NA Magnum Build-up *read pg 9 for intake manifold update*

Have a question about how to make horsepower going the all motor route, here's where to ask it.
tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:20 pm

@ fastsrtfour: header wont really do anything without an intake, but and aem only dyno'd like 6whp so the money is obviously better spent if you buy used stuff. i got the header for $275 shipped and spent $30 on reducers... im going to get it welded tomm

@ nodestiny... i too wont make another order to howell unless they can make it up to me on this ecu... perhaps get it here? gary are you listening? its been over 2 months now...

@ Loud?
surprisingly, its really NOT loud. in fact, even though i dont have it clamped, i actually find it quiter under normal driving.... but when i jump on it... boy the redline comes at you fast, and 1st gear just tire smoke :) ive never spun the tires into second so many times without dumping the clutch!

im gonna be meineke's first customer tomorrow morning... i cant wait to get the cat welded in place so i can really jump on it without worrying about getting a ticket for excessive exhaust noise (and attracting the 5-0's attention will probably lead to reckless driving, and/or excessive speed)

phenomeneon21
2GN Member

Post by phenomeneon21 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:32 am

so what does this bring your mod list to now, motor wise? I've been trying to keep up with this and kind of follow along in your footsteps but everytime I think I'm close to catching up, you get some new part put in, haha...
2007 Subaru WRX STi

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:24 am

motor wise its:

Iceman Intake
MPx 60mm T/B
AF/X UDP
Fastfabs v.1 Longtube, ceramic coated (3" collector to a 2.5" flanged reducer, then 2.5" cat, to the stock resonator and muffler)
JLM Billet Upper MM
Prothane Race Inserts (Bottom MM)

im also running 15" wheels on the stock 185/60-15 tires... its about 3lbs lighter than running my stock 16" wheels with 205/50-15

up to 4k it kinda feels like stock but after that it just leaps at the redline, 1st gear is just spin spin spin, spin going into 2nd, and if im taking a turn in second.... spin spin spin :) oh yeah zero wheel hop either, just spin spin spin :)

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:01 pm

change of mind with exhaust. ill be going for a 2.5" straight back as soon as i get some more money

so im selling this: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?p=60381

grambo
Former Moderator

Post by grambo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:38 pm

Your gonna' need tires dude. :D
01' Neon ACR - SOLD - Its Alive!Thx Sean!
06' Subaru WRX STI - OTS Stage II
07 - Dodge Charger SRT-8 Super Bee #0267
01' Dodge Ram 5.7 - The Mall Crawler

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:04 pm

well thats the thing, i got an almost brand new set of rims/tires off of an '05 SXT so ive still got like 40k miles to go if i drive "normal" but probably only around 18-20k if i keep up the pace, and continue to autox on occasion hopefully try a few road races this upcoming year.

i have the stock 16" rims with 205/50-16 all-seasons but i only put them on once winter is way out of sight

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:36 pm

OK so as soon as you can get on it, PLEASE let me know how the longtube stacks up VS the stock short tube (as i have the stock short tube on my SXT right now). If its worth it, ill get a long tube a tru bendz 2.5".

Also: Where is your cat? Any pics on that?

Finaly: Let me know how it effects gas millage! if you could, please.
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:06 am

all right, theres a small noticeable lag in the lower rpms however it definitely makes up for it in the upper rpms. perhaps the diff would be even more noticeable for you non-magnum guys since your engine chokes over 6 grand

i dont have a cat, and i can get away without running a cat :)

unsuper man
2GN Member

Post by unsuper man » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:24 am

i ran no cat when i had my header/exhuast.

its loud, but after driving with open long tube, it wasnt THAT loud....
:lol:

Floyd
2GN Member

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:12 am

Like how loud?
I think my car is quiet with SRT rear and 31" glasspack.
I would be ok with like S3 SRT with side pipe loud ;)

Knoxville_R/T
2GN Member

Post by Knoxville_R/T » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:51 pm

you and talking about that S3 SRT with side pipes lol. must really like it? But I bought that V2 FF from srt4etr and should see it soon enough. cant wait
-Brian

