NGC FIC users.... question on driveability

Just install MegaSquirt or some other system that allows you to tune your car or just have a question about tuning and the options available? Feel free to ask it here.
GroceryGetter
2GN Member

NGC FIC users.... question on driveability

Post by GroceryGetter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 am

Who has used the FIC on an NGC turbo car? My question is whether or not anyone else has fought cam and crank sensor sync issues that pop up after a few days of running. It goes away after resetting the ecu. It is like the ecu sees the FIC and freaks out. Anyone else ever face this?

What were your experiences running the FIC and any issues you may have had?
NGC SOHC Plug and Play turbo ecu kit coming soon.

Boosted22sxt
2GN Member

Post by Boosted22sxt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Cam and crank sensor.... hmmm I haven't had issues like that... only problem I have is the correlation code that throws it in limp mode when I act dumb and part throttle boost while going up hills...

GroceryGetter
2GN Member

Post by GroceryGetter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:22 pm

When you PTB and it goes into limp mode, does it try to die when you let off the throttle?

Boosted22sxt
2GN Member

Post by Boosted22sxt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:05 am

No but it will act sort of funny if you drive awhile without clearing.the code.. it never died on me.... sounds like either wiring issue or in your tune.... send me a picture of the settings menu on the fic the menu that changes injector response time...

Also with the ngc you need to leave the factory upstream o2 unplugged to leave the computer in open loop... then tune from there. Do not use the 02 offset feature it won't work.

DingoR/T04
2GN Member

Post by DingoR/T04 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:15 am

I didnt realize people were starting to use the fic on NGC. You should of Pmed me if you had any questions. I've helped out a few members on here with the fic. I went through lots of trial and error with it on my 04 r/t. You do have to unhook the 02 to get control. Your problem sounds like a wiring problem or a faulty cam sensor. I replaced mine twice and rewired the fic 3 different ways before it let me do what I wanted. To bad you weren't close to pa since I do fic tuning for alot of the neon n caliber guys. Also I seen your post about the fic 1910. The 1910 is universal and runs different hex files which run like shit on a neon. The 1913 wouldn't even run on a caliber, which I run the 1910 on those cars. You need those hex files due to the picky computer and drive by wire. NGC guys think their computer is picky. Mess with a csrt computer you will see picky. Lol
08sbo caliber srt 11.87@122.41 New numbers coming soon #7 worlds fastest cali.
04 R/T Neon 14.0 @ 102mph on 12psi with street tires, n slipping clutch
2001 Cougar-3l swap, Intake, Exhaust, untuned 177whp n 180ftq. RIP

Boosted22sxt
2GN Member

Post by Boosted22sxt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:59 am

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why you didn't chime in right away... this is the guy who spent 3 hours on the phone with me. He knows his shit with the fic.....

DingoR/T04
2GN Member

Post by DingoR/T04 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:53 pm

I haven't been on 2gn lately. It's faster to pm me since I skim through with my phone.

GroceryGetter
2GN Member

Post by GroceryGetter » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:39 am

Sorry for the late response, I have not been on often.
I have not had a chance to mess with the car much aside from driving it everyday back and forth to work. The cam /crank sync issues seem fairly random and I have replaced the can sensor to no avail, but again I have not altered my tune any. I know my way around the FIC quite well, I have email tuned several 1st gen turbo Neons, both 2.0 and 2.4 with great success.
As for the oxygen sensor, I have it removed from the manifold and skewed to read 2.5V (or whatever is stoich for the NGC). This has kept the ECU minding its own business.
The biggest issue is PTB, but that is all part of the game unless I put the TPS on one of the Aux tables and adjust it to show WOT at 13psia. .... however my solution is a custom programmed SRT stage 2 ecu that will allow 8psig PTB (or closer to 6psig really with my stage 2 wastegate. ) and the FIC for fine tuning from there, as well as to scale my new 1000cc injectors for the new forged build coming up........and something more robust in the forced induction apparatus arena.

Dingo, I shall have to PM you sometime to share notes

DingoR/T04
2GN Member

Post by DingoR/T04 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Your problem with crank and cam are either wiring or you don't have it clamped correctly. The 02 map you can zero out and just adjust the fuel map for daily driving. You shouldnt be in boost for that part of the engine load. if you are then you should probably quit tuning while it still runs. As for part throttle boost, learn to not drive it like that. If you part throttle it will also throw a code for it, even though the it wasn't actually turbo from factory. The fic can't truly find tune because you can't hit each engine load cell. You will always have a lean n rich spot around each other. You need the aem standalone to truly fine tune or ms.

GroceryGetter
2GN Member

Post by GroceryGetter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:21 am

Explain how I may not have the crank or cam clamped incorrectly? I am not sure what you mean by this.

My AFR is stoich while out of boost and I keep it in the high 11's while in boost, so my o2 strategy is good. Zeroed out if you will.

When I spoke of PTB I was not talking about 25% throttle, I was referring to getting up to highway speeds without going full throttle. This boost is tolerated by the SRT ecu.

I do realize that I cannot 'fine' tune with the FIC exactly, but I can work to bring myself in to a more acceptable AFR range. I do understand the limitations of the unit.

I do appreciate the response.

DingoR/T04
2GN Member

Post by DingoR/T04 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:43 am

You should be clamping on a 0-5v reference for the map sensor. I'm pretty sure the neon was around 4.9v. If it isnt clamped high enough the stock computer usually will go into limp mode using the cam/crank code to do it. It will go up to 2200rpms then cutout. The o2 shouldn't matter what u set it at if you unplug the o2. I would put that map at zero. I didnt mean physical take it out of the manifold. The srt Ecu tolerates PTB, doesn't me you should do it. It's also designed on an engine made for boost. You should be able to get to highway speeds without boost. I'm not knocking the idea of having the computer control PTB but it seems like alot of work for something you can fix with your foot.

Return to “Tuning / MegaSquirt”