2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Octane Ratings and what they mean

View previous topic :: View next topic  
infil
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Octane Ratings and what they mean Reply with quote

Ok, quick simple breakdown, Octane is fuel's resistance to ignition.
Higher the octane, the harder hte fuel is to ignite, so no, 116 does NOT burn hotter than 91 octane, it takes a helluva lot more energy to ignite.

To get the most power out of your engine, run the LOWEST possible octane you can get away with, without detonating.
The reasons you would run a higher octane fuel are turbo/high compression engines due to the increased cylinder pressure.

As cylinder pressure increases, friction from the air/fuel charge being compressed increases and this raises the temperature. That temperature increasing will cause lower octane fuel to ignite before the spark plug actually fires. Preignition will absolutely destroy an engine. It puts tremendous pressure on the rod and rings, and extreme preignition is capable of shoving rods right through pistons.

Other reasons are in cases where extremely lean conditions will be seen, as in the case of nitrous. The way nitrous works, it adds extreme ammounts of oxygen to the mixture, tipping air fuel ratios well into the 15-16 range, and again, as that temperature increases so to do the chances for pre-ignition.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, too much octane means the car will run poorly, if at all. If you put c16(116 octane race fuel) into a stock neon, the chances that the car woudl even be able to fire the mixture are slim., however 100 octane is usually something that can be done, however it will still cause a loss of power that can be pretty detrimental.

All in all, mixing 93 and 100 in a 50/50 can be done and will generally help if you have a computer that pushes alot of timing, however it is again, a fine line that can only accurately be determined on a dyno. Injectors, pressure, pulse width, and valve/ignition timing will have a much more dramatic effect on power than overdoing it with too much octane.
95 All Motor Neon
13.958@96.99
SOHC - ALL MOTOR - STOCK BLOCK

ASE Certified A1-A8
SYRYS04
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I've been tryin to tell people that usin higher octane isn't goin to increase performance on a car wit all factory parts especially those with n/a engines.... I'm still in the green right, I am correct right? Cus when u get a car that says use 89 or 91 unleaded only then THATS what you should use, if not all your doin is wastin money right.

Cus I see it like this, if u got 2 of the same cars next too each other. One car wit half a tank of 89 and the SAME car wit half of tank of 91 and you race both, you gotta be a super genius to automatically kno which is which, right?
I'M BREAKIN YOUR HEART

-SYRYS-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website   Yahoo Messenger
ahmedoth
abo
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a 02 r/t stock....what should i use?
2.0i High Output
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For maximum performance you want to use 92 octane (using the R+M/2 method)
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ahmedoth
abo
2GN Registrant

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racer12306 wrote:

thanks boss...
2.0i High Output
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racer12306 wrote:

But you can safely run 87 R+M/2

You just won't get "maximum performance" But may get better mileage. I find I can do better with 87, but it just may be that I don't have the same power to "feed into."

Just so you know, I am running an '02 R/T PCM. I just don't have 3.91 gears. Yours may actually have an advantage, in that the PCM won't need to pull timing as much, due to the lighter gearing load.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
nerox
2011 Silver Contributor

2001 Chrysler Neon R/T

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the Octane ratings you can get in the usa?

im sure i heard somewhere its like 89 91 and 93 or something?

in Great Britain the normal is 95 and then high octane usually 97 or 99
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member UK#1

racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have, generally, 87, 89, 91 octane using the R+M/2 method. The UK uses the RON number only. I think the US is the only country to average the RON and MON numbers.

There are higher altitudes that have 85, 87, 90 or something like that because the extra octane isn't needed at altitude (and I mean up around 5500ft)

Sunocos generally have 94 octane and a few select Sunocos have 100 octane unleaded race fuel.

Remember these numbers are all R+M/2.
Forum Behavior
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
heydockyle
OB Bitch
2011 Silver Contributor

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a gas station called Freedom Fuel around me that sells 104 or 106, can't remember..

05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you allowed to pump it into a street car?

leaded or unleaded?
Forum Behavior
heydockyle
OB Bitch
2011 Silver Contributor

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racer12306 wrote:
Are you allowed to pump it into a street car?

leaded or unleaded?

Yes you are allowed. I am pretty sure it is unleaded. My buddy had an srt-4 and we ran it in his car some. Boy was the power nice.

You are also allowed to buy jet fuel from an airport up here, but it has to be pumped into containers.

98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not actual jet fuel, probably avgas which is commonly used in smaller prop planes.

My dad used to use it in his race car for the oxygenation and the higher octane.
Forum Behavior
heydockyle
OB Bitch
2011 Silver Contributor

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racer12306 wrote:
Probably not actual jet fuel, probably avgas which is commonly used in smaller prop planes.

My dad used to use it in his race car for the oxygenation and the higher octane.

Yea, you're probably right. It's 108 octane if I remember correct. Ran it in the dirtbike some.

98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's avgas.

Jet fuel is glorified kerosene, essentially.
Forum Behavior
neon krazy419
FEAR MY NEON >:)
2GN Registrant

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is really interesting my friends always say go higher octane now i never will lol!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
OB
Rough Rider

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neon krazy419 wrote:
this is really interesting my friends always say go higher octane now i never will lol!

From what I've seen, you have a bunch of friends who have no idea what they're talking about. Rolling Eyes

Laughing

| Donate to 2gn | Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Marmelade Boy
2GN Registrant

2001 Plymouth Neon LX

Post: #17   PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OB wrote:
neon krazy419 wrote:

From what I've seen, you have a bunch of friends who have no idea what they're talking about. Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Thats a win! laughing3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: