2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Filter Comparison

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Oil Filter Comparison Reply with quote

This is going to be an on going tread. I currently have a Mopar, Fram and Supertech filter in both the standard and larger (aka Viper Filter) size. I have a Purolator Premium Plus in the larger size at my parents that will be cut open, and I plan on getting a standard size Purolator Premium Plus, as well as the Advance Auto house brand in both sizes.

I was only able to cut open the larger Fram (PH16) and large Mopar (MO-090) today. Then the cutoff wheel was all worn down by 3/4 of the way through the large Supertech (ST16) filter.

I am going to try take the filter media apart to get an area of filtering media.

Feel free to comment, ask me questions about what is here and talk about these pictures.

Here are the pics...

Fram PH16

Filter Baseplate

Baseplate with seal

Filter Media

Bypass Valve

Assembled without shell

Mopar MO-090

(The one on the right)

Filter Baseplate

Filter Media/Canister

Filter Media/Canister with seal

Misc part that I honestly don't know what it does, I would assume it takes up tolerances.

Assembled without shell

I am open to cracking open other filters, however this would be very expensive on my part. I do not have that much extra money. If you have a particular filter you would like me to take apart send me a PM and we can work something out.

Disclaimer: I am just posting this for informational purposes. It is your responsibility to make your own conclusions about this information.
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hudson_Neon
Boosted AT Carlisle!
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, now i can proove to my dad that FRAM isn't all that and a bag of chips. Mopar FTW!

www.aspturbo.com
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mopar FTW!

^^^
Only until recently, Mopar filters used to be Fram and thats why I stopped using them. Now it seems the latest Mopar 1090's look very similar to Purolator.
Damn, it also looks like that major oil filter website update this year....
http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html
It seems after all these years the owner finally updated that website....
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figures, guess this is all pointless now.

But if there is a filter that someone doesn't see on that site let me know if you want it disassembled and we can work something out.
Forum Behavior
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fixitmattman
Resident Douche
2GN Registrant

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from another forum something along the same lines as this post came up (back in the day). As a result I decided to hack up a USED Fram oil filter to see how it really stands up. So here it is:

Car: 2000 Chrysler Neon LE, 2.0L SOHC (Non-magnum)
Milage on filter: 9163 km ~ 5693mi (interval is 10 000km)
Oil: Walmart Tech 2000 5w30
Driving: Back country roads between cities, light/moderate acclerations, occaisional high RPM spirited driving. Cold winter starts to warmer spring days.
Filter: Fram PH3614

The filter off of the car:

Looks like when I put it on, only now it's covered in dirty oil:

A lot of people like to complain the anti-drain back valves fail on these filters. This one obviously works fine, lots of oil left in there that didn't drain back:

First look inside, so far I see no death or destruction:

This would be the metal comb that holds the two ends of the element together. It just fell out, but upon inspection you could see where I hit it with the hack saw while cutting open the filter:

Blind end cap with ant-drain back valve, looks in good shape:

Another common complaint, cardboard ant-drainback valves. This one is plastic and metal, still fully functional:

First look at filter element:

Pulled it out of the threaded end. The rubber sealing grommet came off quite easily, but it was still attached. Doesn't really matter either way as it's a compression seal anyways:

Time to tear into the element.

Another common complaint, the cardboard end caps don't hold up. Yup, they're some sort of cardboard/fiber material, but they were plenty firm. It actually took a bit of effort to rip it apart. Looks like they use an epoxie, or some other sort of glue to attach it to the element. The glue never let go, it ripped the element first:

Now the element itself. It's dirty, but not to a level that's concerning. If you've ever changed an element oil filter (as opposed to this canister style) you'll probably agree this isn't in too bad shape at all:

And lastly the threaded end. Looks pretty solid:

2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had remembered seeing pictures like that somewhere. Thanks for posting them.
Forum Behavior
Moved: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:13 am by BlackRoseRacing
From General 2nd Gen Discussion to Engine
danman132x
R/T
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yesterday I did an oil change again, and I decided to tear apart my filter.

Oil used- Penz. Platinum 5W-30
Filter- Purolator Pure One PL10241
Miles driven on this filter- 4500

I used a dremel to cut it open. Cutting disk is still about 95% good.

Lots of oil still in it, even after I attemped to drain it upside down

First pull apart

Bottom half of the canister.

With some red seal still on the filter

It feels rubbery, and is still in great shape.

The filter itself. Has a paperish feel to it, but is still very strong.

I could not rip the two ends apart, so I just took the metal piece off that holds the two ends of the element together, and then tore some of the filter material off. It was pretty tough.

The valve on the bottom inside the filter element still looks strong, and still has plenty of closing force. I beleive this is the bypass valve, but I really don't know.

Top outside

Overall it seems like it's a pretty good filter, and I will continue using them. I have been since I bought the car at 30,000 miles (51000 current), and they never gave me problems.

http://myspace.com/danman132x
magnum04RT
n00b

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody use k+n oil filters? i recently switched.
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good filters, just a little pricey imo. There are filters that are just as good but cost half the money.
Forum Behavior
IowaNeon04
T-bagger
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Mobil1 filter myself with the synthetic media in it... oil quality seems to be good out to 10k miles at a time (using synthetic oil as well)... but I agree, just as procey as the K&N.
n00b

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey iowa, you use mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 with that?
IowaNeon04
T-bagger
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run 5W-30 year-round, yes. Then I found the 0W-30, and used it in the winter and the 5W-30 in the summer... THEN I found the data sheets for the different Mobil1 products, and saw that the 0W-30 was obviously a bit more liquid at start-up than the 5W-30... but what surprised me was the 0W-30 was ALSO SLIGHTLY THICKER than the 5W-30 at operating temp (I think it was like a visc. rating of 8.1 vs. 8.0... the higher number being thicker).... so now, I just stick with the 0W-30 year-round, especially now since they started selling it the 5-qt jugs at WalMart for $20.... used to only find it at parts stores in the specialty oil aisle for $6.50 a qt.
n00b

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet. good deal. now do our cars take 5 quarts or 4.5? or closer to 4?
IowaNeon04
T-bagger
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.5... but with a full drain and filter change, I found that I can put a full 5 in and it still will stay in the crosshatch marks on the dipstick.
Wheeeeee!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #15   PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Viper filter I use five.

mopar Run Away
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.5qts with the standard filter

5qts with the fat filter
Forum Behavior
non-magnum
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobil 1 5-30 4.7qt with k&n
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch filter for 2008+ Chrysler, this is the new style thread and this will not fit our engine's.This is just for comparison.

Mopar filter removed from vehicle.
This is just for reference purposes.....
esfan
2011 Silver Contributor

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some pics but forgot where I found it. Some guys did a really nice job and cut all of those major brands on the market open. They pretty much explain everythng:

It's pretty clear that some of the filter brand use super cheap material like Fram. And K&N, Mobil and PureOne are very similar in the appearances.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #52
xSEED
2GN Registrant

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like wix for me
AZombiesMinge
n00b

Post: #21   PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this an old thread, just thought I would share my opinion. It seems that there are some very real differences between filters. I am going to continue to use K&N for two reasons, 1- I like the way they are built and the materials they use, 2- I LOVE the ability to take off with wrench instead of filter wrench. That little nub is like the best thing to ever happen to filter in my opinion.
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #22   PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to say the K&N is a bad filter, but it is way too expensive.

Most of the time I can take the filter off by hand. You don't need to hulk it on there.
Forum Behavior
AZombiesMinge
n00b

Post: #23   PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racer12306 wrote:
I'm not trying to say the K&N is a bad filter, but it is way too expensive.

Most of the time I can take the filter off by hand. You don't need to hulk it on there.

Very true, I agree that they are too expensive. I don't mind paying a little more for convenience though. I have had to put a screwdriver through way to many filter to remove and I also like the look. The white adds to clean look of the engine. It's all about personal preference I guess. But I do wish they were a little cheaper though since they are only on there for a few months at a time. You can get them for less if you buy in bulk online, as opposed to at the parts store.
nerox
2011 Silver Contributor

2001 Chrysler Neon R/T

Post: #24   PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the UK 90% of all car parts shops sell filters by MEHR they are very common and unless you searched around for a K&N or something else you probably bought a MEHR.

Anyone heard of them in the US ?
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member UK#1

Haganracing
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #25   PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy Fram Laughing

occasional demons wrote:
So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. Think
darthroush
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #26   PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerox wrote:
Here in the UK 90% of all car parts shops sell filters by MEHR they are very common and unless you searched around for a K&N or something else you probably bought a MEHR.

Anyone heard of them in the US ?

I've never heard of 'em.

Feedback | Garage | Progress Log
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #27   PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of products we never know about in the States. Heck, there is stuff we don't know about from state to state.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
esfan
2011 Silver Contributor

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #28   PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price I'll say PureONE might be one of the best choice. K&N or Mobil are both overpriced. Fram looks like shit comparing to others. All the others are OK IMO.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #52
heydockyle
OB Bitch
2011 Silver Contributor

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #29   PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard of Prime? Thats what is on the SRT right now. Checked out their website and they seem pretty big, but I've never heard of them.

05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #30   PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of that brand but it must be premium with a name like that Laughing

It's probably just a quick lube version of a Fram. When you change the oil take a pic of the base plate and we can probably identify it.
Forum Behavior
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: