2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hesitation after shifting into 2nd...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnymopar
200k and counting...

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #31   PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PCM reflash definitely helped, but it didn't completely eliminate it for my car. It's much better than it was before, so oh well I guess.

2003 Neon SXT
1989 Daytona ES 2.4L Turbo
3Bar_Mopar
Strapping Young Lad
2GN Registrant

Post: #32   PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrect an old ass thread.

I noticed that my car every so often will do something similar driving at a higher RPM in any gear....if I go to pass someone, it will kinda hesitate and pop from the exhaust a little....sometimes it will miss while cruising.

I have new plugs and wires. I have the 60mm TB and cold air pipe. I figured maybe it's too much airflow with a sudden throttle input?
jonnymopar
200k and counting...

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #33   PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to ask: how old are the oxygen sensors? Original? I ask because I just replaced mine and it made an unexpected improvement in response. I replaced both of them because I was throwing a code for an open heater on the downstream. Mine were original with 190k miles. So glad I did both at once!

For reference, my car has a 60mm throttle body, Iceman cold air intake, brand new NGK IX plugs, and very recent MSD wires, along with a Borla cat-back exhaust. Sounds like a very similar setup to what you have. As you can see above (from nearly a decade ago) that I did have my car reflashed at the dealership, which provided marginal improvement at best.

2003 Neon SXT
1989 Daytona ES 2.4L Turbo
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #34   PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnymopar wrote:
Just to ask: how old are the oxygen sensors?

This.

I also saw a big improvement in throttle response with a fresh 02 sensor. I had about 172,000 miles IIRC, when I replaced it. (My 2001 2.0)

I have a 60mm TB too, with a ghetto blaster IM, that has no bottle neck after the throttle. The TB bolts directly to the IM. All you need to do is apply a little pressure to the throttle, and she goes.

The only other suggestion would be to check the voltage output from the TPS sensor to be sure it is smoothly climbing as the throttle opens. An old or cheap analog needle type works best, (if you can find one) as some digital meters tend to jump around no matter what.

When my TPS began to get flaky, I would occasionally get a bit of hesitation/pop in the IM on take off. Replacing the plugs seemed to fix it but it returned later on, and the plug gap was still fine.

Eventually it failed totally, and would backfire in the IM just free revving.

If you have Speed Control, and it randomly cancels for no obvious reason, that too is a symptom that the TPS is going bad. It will tell you long before the PCM sees the need to set a code.

The only code I got when the TPS failed was the TPS/MAP correlation code. It never really gave a specific TPS voltage too high or too low.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
3Bar_Mopar
Strapping Young Lad
2GN Registrant

Post: #35   PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to work this morning...seems to be getting more frequent. Seems to hesitate the most at around 80 mph and about 3k to 3.5k rpm. Kinda like it just misses and surges.....then if I get into it, it will "uhhhhhhpopuhhhhhpopuhhhhhh"

I'm thinking like you guys say...maybe an 02...it's not that old. I'm thinking also maybe a cam sensor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: