2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to: change control arm bushings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> How-To's -> HT Chassis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenni
aka Legoman
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4
ICQ Status:

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: How to: change control arm bushings Reply with quote

To change the control arm bushings is not tooo heavy at all. Very helpful are a lifting platform, bench vice, one impact screwdriver and 3 hours time. Special tool is not needed.
1. buy bushings. In the picture PU-bushings for the PT Cruiser

Front end jack up and

remove front wheels

Then remove the anti-roll bar. That is relatively simple...

We began on the driver's side. Screw from rear bushing remove. Those is at least 20" long and sticks much, like all the others also…

front screw remove

remove 3rd screw (behind the brake)

and in such a way the part looks then

Now it becomes excitingly: The old bushings must be removed. We squeezed the bushings out with the help of a bench vice.

Now the old rubber bushes must be removed from the metal bush. We burned that rubber things down

and then the remainders with a knife removed.

The new bushings can be pressed in then completely easily with a bench vice

and in such a way the whole looks then with new bushings

Installation completely simply in reverse order.

Next the passenger side. There one of the screws for the control arm hides itself BEHIND the lower engine mounting .

this must be removed thus

The rest is here exactly the same as on the driver's side. To assemble the joint must be the control arm pressed downward with a as long as possible lever.

And thus the whole would be finished...

A view into our garage

Thank you at Martin for the large assistance!!!

Please excuse my google-english... Cool

Click here to see all my modifications
for sale: UNIQUE 10.2" in dash tft screen radio bezel
latief
2000 Neon MTX
2GN Registrant

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent write up!!
kc2005ptgt
Formerly kc2002acr
Former Moderator

2002 Dodge Neon ACR

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wohnst du in Berlin?
Ich nahm ein wenig deutsches in der Schule, so ist es nicht ganz gutes das! Dein Auto schaut prima! Die Informationen ist gut, danke!
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

Marthby
Meow?
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice right up! Big Thumb Up

Apply here. haha tricked ya' bitch!
Canada
Chris
Junior Admin

1998 Plymouth Expresso

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great write up! Is that Marrakas car on the hoist in the last picture...

Donate to 2GN today! Support Your Community!
Jenni
aka Legoman
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4
ICQ Status:

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, thats my car. Marakka has american licence plates.

Yes, it is in Berlin and i live there.
Your german sounds good...

Click here to see all my modifications
for sale: UNIQUE 10.2" in dash tft screen radio bezel
Canada
Chris
Junior Admin

1998 Plymouth Expresso

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I forgot you went to the 2003+ rear end and installed the lights n the bumper. It looks really good!

Donate to 2GN today! Support Your Community!
Moved: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:58 am by BlackRoseRacing
From How-To's to HT Chassis
JerryR
2GN Registrant

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to use your HT next week i'll recive my bushings from modernperformance. thanx for the writeup thumbup

BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you tear into the car, pick up some Liquid Wrench L112 penetrant.
http://www.gunk.com/CAT_L112.asp
The reason I specify this spray, it's the same formula as the Mopar penetrant that runs 3 times the price.
Spray this penetrant into the frame rail hole soaking the bolt and nut for the LCA bushing.This bolt is known to be a pain in the but to remove and soaking it a head of time will ease in the removal.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #666
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GWing
2GN Registrant

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one question.....how do you remove the vertical bushing from the control arm? what do you use to remove it a bench vice and????? HALP! HALP!!!!!
Boyscoutgonebad
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWing wrote:
one question.....how do you remove the vertical bushing from the control arm? what do you use to remove it a bench vice and????? HALP! HALP!!!!!

Fire! I just used the Acetylene torch and burned them all out. Small propane torch would work as well, it'll just take a little longer.
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha "google-english". Great write-up, thank you Smile
YUMYUM GOODIES
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent writeup. Just finished the front end up and it wasn't bad at all. I soaked everything in wd40 as soon as I thought about doing this and again when I ordered the bushings and one last time the night before the install. My verticals fell out upon removal which was real encouraging but the new ones made me fall inlove with my car again. The best way to get the old bushings out is to heat the collars in the center of the bushings then have a friend or in my case my dad take a deep socket and an extension and tap out the collar once the bushings around it melts the just push the rubber out. Rear will be easier because I'm swapping in dcr adjustable control arms. Oh the only bolts I had problems with was the swaybar bracket bolts snapping but I ordered all new stuff for that anyways so fuck them. But yes as others have said propane at the very least is necesary to do this.

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=33260<<<<<Pics & Mods
moorepower1
n00b

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a notation, on a 2000 atx, I found out today that you have to drop the K member on the drivers side to get the front bolt out. It hits the trans case when it is only half out. It is just one more bolt so it is not that big of deal.
nerox
2011 Silver Contributor

2001 Chrysler Neon R/T

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: (none) Reply with quote

mine had an advisory on MOT that these need changing (not sure if it means both sides)

it seems though that you cant buy just the bushings in England so i have bought the pair of entire replacement arms .... not looking forward to doing it though.

I can change oil, plugs, other service items, brake discs, exhaust etc just the basics but i dont know if i will be able to do this, never tried it before!
c987long
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyscoutgonebad wrote:
GWing wrote:

Fire! I just used the Acetylene torch and burned them all out. Small propane torch would work as well, it'll just take a little longer.

i soaked them in brake cleaner, then took out a lighter.. and it was cool.. imo

esteinmaier wrote:
We all know that an SRT4 wing is the Chuck Norris of car parts.

occasional demons wrote:

Dude, your neon is all the sex you'll ever need!
Laughing
nerox
2011 Silver Contributor

2001 Chrysler Neon R/T

Post: #17   PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have bought new arms and put the prothane bushings onto them.

have burned out the old ones no problem, cleaned it all up and got the horizontal one in real easily and i can press the bottom piece of the vertical in but the top of the vertical will not go in, i have tried g clamp and vice and a press but it just wont go in, have used lots of grease.

it seems that there is a small lip on the edge of the metal sleeve which is on the arm on this top side which is stopping it going on, shal i sand this down or will it cause problems ?
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member UK#1

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #18   PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps

dblsg wrote:
ya'll a bunch of post whores

desmodromic wrote:
You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!
brandon mitchel
n00b

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! This is really nice. I will now be able to change my control arm bushing on my own. Thanks to this.
daaboots
The bracket guy
2GN Registrant

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do the prothane bushings last compared to the OEM ones? I'm tired of replacing mine every 50K kilometeres.

Dodge Aries K
2GN Registrant

Post: #21   PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the need of doing this... doesn't seem TOO awful. Oh, daaboots, do you still make those rear sway bar brackets?
sxxxt
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #22   PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this does not look like what he installed.....
how does mine go in..

does it go like this:

is the way i have it set up the same as the picture

Progress log
http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=33974&start=690
BrownBeast
Lord
n00b

2001 Chrysler Neon LX

Post: #23   PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... that's strange, the last mechanic I took my car to told me you can't change just the bushing on a neon... and you have to change the entire control arm :S... well, I suppose it's good that I decided not to let him touch anything else, as after the major service I had squeeking brakes, and one of my indicators works sometimes :O
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #24   PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most shops would rather just replace the whole arm, than press in new oem type bushings. Installing prothane or ES bushings would boggle these mechanic's minds.

For the customer, there is prolly little difference in cost, as they would charge more for the labor of changing the bushings. With a whole new arm, there is a new ball joint also, so it is insurance for them, that it will not return before the short warranty period.

dblsg wrote:
ya'll a bunch of post whores

desmodromic wrote:
You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!
esfan
2011 Silver Contributor

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #25   PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll just get the full set of the LCA and avoid those pushing and pulling and burning issues. The write up is really good however.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #52
alsey_seven
Push little kart
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #26   PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need to replace the ball joint.. but thnking on just replacing the whole control arm
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000043 For 2000 neon

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000125 For 2001 R/T

greybox
2GN Registrant

Post: #27   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no vice and no garage....and no torch...is it better to just buy a control arm w new bushings already installed and skip over the torch and vice parts for the extra cost?
OB
Rough Rider

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #28   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Absolutely, if you're not upgrading to urethane, a complete unit with bushings and ball joints from the dealer is by far worth the extra cost. Be prepared to pay $200 per side, give or take.

| Donate to 2gn | Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

greybox
2GN Registrant

Post: #29   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks...I noticed on ebay they are $105 ea w bushing and new ball joints...would like poly bushings but don't want to muck with it right now.
OB
Rough Rider

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #30   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to OEM pricing, of course ebay will have knock offs for half the price. Not even something I would consider personally, but that's not to say it isn't a quality product. I just prefer not to learn the hard way when it comes to critical parts of the car. I'm sure there are name brand aftermarket units that would strike a balance between OE quality and budget.

| Donate to 2gn | Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> How-To's -> HT Chassis All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: