2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List of RTV sealants and their applications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danteneon
Titanium Member

2002 Dodge Neon ACR

Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: List of RTV sealants and their applications Reply with quote

This is a topic copied out of the Chrysler FSM addressing the different types of RTV sealants and their proper applications.

Quote:
FORM-IN-PLACE GASKETS AND SEALERS
There are numerous places where form-in-place gaskets are used on the engine. Care must be taken when applying form-in-place gaskets to assure obtaining the desired results. Do not use form-in-place gasket material unless specified. Bead size, continuity, and location are of great importance. Too thin a bead can result in leakage while too much can result in spill-over which can break off and obstruct fluid feed lines. A continuous bead of the proper width is essential to obtain a leak-free gasket.

There are numerous types of form-in-place gasket materials that are used in the engine area. MoparŪ Engine RTV GEN II, MoparŪ ATF-RTV, and MoparŪ Gasket Maker gasket materials, each have different properties and can not be used in place of the other.

MOPARŪ ENGINE RTV GEN II is used to seal components exposed to engine oil. This material is a specially designed black silicone rubber RTV that retains adhesion and sealing properties when exposed to engine oil. Moisture in the air causes the material to cure. This material is available in three ounce tubes and has a shelf life of one year. After one year this material will not properly cure. Always inspect the package for the expiration date before use.

MOPARŪ ATF RTV is a specifically designed black silicone rubber RTV that retains adhesion and sealing properties to seal components exposed to automatic transmission fluid, engine coolants, and moisture. This material is available in three ounce tubes and has a shelf life of one year. After one year this material will not properly cure. Always inspect the package for the expiration date before use.

MOPARŪ GASKET MAKER is an anaerobic type gasket material. The material cures in the absence of air when squeezed between two metallic surfaces. It will not cure if left in the uncovered tube. The anaerobic material is for use between two machined surfaces. Do not use on flexible metal flanges.

MOPARŪ BED PLATE SEALANT is a unique (green-in-color) anaerobic type gasket material that is specially made to seal the area between the bed plate and cylinder block without disturbing the bearing clearance or alignment of these components. The material cures slowly in the absence of air when torqued between two metallic surfaces, and will rapidly cure when heat is applied.

MOPARŪ GASKET SEALANT is a slow drying, permanently soft sealer. This material is recommended for sealing threaded fittings and gaskets against leakage of oil and coolant. Can be used on threaded and machined parts under all temperatures. This material also will prevent corrosion. MoparŪ Gasket Sealant is available in a 13 oz. aerosol can or 4oz./16 oz. can w/applicator.

SEALER APPLICATION
MoparŪ Gasket Maker material should be applied sparingly 1 mm (0.040 in.) diameter or less of sealant to one gasket surface. Be certain the material surrounds each mounting hole. Excess material can easily be wiped off. Components should be torqued in place within 15 minutes. The use of a locating dowel is recommended during assembly to prevent smearing material off the location.

MoparŪ Engine RTV GEN II or ATF RTV gasket material should be applied in a continuous bead approximately 3 mm (0.120 in.) in diameter. All mounting holes must be circled. For corner sealing, a 3.17 or 6.35 mm (1/8 or 1/4 in.) drop is placed in the center of the gasket contact area. Uncured sealant may be removed with a shop towel. Components should be torqued in place while the sealant is still wet to the touch (within 10 minutes). The usage of a locating dowel is recommended during assembly to prevent smearing material off the location.

MoparŪ Gasket Sealant in an aerosol can should be applied using a thin, even coat sprayed completely over both surfaces to be joined, and both sides of a gasket. Then proceed with assembly. Material in a can w/applicator can be brushed on evenly over the sealing surfaces.

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbup

A sticky for sticky stuff!

Sorry, couldn't resist... Beat with a stick

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Danteneon
Titanium Member

2002 Dodge Neon ACR

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL That's pretty good Laughing

timk225
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What abut for head gaskets? Is there any sealer we are supposed to spray on head gaskets, or do we just install them on clean dry surfaces as is?

Does Fel-Pro make a good SOHC head gasket?
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty badass... never saw this list before! Rock ON

As for the HG, I've used the Mopar spray sealant on the Mopar MLS gaskets as the service manual says to do so. As far as a Fel-Pro gasket, I don't believe there's any issues with them for the sohc. That said, I've never used one.
Danteneon
Titanium Member

2002 Dodge Neon ACR

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like Very Happy

And like Ryan said, the spray gasket sealant should be used. If you don't have the Mopar stuff, Hi-Tack works just fine.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be doing the valve cover gasket. Need Mopar Engine RTV Gen II for cam cap corners. Is there an equivalent RTV I could use that would work and be cheaper?

2005 Neon SRT-4 #6 and WILL STAY
2008 TL Type S
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used regular RTV without issue. Since it isn't on an IM, I don't think it needs to be sensor safe.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What color would you prefer? Just black?

2005 Neon SRT-4 #6 and WILL STAY
2008 TL Type S
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall what color I used. I think it was the reddish color.

As long as it is rated for the heat and oil, it will work. (About covers most RTV sealants)

Probably the Ultra, in whatever color you prefer.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: