2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

darrell cox 2.0 to 2.2 to 2.6l sohc stroker saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swordfish2Cowboy
Wheeeeee!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #751   PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, guess I haven't been in this thread in almost a year. What a shitty end. This is disheartening.

mopar Run Away
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
r/tguy02
I piss excellence
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #752   PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's a shitty end with a new beginning

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823
SGT BRAD
2GN Registrant

Post: #753   PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still working on the car, just way too busy right now to spend time on it. fwiw i finally have my own shop again. i am also finished with the rewire and should be able to try firing it up again whenever i find the time to move the car to my shop. i'm going to sort everything out n/a first and then boost it. i have a bfmic, bw256et turbo, gizzmo ebc, sohc manifold, etc. just need to source the boost pipes and fab everything up when it's ready to boost. it may still be a while, but i'll eventually get there. i've just lost some of the verve i had 5 years ago when this all started!
r/tguy02
I piss excellence
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #754   PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear brad Very Happy

gilly02le
5 Speed Swapped
2GN Registrant

2002 Chrysler Neon LE

Post: #755   PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep pushin'
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #756   PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGT BRAD wrote:
i've just lost some of the verve i had 5 years ago when this all started!

Some of that will come back when you can actually drive it again.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #757   PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are things going Brad?

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
srtjesse
2GN Registrant

Post: #758   PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so did this thing ever get finished i want to see this beast running not only was it sick N\A but boosted OMG

2004 white dodge neon 2.4 DOHC swapped
2004 red dodge neon srt-4 gone Sad
2000 flat black plymouth neon 2.0 DOHC swapped gone Sad
2002 silver dodge neon parts car R.I.P
2000 green dodge neon parts car R.I.P
timk225
2GN Registrant

Post: #759   PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the final 5 pages of this topic. Did I see it in there that you spent 15 THOUSAND dollars on this motor to NOT achieve 200 hp?

This reminds me of about 10 years ago, when I was all hot and bothered to build a "Screamin' Six" 225 Slant Six engine. I had that thing done up right. ARP main studs and rod bolts, 4 pounds ground off the 76 pound crankshaft, blueprinted deck height, ported head with big valves ($700 right there DAMN), 4 barrel intake and Holley 450 mechanical secondary carburetor, a 268 Purple Shaft cam (it had to work with a stock torque convertor in a street car, which killed my 60 foot times, the motor would just bog out until it got revved up around 3000 rpm), headers and a 2-1/2" exhaust system, double roller timing chain setup, 440 fuel pump with a /6 actuating arm in it, etc. I'd shift it at 5,500 rpm in the 1/4 mile.

Bottom line, I dumped $3,000 into a 225 Slant 6 to make slightly more power than a stock 318. And blazing fast 16.3 second 1/4 mile timeslips in a 1971 Plymouth Valiant. Boy did I feel like a dumbass. At first I wanted it to be ALL MOTOR and no nitrous, and then I didn't have the money to nitrous it or turbo it, but I did daily drive it for 30,000 miles and then sold it to a guy out in Idaho and drove the car to him from PA.

In retrospect, I could have nitroused a stock or near stock /6 with inexpensive mods and gotten more power and fun.

For what it's worth, next time just get a stock SRT-4 and mod that. You'll get far more power, torque, and fun for much less money, including the car already being built to handle it.
Hudson_Neon
Boosted AT Carlisle!
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #760   PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people do meth, some people work on cars. i have like $12,000 into my car and don't regret a single penny. everybody has their hobbies

www.aspturbo.com
gtxtreme19
Pizza Guy
2010 Silver Contributor

2000 Dodge Neon ES
ICQ Status:

Post: #761   PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, long story just to say shit he's heard hundreds of times now. Maybe you should read the rest of the pages.

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:
Gramps, get a GPS.

Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Donkeypuncher
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #762   PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wouldn't stop me from doing a 2.4 n/a swap, that can be a nice setup with a few minor bolt ons. Of course being a straight swap is the only thing that makes it cost efficient and worthwhile.
timk225
2GN Registrant

Post: #763   PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just spent the last 2 hours here at work reading the entire 26 pages. Not EVERY word in EVERY post, but most of it. And I have got to say, I am pretty jacked off about how it went. But there is blame on both sides, to varying degrees.

SGT BRAD - you had a good idea, but you were nowhere near aggressive enough with the darrell / dcr shop. You let them get away with lies and excuses and multi-week delays over and over. At one point, they hadn't touched the car for a MONTH after you brought it in! INSANE!

Darrell / DCR shop - a buncha A-holes. With poor work ethics. If you are going to say a job will be done in X days, YOU DO IT!

Whoever welded that intake - what took you a full YEAR? Same thing - deliver on schedule or not at all!

I run my own computer repair business, and I go to people's houses all the time, frequently taking their PC's home for overhauls. I normally have a 2 day turnaround time from pickup to delivery, 3 days at most, even if I have to buy parts for it. I have standards of quality unrivaled by most, and especially not by those Best Buy Geek Squad idiots. A typical full overhaul, I charge $100 for, and the way I hear it, I'm cheap at that price. I do what I say I'm going to do, when I say I'm going to do it, and I expect the same from others who make a deal with me. I don't take excuses well, someone had better have died if I have to tolerate a delay!

SGT BRAD - one more thing. You spoke in the last few pages about how you wanted a 2.2 stroker or 2.6 stroker so your car would be different. I'll share a little insight on that, about having it be different. From my own personal experiences. No one gives a rat's ass! I went through it for years building Slant Sixes, and Thermoquad carburetors, and the 1979 Dodge Aspen R/T A57 E58 360-4 I used to own, and other 1960s-70's Mopars I had. I made my engines run, the Aspen R/T was a 1 of 384 built numbers matching car, and my cars were all fun to drive, but as far as anyone caring? Never happened. I noticed it myself when I'd go to car shows after I sold my Aspen R/T. I'd look at the cars (the Mopars, mostly), I'd oohh and aahh over them, and walk away to the next one. By the time I left the show, my mind was on other things, and never was another thought given to what the car owners had to do to build those clean shiny cars. No one cares.

