thomas_w's log

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
thomas_w
2GN Member

thomas_w's log

Post by thomas_w » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 pm

I have been working more and more on my car so I figured I should create some sort of log since we all love pictures. I hope you don't mind that it is a 1gn. First of, I am just a computer guy and thus not as mechanically inclined as most of you. But it looks like I am getting my hands dirty more often these days as the neon gets older :lol:

So I bought her in early 2003. It is a Dodge Neon 1999 DOHC. I was looking for a car that is well equipped but still affordable (to me). This was in Southern California and apparently people do not buy used cars that much. So choice was limited but I managed to buy this little gem. She already had 112k miles on her but I figured engines last pretty long these days. This is how she looked back then (sorry it is a crappy picture but the only one I found for some reason):

The car was a mess initially. The dealership I got it from did not even bother to wash it. Apparently the previous owner was a filthy pig. There were soda residue/stains and jelly beans everywhere. So I shampooed the seats and carpets and got that mostly cleaned up. I used Oxyclean on the headliner and got it pretty clean. The soda got all over the dash as well so I thoroughly cleaned all that also (I even found soda residue on the inside of the cover for the fuse box in the dash on the driver side).

The center console was really bad so I removed the storage box completely and threw it in the dishwasher. Cleaned it all out, pretty easy fix.

Once she was all cleaned up I moved on to tackling the rattling. So I "de-rattled" the glove box, the doors, the sun roof, and everything else I could find.

It always bugged me that, once I got into the car at night, it was pitch black and I could not really see anything when buckling up. So I added some interior lighting, which I hooked up together with the ignition lock light so that they turn off once the car is running:

I also updated the radio and got a car alarm installed since I wanted a remote for the car.

Not too long after I bought the car, I noticed that it leaked oil. Not to anybody's surprise, the head gasket was at fault. At the local Dodge dealership I got pretty much all the gaskets in the engine replaced. Was not cheap but well worth it considering that I am driving the car for over 10 years now.

Since then I had to get my water pump replaced (along with the timing belt again) and a new starter and alternator put in.

I took another stab at removing the remaining coke stains on the headliner on the slider for the sun roof. Unfortunately that was too much for the foam underneath the fabric. So the liner came down on that section. It looked pretty sad and trashy :shock: So that needed to be fixed. I took out the entire slider and got some fleece to glue on there using spray glue. I was not able to get the exact same color. But I think it does look pretty good:

As mentioned above, I am doing more and more myself nowadays. Not too long ago, I flushed the coolant, replaced the spark plugs, and changed my own oil (again computer guy, kind of big deal for me :) ).

I noticed that in 100+ degree weather the car would overheat and I got some gurgling noise from the coolant. So I replaced the radiator cap. Since I only had an airdam on the passenger side (no idea what happened to the other half), I figured I should do something about that as well to help with the cooling. So I built myself one made out of an aluminum angle and bolted that on after painting it black (never noticed that my bumper is so scratched up underneath :shock: ):

I then replaced my front brakes (checked the rear brakes, but they were still good). The front rotors came off pretty easily, I only had to tap it with a hammer on the passenger side, the driver's side came right off. The rotors were already worn below where they were supposed to be and one of the pads started to delaminate. So this was long overdue.

The last day at Carlisle my CEL turned on with a P0137 code. Lying underneath the car to check on the O2 sensor, I noticed that there was oil at the back of the engine. Fortunately, it was only the oil pressure sensor leaking. So I put a new one in and the leak was gone. I then went through the wiring harness to see if there was some chafing or melting. I found one cable mount dangling on the wiring harness not being attached to anything. The other cable mount was bolted to the wrong spot. There was one spot where a wire may have rubbed and a few others where it melted and needed fixing. I took care of that but still got the code. So I ordered a new O2 sensor and she is all fixed now. My wiring looks much better now and I wrapped it all up with heat-insulting fabric since I do not really want to go through that again:

Since I left greasy fingerprints at various spots I cleaned her up nicely:

I think she looks pretty good for 14 years and 187k miles.

I will try to keep this updated if anybody is interested and try to take more pictures along the way.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks for the pics- you know how much I like your car. :D Please keep us updated. :thumbup:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Norse
2GN Member

Post by Norse » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Well done, Sir! Well done!

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:17 am

Good to hear you are getting your hands dirty :thumbup:

Any future plans? (MTX swap to feel the true potential of your car?)
Jason

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> viewtopic.php?t=66496

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:07 pm

ducktapetg wrote: Any future plans? (MTX swap to feel the true potential of your car?)
I kinda like the stock appearance so far. I would not mind more power or an MTX but I am pretty sure my better half would kill me if I changed it over to an MTX :lol: Most of those things are probably beyond my skill set so I guess it will be mostly about preservation at this point. Maybe a few tweaks here and there :thumbup:

ianguilly
2GN Member

Post by ianguilly » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:45 pm

I love this car, I dont ever see stock neons this clean. Does your dome light not work? that should come on when you open the door at night.
-Neon #3 1999 Neon R/T coupe,DOHC MTX
-Neon #4 1998 Neon Alpine green coupe SOHC MTX -daily shit box

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member #110

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:55 pm

ianguilly wrote:I love this car, I dont ever see stock neons this clean. Does your dome light not work? that should come on when you open the door at night.
Thanks Ian. Yes, the dome light works fine. But as soon as I close the door it turns off. I usually get in and close the door immediately which made me sit in the dark (creature of habit). But these LED lights stay on until I start the engine just like the ignition lock light does. And it gives you a cool blue glow in the foot well :thumbup: Since you cannot really see them from where you are sitting nor through the windows they do not take away from the stock appearance.

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:03 pm

I like what u got here. this is essentially what i was looking for when i bought my 98 but i bought a lemon..... it looks damn clean i would never guess that a pig owned it the interior is clean! mine was no where that clean when i had it.... especially the engine bay. keep up the good work on it

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:23 pm

l wouldn't worry about the material on the sunroof slider looking darker- I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Besides, it could have been that the headliner just faded due to age... :wink:

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:01 pm

blueneo03 wrote:I like what u got here. this is essentially what i was looking for when i bought my 98 but i bought a lemon..... it looks damn clean i would never guess that a pig owned it the interior is clean! mine was no where that clean when i had it.... especially the engine bay. keep up the good work on it
Thanks. It took some effort to clean it but everything cleaned up eventually. I think the car spent a lot of time in the desert which is where most of the chipped paint on the bumper comes from. Maybe that kept the engine bay cleaner compared to other areas. I did clean that up not too long ago though :thumbup: But that part was not too bad to begin with.
Midnight_Rider wrote:l wouldn't worry about the material on the sunroof slider looking darker- I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Besides, it could have been that the headliner just faded due to age... :wink:
Yes, I kinda like the two-tone look myself. And I figure eventually I will have to replace the entire headliner so I can go with the same color then.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Got some fresh oil today. I went with Valvoline high-mileage oil and a Purolater synthetic filter. This time I went with the full synthetic version for the oil; I was using the synthetic blend before. With the new oil pressure sensor installed a few weeks ago I seem to have zero leaks. We'll see how that works out.

Something weird happened today before I did the oil change, though. I was driving around to warm up the engine. Stopped at Harbor Freight. When I got back into the car it started just fine. But once I got into gear and was ready to go the engine just died. I tried to start the engine again, but nothing, did not even turn. Then I turned the ignition off completely and tried again. Fired right up as if nothing happened. Strange :roll: I checked for any codes but there was nothing. I hope this was just a one-time fluke...

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:14 am

Your car was warning you about changing the type of oil! :lol: Probably not but funny to think about.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:48 am

With the warning is probably not that far off. Even though I checked the numbers I managed to grab the wrong filter. It was the same size but different threads. When I tried to put it on it would go on to the first couple of threads but then got stuck. At first I thought I cross-threaded it. But then I compared the numbers on the old and new one just to notice that I goofed up. So went back, got the correct one and that one fits like a glove as it should. So maybe the car did try to give me a heads-up :thumbup:

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:21 am

I would LOVE to have this car.. it's so hard to find a clean 1gn :(
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:22 pm

I agree. I still see a few 1gns on the road here but most of them are in bad shape. Rusty or faded paint and overall not taken care of very well. In my case it probably helped a lot that I own it for ten years. She spent the first six years in a rust-free state and the previous owner invested in some pretty good underbody coating.

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:05 pm

I just realized I need to clean my engine bay and invest in the rest of the parts to return the intake to stock. You have a beautiful car, sir.
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks Mike!

I decided this morning to replace the PCV valve since the one that was in there was probably still the original one. So I got the new one and started to get the old one out. The hoses were so brittle that they just sheared off several inches down from where the PCV valve sits. So I had to go back and get all new hoses as well which probably was not bad seeing how easily the old ones broke. (I eventually "managed" to brake the other one that connects straight to the valve cover also. I figured that makes the second trip worthwhile :lol:)

The old PCV valve still rattled when I shook it, whatever that means. So with all new hoses it is all hooked up again and seems to be working fine:

ianguilly
2GN Member

Post by ianguilly » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:57 pm

I replaced about all of those damn plastic lines on my red coupe since i had the same problem. Best $20 spent on that engine bay.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Yes, I already noticed that the breather tube is not looking that great so I will have to start replacing more hoses.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:12 pm

I'll have to try to remember to sort through my stuff from before my 2.4 swap.

I should have the Mopar line from the IM to the PVC valve. I bought it new from the dealer. (Yes, it is still available) If you want it, it's yours. Let me see if I can find it first tho.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:11 pm

I'm sure that you car is breathing much easier now. :D

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:04 am

occasional demons wrote: I should have the Mopar line from the IM to the PVC valve. I bought it new from the dealer. (Yes, it is still available) If you want it, it's yours. Let me see if I can find it first tho.
Thanks Bill, appreciate that. Would make it stock again. I just ordered a new breather hose from the dealer. It was actually less expensive than what I found online. But it takes four days to get here.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:56 pm

I was getting tired of watching the chrome peeling off of the letters on the badges. So I plasti-dipped it to see how it looks. I have it on for a few days now and so far I like it. It also gives it a layer of protection and of course is fully reversible at any time:

Car is still pretty shiny since our Dayton meet :)

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:00 pm

Let me guess- Ian pointed out how my badges are peeling so you got the itch to do something about yours. :lol:

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:Let me guess- Ian pointed out how my badges are peeling so you got the itch to do something about yours. :lol:
Something like that :D He pointed out that he got the last ones for his 1gn; so seeing that I won't be able to get replacements this was the next best thing :lol:

ianguilly
2GN Member

Post by ianguilly » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:26 am

Shouldve just use chrome spray paint :)

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:15 pm

^^Says the person with the last new badge. :lol:

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:13 pm

ianguilly wrote:Shouldve just use chrome spray paint :)
Yes, but with the trim pieces all being black I wanted to try out how it looks with black badges. And plasti-dipping is pretty easy to do. They actually have these metallic plasti-dip colors now also.With plasti-dip I can always go back if I change my mind. And I did not have to worry about messing it up. As a matter of fact, I did it three times until it came out right :lol:

ianguilly
2GN Member

Post by ianguilly » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:03 pm

I never checked about the sports emblems, just "dodge" . R/t emblems are retarded expensive, otherwise i'd have those too.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:00 am

ianguilly wrote:I never checked about the sports emblems, just "dodge" . R/t emblems are retarded expensive, otherwise i'd have those too.
Maybe I need to start looking then. The "dodge" emblem was still fine. The only ones that were peeling were the "neon" emblem in the back and the "sport" emblem on the passenger side.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”