"Teaser"

Want to show off you latest pictures that you took of your Neon or want to share a unique picture you found on the internet. Post them all here to share. Off-Topic Pictures (non-2GN related) should be placed in the Off-Topic Media board.
FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

"Teaser"

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 pm

As shown in another subforum, the car is no longer for sale.

It still has a bad head gasket, no power steering, and a bad tie rod end.

I finally yanked the front bumper and got rid of my retroes since I just don't have the patience for that much tweaking.

That being said, it's going to live again, but I'll leave that specific information to be shared by someone else if they so choose to yak about it.

Wiped off, full winter mode, rusty hood and all. One day closer to redemption.

Sorry Juan and "Jesus." :lol:

srtjesse
2GN Member

Post by srtjesse » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:44 pm

is the front bumper for sale?

2004 white dodge neon 2.4 DOHC swapped
2004 red dodge neon srt-4 gone :(
2000 flat black plymouth neon 2.0 DOHC swapped gone :(
2002 silver dodge neon parts car R.I.P
2000 green dodge neon parts car R.I.P

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Planning to drive it to Carlisle?
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 pm

No the bumper is not for sale, and if it was I'd have first dibs since he got it from me!

I'm excited about this! Can't wait to see what you have in store for it! :smile:
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

srtjesse
2GN Member

Post by srtjesse » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:16 pm

that's not what he told me last night.
Hahaha

2004 white dodge neon 2.4 DOHC swapped
2004 red dodge neon srt-4 gone :(
2000 flat black plymouth neon 2.0 DOHC swapped gone :(
2002 silver dodge neon parts car R.I.P
2000 green dodge neon parts car R.I.P

sidepipe89
n00b

Post by sidepipe89 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Is that hood for sale? It's really neat.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Haha the hood is for sale!

The bumper I can take or leave, but there aren't really any viable options coming at me so I'm fairly certain it's staying.
el. oh. el.

sxxxt
2GN Member

Post by sxxxt » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:52 pm

g3t it done so you can caravan with us this year to carlise

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:39 am

sidepipe89 wrote:Is that hood for sale? It's really neat.
:shock: :shock: You want the rusty hood ?
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:46 am

No caravan Zack, sorry. Y'all run at crazy times.
el. oh. el.

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 am

:?
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:14 am

Hush and come buy my wheels. Return to mexi status!
el. oh. el.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Re: "Teaser"

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:58 pm

BUMP!
FAC3L3SS wrote:As shown in another subforum, the car is no longer for sale.

It still has a bad head gasket, no power steering, and a bad tie rod end.

I finally yanked the front bumper and got rid of my retroes since I just don't have the patience for that much tweaking.

That being said, it's going to live again, but I'll leave that specific information to be shared by someone else if they so choose to yak about it.

Wiped off, full winter mode, rusty hood and all. One day closer to redemption.

Sorry Juan and "Jesus." :lol:

As Adam said back in January... the car will live. I've not seen the car in months so I'm not sure what exactly the damage is but from what he says it sounds like the compression might be low. His thoughts: salvage the car because it will be cheaper than a few car payments for a new car. He said he was going to look for a new motor and told me to keep my eyes out for one as well. I scoured Craigslist and came across a low mileage 02 engine and atx trans for $475. I sold off the atx to Justin (02r/tguy) to recoup some of the cost. 6000 original miles on the motor... Here's why.

The car was wrecked early in its life and it's been sitting in this old guy's yard since then. he bought it for parts. 12/22/12 I went and put a $100 deposit on the engine and trans. A few weeks later when it got above freezing and some snow melted the guy called me and I came and picked it up. At this point I got it home and started getting it prepped for a little freshening up. Adam gave me artistic license to do whatever I wanted to do with it paint-wise and just surprise him! Unfortunately, last week my iPhone 5 bricked itself due to a hardware failure... i didn't back up my pics. Luckily Adam still had most of the ones I had txted him. This means I lost all the ones that show assembly or colors as this is still a surprise to him.'

I put the engine on my stand and started ripping it apart

This all happened within a week or so of getting the motor. Progress slowed considerably after this because I needed to sand, grind, prime and paint next and the weather was awful. for months. march too. So in the meantime I found a set of Vipers listed on CL (turns out to be Leighvi on here) and Adam says he wants them and asks me to pick them up so I do.

Adam picked up a rough hammerhead that was forest green with tons of clearcoat peel and had it sent here. I took it to a local SRT owners dads body shop to have it painted silver. I'll just say they left a lot to be desired... it was done by a 5 year old it looks like. sanding gouges galore, tiger striped silver, clearcoat runs, cleat sprayed dry etc...

A mag intake that was PC'd silver was purchased from Jerry and stripped of the butterflies and new gaskets installed

When the Raceland coils came out he had a set shipped here. We found someone selling 1gn camber plates on ebay and decided to make them work

Last month it finally started warming up and I was able to start painting

This is where the pics of the painted, completed engine should be... Adam still doesn't know what any of this looks like so I won't ruin the surprise until he sees it. Oreo saw it though and she approved.

This is what Adam will see when he gets here

If you aren't on Facebook, Adam's car has come a long way since December with just a few subtle things. He finally got the SRT-D bumper painted, lip kit installed, wheel spacers and the drag dr9s reinstalled, and SRT hood back on. Here's how it looks now

Well the time has finally come for the engine transplant/transformation to take place. Adam will be driving out here after work tomorrow hopefully trouble free and should arrive around midnight. We'll put the car in the garage, get it prepped, get some sleep and hit it early friday and get going. I think he'll be happy with the choices I made so once the cat is out of the bag so to speak... expect more updates.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:34 am

15 hours more...

slaw
2GN Member

Post by slaw » Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 am

i will be patiently waiting for updates

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:43 am

Keep a fresh pair of underoos in hand!

sidepipe89
n00b

Post by sidepipe89 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Oreo approved! I like that!

Great Job!

Arro
2GN Member

Post by Arro » Thu May 23, 2013 8:22 pm

So is there really any significant loss of cooling between the SRT-4 and SRT-D bumpers? I've always preferred the look of the SRT-D bumper because it reminds me of the concept car.
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it.
- A - R - R - O - 2000 - NEON SE - // - 2003 - SRT-4 -
Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651950
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #22

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Arro wrote:So is there really any significant loss of cooling between the SRT-4 and SRT-D bumpers? I've always preferred the look of the SRT-D bumper because it reminds me of the concept car.
I highly doubt it.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu May 23, 2013 10:48 pm

Should have left the butterflies in and got a window switch you nard! Excited for Adam though!

slaw
2GN Member

Post by slaw » Fri May 24, 2013 9:37 am

my patience is wearing thin....... ME WANTZ UPDAYTES NAOW

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Fri May 24, 2013 5:18 pm

God damn that car has come a long way. I'm excited to see what the engine looks like all finished up and in the car.

ragek23
2GN Member

Post by ragek23 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:47 pm

wow, can't wait for the finished results!

2002 Neon SXT Sold
2006 EVO MR Weekend Warrior
2003 SRT 4 DD
-Kevin

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:25 am

Screw butterflies and RPM switches on stock 2.0s! :lol:

it's been a buussy weekend. Updates to come probably tomorrow/today. it's late :lol:

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon May 27, 2013 5:01 am

You also didn't post about what was wrapped up in the package next to the intake manifold!

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:28 am

A mag camshaft! But I decided to toss that in my bare mag head for when I mag swap my OB :lol:

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon May 27, 2013 11:16 am

Oh, well shit then, even better!

Boosted22sxt
2GN Member

Post by Boosted22sxt » Mon May 27, 2013 12:13 pm

what are the wheel specs and tire specs on the car?

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:58 pm

16x7 Drag DR-9s. Tires are both different sizes and i don't remember what they are. The rear wheels have 1" spacers on them.

Ok, well I finally have some updates.

Adam got here around 11 PM Thursday night and we went straight to work. First I let him "unsheath" his secret motor! :lol:

I stripped the parts down bare and painted the block and valve cover VHT Torque 'N' Teal. The valve cover got Key Lime Green, PS2 Silver, and black splatter on it too for some flashiness.

As I mentioned this was a 6000 original mile engine that came from a car that was wrecked. It had been sitting in a field basically since 2002. It was covered in dirt, however the guy did pour some oil down the spark plug tubes every year and crank the engine over by hand to make sure it didn't sieze up. Adam was basically just looking for a fresh rebuild to keep the car alive, not a wild expensive build. I kept the rebuild fairly simple with the only mod being a silver PC'd mag valve cover. The engine got a new mechanical timing belt, water pump, head gasket, oil pan gasket, upper end gasket set, spark plugs, thermostat, and we deleted the AC.

Here are a few nasty before shots of the dirty engine bay that also had plastidip over spray in it

That night we decided to swap his trunk back to his original hammerhead trunk lid which I had gotten in trade for a wingless lid when he got the car. We also peeled the rest of that purple tint off the back window and swapped in the Viper seats.

Friday morning we got to work removing the engine

By lunch time we were taking the engine out and began to degrease the nasty engine bay

We ate some sandwiches then went right back at it.

Out with the old, in with the new.

We installed a new rear main seal and we were ready to drop it in

The new heart is in!

A little bit later and it's starting to come together

All buttoned up. Yes the stock airbox is ugly, but we tried to piece together an intake and it was way more than it was worth. He's just going to buy some ebay piping and put a decent filter on it

Around midnight on Friday we attempted to start the car

After several failed attempts we admit defeat. There were no CELs but it didn't appear to be getting fuel. We decided to fiddle with the headlights since he has only had a passenger side low beam for the past 2 years after he and gtxtreme tried to hard wire in some ricer projectors with HIDs. On the way out here he lost the high beam in the same lamp... Down to only one working light we had to get this fixed. I pulled out the multimeter and check the wiring at the bulb and it wasn't getting power for the low beam, high it was. We decided to rewire the MFS since it was melted. I cut off a good pigtail from an old harness I had and started repinning it. After repinning, it still didn't work. Adam said he heard a sizzle and pop in the engine bay when the light quit working and assumed some wiring fried. We decided to try running a jumper from the fuse box to the headlight. And as I'm soldering a wire long enough Adam looks in the fuse box and says "wait. what is this fuse next to the headlight one that say "LT low beam" ... "it's for the left headlight..." I told him. He gets a look on his face as though he's in deep thought and says "I'm about to be pissed off if this is blown.........motherfucker!" :rofl: I told him numerous times over 2 years to check the fuses and he swore up and down they were good. I guess it would help if you knew that there were TWO fuses, one for each headlight :lol: Good stuff. You have to just laugh at a situation like that or you'll just get angry.

The next morning we got up and decided to try to swap out the CPS, crank sensor, plug wires, and fuel rail and injectors back to his originals. We tried starting the car again several times then it finally stumbled, started, and. ran rather poorly. We added coolant and let it get up to temp. It started to even out and sound normal. And now after bleeding the coolant system his temp gauge no longer shoots up when in traffic! I'm assuming he had an air pocket in the system before.

All back together Saturday afternoon.

We decided to take it for a drive and see how she performed...

As soon as you would press the clutch in you would get an awful ticking/chattering noise. We had replaced the TOB so I assumed it must be related. The car drove fine, shifting seemed a little harder than before though and 3rd gear was hard to find. We called it a day and again admitted defeat.

We decided Sunday we better rip the tranny back out of the car and figure out what was wrong.

Upon removal, nothing was immediately noticeably wrong.

I grabbed the clutch and the realized that the input shaft bearing/whatever it's called was moving a little bit and chattering. I'm no clutch expert but none of the clutches I've done previously made this noise. Including this one when we put it in last March. It was a used clutch Adam got from dblsg, unknown mileage.

Not seeing the point in doing a job multiple times, I suggest we just put a new clutch in it. $220 later and a trip to Pep Boys we had a new OEM replacement LUK clutch, throwout bearing, and Mobil 1 10w40 high mileage motor oil for the tranny.

So finally, Sunday evening we get it all back together and drive it again, and it's perfectly quiet, shifts great, and the car runs cool and strong! :smile: It was a busy 4 days but we got a ton of stuff knocked out, completely turned this car around and got to spend some quality bro time! There are still a few more little things that need to get done but they will be don soon enough.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Mon May 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Great work, guys! That engine looks awesome.

The only question I have.... Did Ann make the sandwiches?

Return to “Picture Post”