on it. MPG sucked but sounded cool. Also do you think the stock filter is good enough? And between shifts and at about 2300 RPM the intake(or parts) makes a whistling noise. I would appreciate it for helping me out.

Thanks,
Ryan
Leave the lid on, take the resonator off. With the lid off you are sucking in all the hot air from the engine bay. You might even get some dryer hose or something and route it from your grill to the air box, it sounds ghetto but it works. Cooler air = more dense air = more horsepower.

Kernel Panic
2GN Member

Post by Kernel Panic » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:01 pm

Stop being so bloody cheap and buy an AEM or Iceman CAI already.. :p As for your MPG going down, lift up on your right foot.
The weasels are closing in, I can smell the ugly brutes..
When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro.. - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)

Greg
2001 Magnum equipped Neon ES
My website

Return to “Engine”