So build what you want because YOU want it. When someone else pays for it, then you can build it their way.

Another thing - that 2.6 in the last page or 2 has DISHED pistons! How the hell did that Darrell idiot think he had 10:1 with DISHED PISTONS?!?!?!

No one had better ever give him another dollar, based on what I've seen and read in this post.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #764   PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timk225 wrote:
Another thing - that 2.6 in the last page or 2 has DISHED pistons! How the hell did that Darrell idiot think he had 10:1 with DISHED PISTONS?!?!?!

It depends on the wrist pin location. The added stroke alone with the stock piston will put the CR through the roof. You have to change the wrist pin location to either keep the piston from crashing into the head, or if it would clear, to maintain a CR. Having a dish may help reduce the CR.

It doesn't mean they got it right, but this is long in the past, and only serves as a reminder of DCR's ethics, and how hard and expensive it is to get any real power from these in N/A form. It still holds true to this day. Nothing more magical than boost has come along for the 2.0 since then. Laughing

I wouldn't expect for an answer from Brad anytime soon...

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Next Episode Garage
n00b

Post: #765   PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of a bump from the dead. Brad has been a customer of mine (from our day jobs) for about 5 years now. I recently opened a shop in Dothan, Alabama. Our name is Next Episode Garage (please like us on Facebook /shameless plug!).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Next-Episode-Garage/590171274384589

I spoke with Brad about finishing this car for him and drove 5 hours to pick the car up in the beginning of December. For starters, I have to say, a need for licensure in the custom car industry is almost eminent. I'm not sure how Darryll Cox Racing is even in business. I'll post pictures of what the car currently looks like later on this week, but I must say, it's got a lot of work ahead of it.

For starters, we need to get a new harness in the car and get rid of the megasquirt. Being mainly a Honda/Acura shop (although we work on everything as you can see from our facebook page), I feel sorry that this neon crowd does not have more support.

I'm putting together a list of everything the car needs, but I'm also discussing with Brad the possibility of a part out. I just don't trust the work DCR has done to this motor and the last thing I want is Brad to start from zero for the fifth time.

Stay tuned........

--Ryan
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #766   PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least things might finally take a positive turn. thumbup

I'm sure there will be plenty of us, that still frequent the forum, watching this thread.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #767   PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:

I'm sure there will be plenty of us, that still frequent the forum, watching this thread.

ROFL .....not sure if sarcasm, or really thinks "plenty" still frequent the forums Laughing

jk jk. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. For sure one of the "epic" threads on 2gn.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #768   PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 80% of the 2% that are still here. ROFL

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Neon4Life
Manny
2009 Silver Contributor

Post: #769   PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i remember reading up on this build, but damn this has been a 6 year in the making build.. i would have given up after the first year.

glad someone is helping the guy out.

and as far as DCR is concerned.. yeah never bought from them and never will because all anyone says is bad things about them yet people still continue to order overly priced items from them. smh.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048
gtxtreme19
Pizza Guy
2010 Silver Contributor

2000 Dodge Neon ES
ICQ Status:

Post: #770   PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see this build might actually come to fruition. I do have one question though, why are you scrapping the megasquirt?

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:
Gramps, get a GPS.

Next Episode Garage
n00b

Post: #771   PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtxtreme19 wrote:
Glad to see this build might actually come to fruition. I do have one question though, why are you scrapping the megasquirt?

We will be switching the car to an AEM EMS if brad decides to move forward.
334-797-1536
JeffB#2
le' Booger King
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon ACR

Post: #772   PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtxtreme19 wrote:

There are other systems that perform better, are easier to work with and are much more stable. The AEM is certainly one of them.
'01 ACR Stone White
'16 Hellcat Charger Plum Crazy
www.boogerbushings.com

gtxtreme19
Pizza Guy
2010 Silver Contributor

2000 Dodge Neon ES
ICQ Status:

Post: #773   PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unaware, thanks fellas

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:
Gramps, get a GPS.

Next Episode Garage
n00b

Post: #774   PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants to see the handy work of DCR?

Still in discussions with SGT Brad to see if this will end up as a part out.......more pics to come.....
334-797-1536
INVUJerry
UNO MOD!
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge

Post: #775   PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh poor Brad. If a partout happens make sure you keep me in the loop. I've been subscribed to this thread since 07 or so amd I tried to contavt brad this last year about the build.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Next Episode Garage
n00b

Post: #776   PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do man.
334-797-1536
r/tguy02
I piss excellence
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #777   PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

engine still looks beautiful dispite the thick layer of dust from sitting all those years Sad
that MS wiring is a mess though cussing

tell brad i would love to see this thing running again. its 90% there in my eyes, just needs someone with some good wiring and tuner skills.

Next Episode Garage
n00b

Post: #778   PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is now currently for sale as it sits for $6,500.00 OBO.

Contact me at 334-797-1536 or NextEpisodeGarage@gmail.com for further inquiry!

All the car needs is a harness!

Ryan
334-797-1536
Next Episode Garage
n00b

Post: #779   PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any interest in some parts INVUjerry?
334-797-1536
titansxt
Go post count!
2GN Registrant

Post: #780   PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dibs on the fenders if they are good quality ones!

2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 tard
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. Laughing
ram50rocket wrote:

I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Naturally Aspirated All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: