2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel tank/system Weight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pimpinneon
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Fuel tank/system Weight Reply with quote

Hey guys and girls. Don't get on here as much as some of the other sites. Just have a somewhat odd question I was wondering If anyone happened to know.

I have a 2001 base model Chrysler Neon (LE) and was wondering if anyone knows the weight of the factory (plastic) fuel tank with pump, lines, and filler neck?

I am going to build this car into a low budget drag only car starting at the end of this winter, after I finish building a set of ITB's and custom stepped/ 4-2-1 header for my '97 coupe.

(The '97 coupe is my fun street/strip car, with a 2.4L, self port/polished head, Crower stage 4 cams, etc.)

Any info about the weight of the fuel system above for my 2001 before I get around to pulling it out of the car would greatly be appreciated. Just so I have an idea before hand.

Thanks in advance

thumbup

'01 Neon
ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..Not sure. Don't forget to factor in the weight of the evap system too. Some of those components are heavy.

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pimpinneon
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I forgot about the Evap system. lol. I removed it from my '97 last year.

For a mini lightweight fuel cell I plan to use a $30 (canadian) Heineken mini keg. Its a 2 in 1 deal that you can't go wrong with. You get to drink the beer, then you get a lightweight fuel cell.

Its a win win in my mind thumbup

I'm not to sure the stock weight of my car? I've researched, but not sure. Think probably around the 2600-2650lbs mark.

2001 Chrysler Neon LE (SOHC obviously, 5-speed, A/C, P/S, manual windows and locks, NO cruise, NO sunroof, NO rear spoiler, 14" steel wheels, F/R sway bars)

I made a list up of parts I can think of and I am looking to remove 600-700lbs. Hoping for the end result to be around 1900-2000lbs.

(My '97 coupe weighs in at 2220lbs at the moment. I plan to get it down to my goal of a 2100lbs street/strip car.)

'01 Neon
Barry McCockener
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car weighs 2,680 lbs from the factory. Pulling all the carpeting will drop 30 lbs or more, I did it in my car.
Canada
Chris
Junior Admin

1998 Plymouth Expresso

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1GN barely weighs 2000# good luck getting a 2GN to that weight without some serious weight removal and likely some cutting.

I would also mention, that I'm willing to bet that a mini keg won't pass tech at the track...

Donate to 2GN today! Support Your Community!
pimpinneon
2GN Registrant

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, it would in Shannonville. They don't check your car, you just pay to get in, get in line and run it down the track.

Doesn't matter anyways. Changed plans with the car anyways. Being it was my first car I couldn't bare to cut it up, so I'm building a boosted daily driver out of it.

June it should be going into the shop to start the project, when my allmotor coupe comes out Wink My 1gn coupe will be close to 2100lbs when it comes out. It was 2220lbs when I parked it.

For the 2gn weight reduction isn't that much of a concern anymore, being it will be boosted and a daily driver.

'01 Neon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: