Lower Control Arm Bolts Help?

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:19 am

Swordfish2Cowboy wrote:Man this shit sounds scary. Any way around this?
Not really unless you never have to replace your LCA bushings. :lol: Just make sure you take your take and use plenty of penetrating oil. A shop with plenty of tools, a lift and torches helps immensely, though... Along with maybe someone that's done this a time or two.

My best of luck to anyone that's tackling this project!

Oh, and while you're at it - If you haven't done it already, plan on replacing your ball joints and sway bar links. I had already done my tie rod ends about 6 months prior to this, but I discovered my ball joints were in need of being replaced (especially after prying down on them) and the sway bar links (the black plastic spacer piece) shattered when we were putting everything back together.

Boyscoutgonebad
2GN Member

Post by Boyscoutgonebad » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:56 pm

might as well get everything updated while its torn apart. I just ordered my moog tie rod ends and ball joints from rock auto last night, and i have the prothane bushings kit, should be another "fun" project.

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:10 pm

Boyscoutgonebad wrote:might as well get everything updated while its torn apart. I just ordered my moog tie rod ends and ball joints from rock auto last night, and i have the prothane bushings kit, should be another "fun" project.
Keep us posted man. And if you have any problems, feel free to ask either in this thread or by PM and I'll give ya' a hand. It's still quite fresh in my memory. :lol:

Oh, and good luck! :thumbup:

OneDvsDime
n00b

Post by OneDvsDime » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:23 am

yeah you can ask me too, I'm the one that did his, they are a PITA, but it was fun to me, I got to weld, cut and almost catch a neon on fire lol

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:39 pm

OneDvsDime wrote:but it was fun to me, I got to weld, cut and almost catch a neon on fire lol
:beatstick:

Panhead
2GN Member

Post by Panhead » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:56 am

it was pretty easy for me. took me about 3 hrs to swap 2 control arms out.
Juice

"There is no "G" in Cummins"

Keep it Mopar, buy Mopar Parts

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Panhead wrote:it was pretty easy for me. took me about 3 hrs to swap 2 control arms out.
You were one of the fortunate ones, then. :lol:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Meh, it's just like everything else on the car, some things go well, others, not so much.
My LCA's went much smoother than my left side tie rod end. It all depends on where rust strikes.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Boyscoutgonebad
2GN Member

Post by Boyscoutgonebad » Wed May 06, 2009 11:11 pm

03sxt wrote:
Boyscoutgonebad wrote:might as well get everything updated while its torn apart. I just ordered my moog tie rod ends and ball joints from rock auto last night, and i have the prothane bushings kit, should be another "fun" project.
Keep us posted man. And if you have any problems, feel free to ask either in this thread or by PM and I'll give ya' a hand. It's still quite fresh in my memory. :lol:

Oh, and good luck! :thumbup:
I was feeling ambitions while I was Changing my oil today. Figured while I had it jacked up I'd see if those control arm bolts would come out. Broke loose real easy with a breaker bar and the impact gun spun them right out. Nohing to it. Didn't have time to actually take the control arm off today but At least i know it should go pretty smooth when i get around to it, hopefully this weekend. Just thought I'd share so people know that they're not always a PITA to get out.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Wed May 06, 2009 11:57 pm

I'm hoping mine come out just as easy, might be time to upgrade them. My car has never seen salt and I haven't seen any rust on the undercarriage so I think I'm safe.

Dylan-00Blue
2GN Member

Post by Dylan-00Blue » Thu May 07, 2009 1:11 am

mine is getting done the same time as the clutch and the rear main at a shop lol

tendle
2GN Member

Post by tendle » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:49 pm

mine were really rusted and thought i would share what i did to clean the top of them from rust build up to allow easier removal.

i drilled a hole and cut it a bit to allow for a wire brush to be put in and clean with pb blaster.

it worked out really well to clean it and made it easy to remove.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:19 pm

Looks like this is something else that will have to be looked at this year. :shock:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”