Synthetic Oil Discussion / Which Synthetic Oil?

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
05srt4clone
2GN Member

Synthetic Oil Discussion / Which Synthetic Oil?

Post by 05srt4clone » Sat May 21, 2005 3:41 pm

I am leaning more towards Mobil 1 Synthetic and Mobil Oil filter for my first oil change. What oil do you guys use and what oil filters?

Thanks,
Ryan
06 GMC Canyon Crew Cab Inline 5
Brainstorming mods
06 Toyota Corolla S
Wife's Car- Gas Saver

eVilcreations
Former Jr. Admin

Post by eVilcreations » Sat May 21, 2005 4:28 pm

Mobile 1 Synthetic, and MOPAR Perf. filter

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sat May 21, 2005 4:46 pm

Mobile 1 for sure or what I've been using, Leading Edge (ModernPerformance sells it) Either one of those are excellent oils.

As for oil filters... ACDelco is excellent, K&N, Mobil, PureONE

Ones to stay away from are FRAM!... those are a big NO NO for quality. DON'T buy fram! I've heard it several times from many different people and personally seen the quality of the filters, not good.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

05srt4clone
2GN Member

Post by 05srt4clone » Sat May 21, 2005 5:10 pm

What's wrong with Fram?
Brainstorming mods
06 Toyota Corolla S
Wife's Car- Gas Saver

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sat May 21, 2005 5:57 pm

Quality of the filters are horrid. They use a carboard bypass valve and the filter element not evenly spaced so parts are tightly packed while others are loose.

To quote the NTPOG Oil Filter Review page - http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml
The Fram filter appears well-made in terms of actual build quality (uniform pleat seperation, consistent glue, etc.). Contrary to The Mini-Mopar site evaluation, neither of the two Fram filters tested here had the "assembly" strings around the filter element, possibly a recent improvement made by Fram. There is a clear indentation where this string was (I presume it was removed prior to final assembly). The filter element is somewhat "fuzzier" than any of the Bosch, STP, or M1 units, though not as much as the Honda (US-made) media. I'm not sure how much this might deteriorate over time. The poor sealing of the plastic bypass would likely result in some continual bypass, and after only a few minutes of playing with the valve I was able to get it to stick open. This bypass design would appear to be very poor. My primary concern with this filter are the cardboard end caps- I would be suspicious that the cardboard would deteriorate over time and may come loose, especially considering that the cardboard is in the way (partially) of the oil flow. I would be particularly concerned about this in a racing environment where higher pressures are common
And the Mini-Mopar Page - http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Fram Tough Guard TG8A -
This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.

The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin, cheap looking backplate, and is currently stamped with a "2Y". There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.
Fram Double Guard DG8A -
This filter has an improved filter element with more surface area (248 sqin), a heavy silicone anti-drainback valve with a good sealing surface, the same plastic pressure relief valve but with an integral screen to keep out large particles, and enough inlet holes for good flow. In my opinion, the only real drawback to this filter is that it is capped on each end with cardboard instead of metal.

The telltale signs for a Fram Tough Guard filter are: It has a better backplate that is usually shiny, with six larger holes for the inlet and 6 spot welds around the them. There are 6 large crimps holding the gasket in place. When you look through the inlet holes, you can see the orange anti-drainback valve. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.

FYI... the page also mentions that Mopar Filters are well... here..
Mopar Filters (various)

These filters are Frams, Purolators, or Wixes. Mopar does not manufacture it's own filters, nor do they require anything special from these manufacturers. Since they basically paint them a different color, stamp them with a Mopar logo, and double the price, there is no reason to buy them. Sadly, the Mopar Severe Duty 53020311 filter is actually the worst filter of them all. It is a Fram Extra Guard.
-Jason
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

05srt4clone
2GN Member

Post by 05srt4clone » Sat May 21, 2005 10:51 pm

Nice to know.

Sticky??
Brainstorming mods
06 Toyota Corolla S
Wife's Car- Gas Saver

reefSRT4
2GN Member

Post by reefSRT4 » Sun May 22, 2005 12:29 pm

Diablo0 wrote:Quality of the filters are horrid. They use a carboard bypass valve and the filter element not evenly spaced so parts are tightly packed while others are loose.

To quote the NTPOG Oil Filter Review page - http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml
The Fram filter appears well-made in terms of actual build quality (uniform pleat seperation, consistent glue, etc.). Contrary to The Mini-Mopar site evaluation, neither of the two Fram filters tested here had the "assembly" strings around the filter element, possibly a recent improvement made by Fram. There is a clear indentation where this string was (I presume it was removed prior to final assembly). The filter element is somewhat "fuzzier" than any of the Bosch, STP, or M1 units, though not as much as the Honda (US-made) media. I'm not sure how much this might deteriorate over time. The poor sealing of the plastic bypass would likely result in some continual bypass, and after only a few minutes of playing with the valve I was able to get it to stick open. This bypass design would appear to be very poor. My primary concern with this filter are the cardboard end caps- I would be suspicious that the cardboard would deteriorate over time and may come loose, especially considering that the cardboard is in the way (partially) of the oil flow. I would be particularly concerned about this in a racing environment where higher pressures are common
And the Mini-Mopar Page - http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Fram Tough Guard TG8A -
This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.

The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin, cheap looking backplate, and is currently stamped with a "2Y". There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.
Fram Double Guard DG8A -
This filter has an improved filter element with more surface area (248 sqin), a heavy silicone anti-drainback valve with a good sealing surface, the same plastic pressure relief valve but with an integral screen to keep out large particles, and enough inlet holes for good flow. In my opinion, the only real drawback to this filter is that it is capped on each end with cardboard instead of metal.

The telltale signs for a Fram Tough Guard filter are: It has a better backplate that is usually shiny, with six larger holes for the inlet and 6 spot welds around the them. There are 6 large crimps holding the gasket in place. When you look through the inlet holes, you can see the orange anti-drainback valve. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.

FYI... the page also mentions that Mopar Filters are well... here..
Mopar Filters (various)

These filters are Frams, Purolators, or Wixes. Mopar does not manufacture it's own filters, nor do they require anything special from these manufacturers. Since they basically paint them a different color, stamp them with a Mopar logo, and double the price, there is no reason to buy them. Sadly, the Mopar Severe Duty 53020311 filter is actually the worst filter of them all. It is a Fram Extra Guard.

Can that be stickied?

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sun May 22, 2005 10:59 pm

Done ;-)
-Jason

scneonchic
2GN Veteran

Post by scneonchic » Sun May 29, 2005 10:58 pm

i use mobil 1 synthetic in mine

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Mon May 30, 2005 9:36 am

I think I'll be changing mine from Pennzoil Synthetic to Mobil 1 as well. The little service sticker on the windshield tells me that the previous owner used Pennzoil. :puke:

The car won't give me problems when I change, will it?

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:54 am

no.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:22 pm

i was under the impresion that one shouldn't use synthetic for the first couple of oil changes.....the whole breaking in thing...
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:02 pm

Break in is about the first 1,000 - 2,000 miles...
-Jason

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:33 am

Change to Synthetic after 6k miles... its a proven fact that the neon motor under normal driving conditions does not really break in until 10kmiles.
Use 5-30 conventional at 3k and then switch to either 5-30 or 10-30 synthetic at 6k. 10-30 helped my piston slap go away but I sound like a diesel at idle, lifters dont like it....I did use 5-30 but then the piston slap was back...

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:29 am

I was just browsing through and I'll be changing my oil in the next couple weeks - Figured I'd post my question. My '03's at 61,000... Should I go with the synthetic or should I consider a 'higher milage' oil? Or should I wait til 90,000 or so before I switch to a high mileage forumula?

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:43 pm

Dont use that high mileage BS, it contains aditives not recomended in a DCX product.....been there done that....
Switch to 10-30 Synthetic for summer and then switch to 5-30 for winter...

scneonchic
2GN Veteran

Post by scneonchic » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:37 pm

why switch to 5-30 for winter?

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:01 pm

Thinner weight. 10W is thinker when it's cold and put more of a strain on oil pump and crank when it's cold, expecially at startup. 5W is thinner when cold and puts less strain on so your car will start faster.
-Jason

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:26 am

You can run 5-30 in the summer if you want, less windage and rotational force, but 10-30 will have better protection in the summer....

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:41 pm

Really only when yoru engine is cold since when the oil warms up both will be the same weight. The only difference between the two is the viscousity when cold.

FYI, 5W is recommended year round by DCx
-Jason

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:54 pm

DCX recomends 5-20 to be exact :wink:
It really depends on your mileage and how you drive.....I had a old K-car that used a 650CFM Holley double pumper, and I ran 20-50 in it....one because of the revs I did and two...because of how rich I ran....
I know there has to be a post somewhere that is the preffered and PROVEN method as for oil weight.....

GaryHowell
2GN Member

Post by GaryHowell » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:44 am

The manual calls for 5w30. Don't run anything but 5w30. Synthetic is good, but you must realize the regular oil is now part synthetic, they can't meet the SAE standards without being part synthetic. I run Valvoline mostly, not the synthetic, and I change my oil every 2000 miles with a filter. I use AC filters. The changing of the oil & filter is the most important thing. I have never had an oil related failure of one of my engines. Changing it, keeping it clean is more important than the type of oil.
"There is no doubt about precisely when folks began racing each other in automobiles.
It was the day they built the second automobile." -Richard Petty

2005 Car & Driver TV SuperFour Challenge Car

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:38 pm

2k miles is actually pretty frequent....
Our local NAPA uses 10-30 Synth in all there work trucks and they have hit 250,000 miles without engine failure..

WiTeOuT
2GN Member

Post by WiTeOuT » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:34 am

GaryHowell wrote:The manual calls for 5w30. Don't run anything but 5w30. Synthetic is good, but you must realize the regular oil is now part synthetic, they can't meet the SAE standards without being part synthetic. I run Valvoline mostly, not the synthetic, and I change my oil every 2000 miles with a filter. I use AC filters. The changing of the oil & filter is the most important thing. I have never had an oil related failure of one of my engines. Changing it, keeping it clean is more important than the type of oil.
Good advice Gary. I personally keep it on a strict 3,000 mile oil and filter change. I think being dedicated with your changes is the BEST way to go!

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:08 am

hey gary....fyi....DCx just announced about a month or 2 ago that they recomend 5-20 now...thats why I mentioned it :wink:

Sirdar
Fresh Fish

Post by Sirdar » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:45 pm

My new SX 2.0 has 5W-20 on the oil cap.

Has anyone used Motrlube PAO Synthetic?

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:35 pm

any synthetic is fine. supertech, penzoil, mobil1, etc. i personally do 5000 oci with mobil1 because it is the cheapest (besides supertech syn). i can go to wally world and get a 5 qt jug for $21 then go to advance and get a purolator filter for $3.50 and im set. i personally havent worked up the courage to use the supertech but im sure its fine, my dad uses it in my moms ion, sisters neon and his stratus on 5000 oci and has had no problems. he uses 10w30 mainly because it is hard to find 5w30 in the supertech syn. i personally would rather stick to 5w30 so that puts supertech syn out of the options for me. for more oil information check out the bobistheoilguy.com forums lots of oil information over there. very knowledgable people when it comes to lubricants and filters.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

scneonchic
2GN Veteran

Post by scneonchic » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:46 pm

is it better to use the mopar oil filter? thats what i used this time around, usually its just whatever they have at goodyear, but now i know how to change my own oil for the most part, no one ever explained to me exacly how and why to do everything till this past weekend

:angel5:

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:46 pm

I wouldn't use the Mopar filter... but thats just me.
Mopar Filters (various)

-Jason

scneonchic
2GN Veteran

Post by scneonchic » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:38 pm

uh oh :( so what filter should i get next time?

Return to “Engine”