Rest In Peace Brian
February 20, 1985 - August 21, 2012

2004 Black "KNEE YAWN" SRT-4
3" Maxxfab SEE, S2 WGA, Mopar BOV Plate, Fighters CAI, Samco IC Hoses, QW's DF IC, Hotchkis Sways
Soon to come:
Werks rear Strut Bar

2001 Red Neon R/T**Gone** :(

Floyd
2GN Member

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:04 pm

hehe, well i cruise with 3 SRTs that are all stage 3 and all have side pipes... im kinda the quiet one out of the bunch. :twisted:

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:09 pm

from inside the car its really no louder than it was before installing the longtube and running the stock cat - go figure?

but from the outside.... oh its beautiful! rasp like woah (in a good way) and its slightly louder.... which is exactly what i wanted. ill have to have my bro drive it sometime, i hope i dont sound like a honda :(

unsuper man
2GN Member

Post by unsuper man » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Floyd wrote:Like how loud?
I think my car is quiet with SRT rear and 31" glasspack.
I would be ok with like S3 SRT with side pipe loud ;)
open long tube, is slightly quieter then when i drove my freinds lt1 Z home open long tube, suprizingly, my car was on par noise wise with his 5.7 liter beast. i mean oviously the lt1 was louder, but i held my own in ruiening peoples ear drums.

with the exhuast on, it basiclly just put the noise out the back of the car, it was still obscencely loud, but i didnt care. then on spray, it was almost unbarable even with the exhuast on, let alone the track pass i made open header, on the juice.... :shock:
:lol:

Baal
2GN Member

Post by Baal » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:12 pm

Nice header :), no ECU yet?
Rally Neon Mod List:
2.5 direct exhaust, PVC CAI, PT clutch, Crane 14, 5point seats & harnesses, 8 point FIA roll cage, AF/X race ecu, Dropzone coilovers, Hotchkis swaybars, Crane valve springs, Autogage 5" tach shiftlite, .020" head shaving, custom long tube header, wilwood 12" Big Brake Kit.

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:08 pm

nope - thanks howell :wink: :wink:

and ofcourse i wasnt able to get an answer when i requested the status of my order... its been over 2.5 months now that i confirmed with them that they had my ecu

gary has to be reading this! this isnt slander, this is just poor service and customer service. i want my ecu and/or i want to know the status of my order... otherwise send me the ecu back and my money - i already payed for shipping back to me anyway! and seriously, i cant imagine there being be THAT big of a demand with a product lacking that much support (even if he has control of the aftermarket ecu monopoly). like seriously, what happens down the road if this ecu doesnt work when i plug it in, or doesnt work down the line? is there even a warranty on this? i know id have to pay shipping both ways but whats the time/money that will be spent on a repair, should the product fail?

rather than me buying an safc.... is it possible for them to program a 20% fuel cut at idle if i intend on popping in a crane #14 soon? i had asked this back when the just got the ecu but i never got an answer from them - what a surprise

Louie
Former Jr. Admin

Post by Louie » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:34 am

they dont do custom burns. i already asked :wink:

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:17 am

I tried to cancel my order about 3 times with Howell, each time I was denied. I finally ended up getting my credit card company to reverse the charges.

It had been about 9 weeks before I did that..

EDIT: I said 9 months initially, but it was really 9 weeks, sorry about the mixup.
Last edited by LCPLPunk on Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Neon R/T
Deyeme Motor Mounts, Booger Bushings, JohnnyMopar Cradle Bushings, SRT Silver shift knob, Maddog STS, SRT Rear Seat, K&N WAI, Magnecore Wires, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil, Coil pack heat shield
""The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone" - Harriet Beecher Stowe"

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:54 am

Wow. Definatly not ordering from howell anymore! ;) Was going to give them another chance, but obviously, howell doesnt want my money bad enough.
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:12 am

Did you try calling them? Maybe try getting some legal action going, seriously, that's messed up.

Baal
2GN Member

Post by Baal » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:46 am

stupid ecu monopoly :(
Rally Neon Mod List:
2.5 direct exhaust, PVC CAI, PT clutch, Crane 14, 5point seats & harnesses, 8 point FIA roll cage, AF/X race ecu, Dropzone coilovers, Hotchkis swaybars, Crane valve springs, Autogage 5" tach shiftlite, .020" head shaving, custom long tube header, wilwood 12" Big Brake Kit.

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:36 am

Baal wrote:stupid ecu monopoly :(
thats exactly what it is. had it not been for that they wouldnt be selling ecu's (nor would they be charging $390 :twisted: ) because theyd actually have to make an effort to get them out in a timely fashion

Baal
2GN Member

Post by Baal » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:42 pm

damn corey he should try harder to produce ecus T___T
Rally Neon Mod List:

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:17 pm

all right its passed the 3 month mark. howell still hasnt replied to my emails. i think ill give them a call tomm just to find out whats up

dawm
2GN Member

Post by dawm » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:25 pm

good luck, just ask LCLPUNK (i spelled it wrong i know) he never got his pcm, but he did get his money back (credit card) it would be nice if someone else would/could make a aftermarket pcm for us.. stupid mopar they had one for 2000 but it was un-orderable.
12 Subaru WRX hatch - #notadowngrade
04 Neon - #base2SRT #24NAprojectgoneSRT
03 Subaru Forester 2.5XS - #gfscar #butiown
06 Subaru WRX STi - #traded4hatchback12WRX #gone
98 Neon R/T 2.4L Turbo Coupe - #7yearproject #SRTified #megasquirt
http://www.st1ck3rs.com
http://www.detroitneonowners.org

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:19 pm

i payed through check and they have my core ecu :(

Baal
2GN Member

Post by Baal » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:30 pm

tamadrumr88 wrote:i payed through check and they have my core ecu :(
Post in his forums.

if for some reason my ecu doesnt work anymore i think i would go a SAFC + rpm limiter reprogramming chip, or even Stand Alone.
Rally Neon Mod List:

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:59 pm

what do you mean, what happened with the ecu???

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:00 pm

posting in the forums won't get u anywhere, he'll delete 'em.
I posted up a request to get some info on when i might receive my order and i went back onto the forums the next day and the post was gone. Thinking that maybe i hadn't posted it, i did it again. Well, once again teh post was deleted so i instant messaged him. He yelled at me for not reading the instructions on how to get information about my order. I had misunderstood the instructions because on his post he said something about using the phone for the quickest response. Since i didn't want to tie up his phone lines and since i wasn't in a hurry i figured posting up on the forums would be fine, but sure enough that was unacceptable.

The last time i called them Howell told me that the programmer was somewhere in Europe and that he wasn't ever in a concrete location, and that's why it was taking so long. He told me to just keep waiting, and by the 9th week i was fedup with that crap, so i called my credit card company and they refunded my money.

I also tried to cancel my order 2 or 3 times before i got my money refunded. The first time i told Howell i would let him keep 50 bucks for shipping and that would be teh end of the story, but he refused. The next time i tried to cancel and i told him that i had decided to go turbo and really didn't want to use the computer with my turbo. He said he still wouldn't refund it, but he said i could use the money towards one of his turbos, which i refused.

Anyways, to make a long story short, i won't order anything else from his company...
2001 Neon R/T
Deyeme Motor Mounts, Booger Bushings, JohnnyMopar Cradle Bushings, SRT Silver shift knob, Maddog STS, SRT Rear Seat, K&N WAI, Magnecore Wires, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil, Coil pack heat shield
""The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone" - Harriet Beecher Stowe"

J-Villa
2GN Veteran

Post by J-Villa » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:28 pm

isn't he in west virginia....i'd drive down there and show up in person...and if i dind't get my money back and core ecu....well let's not say what i would do...lol but i bet one quick call to your lawyer and have them call him i bet he'll send you your money and ecu back
Wanna Sell Me Your 2gn??
Official I sold my Neon Member #004

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”