PCM pin out breakdown pics?

Just install MegaSquirt or some other system that allows you to tune your car or just have a question about tuning and the options available? Feel free to ask it here.
akirony
2GN Member

PCM pin out breakdown pics?

Post by akirony » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:33 pm

Like the title asks, does anyone have pics of a pcm connector breakdown? I'm wanting to do dedicated :quotes: mtv-pcm wiring but trying to avoid breaking connectors just yet. I figured I'd ask because I don't think I'm searching with the right words. I know I've seen a couple of pictures before but that was a long time ago. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Have car-have car problems. Have srt4-have speed problems

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:47 pm

The pics are dead but there's an old thread with all the differences brr posted

viewtopic.php?t=5779
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:25 pm

Basically you need to add a pin socket to C2 pin 16. The connector should have the pin numbers cast on it, at least enough to tell you what pins are where.

You would have to get a PCM connector to rob the pin sockets from tho. Just run that wire to a relay, and the MTV should work via the PCM.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:41 am

occasional demons wrote:Basically you need to add a pin socket to C2 pin 16. The connector should have the pin numbers cast on it, at least enough to tell you what pins are where.

You would have to get a PCM connector to rob the pin sockets from tho. Just run that wire to a relay, and the MTV should work via the PCM.
Yeah OD I've read alot of posts where you've given advice and I've compiled that together. Thanks gtxtreme19 I actually found those pictures for the pin-outs. I just want to know how to actually open up the connector. Also this may sway my decision but does the RT pcm still change timing if it doesn't see the MTV?(code P0660) Seeing how most people just window switches.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:33 am

I would say it doesn't affect the tune. At least my '02 R/T PCM seems to run fine with the relay missing. Even without the Magnum IM it seems to kick at 4900 rpm like it was there.

But then we are talking SBEC vs NGC. All it is doing is checking that the relay coil is good, it has no way to actually know if the MTV is really working.

But whether or not it influences the tune based on the relay coil feedback, IDK. I have never pinned the connector to actually wire a relay, as I don't have the IM mounted.

It does add a chunk of weight to the car, and IDK if the power difference over my ghetto blaster will exceed the weight difference.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:46 am

Yeah that's just what I was trying to figure out. I just dynoed my car Sat and got numbers that didn't seem quite right. I have my MTV setup to a WOT switch on the TB but my pedal is a little funny where I don't think the 2ndaries opened at all when the guy dynoed (working on mtv indicator now). I only got 3 runs and I completely forgot about it til I got my chart where it fell off after 5400rpm. Was thinking the code was the issue with the PCM not sensing the MTV relay. Just dont really know anything about the R/T programming to start splicing wiring harnesses.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:09 am

I haven't seen a good enough pic of an NGC connector to know exactly how they come apart, but most times a small (Jeweler's) screw driver will do it.

Usually tabs to get the outer cover off, then a locking piece that retains the pins, or in this case, sockets. The sockets will then pull out, or one can be added, and the locking piece put back, and the outer cover.

There may be a tab that holds each one in, the the lock prevents from being released. But just adding the socket, it will click into place, and lock it down, no need to remove anything, so that much should be easier than having to swap pins, like a 1gn 2.4 swap.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Ok I hope I dont get in trouble for posting from the org. But I think I found what I was looking for close to the bottom. http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=383132
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345940

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:55 pm

I hope not, I do it all the time. :lol:

Those are 1gn/SBEC 2gn style connectors, but you get the idea. It has to be similar.

I couldn't find any good NGC connector images on the web either. The '04 FSM just has generic pics.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

akirony
2GN Member

Post by akirony » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:59 am

They take every 04-05 pcm in the j/y but always leave the harnesses. I should get lucky and just break them all open and take the pins out. They never take the 03 pcms though lol.

akirony
2GN Member

NGC PCM Connector Breakdown

Post by akirony » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:34 pm

I hope this helps any ngc guys. Its pretty simple to open but those clips on the back piece always seem to break. I didn't have to remove the light blue rubber. I just slide the pin through its back into the correct slot, then locked the connector. Works like a charm. I'm pretty sure I got it in the right slot. I hear my butterflies open as soon as the ignition goes on. Feels way better letting the pcm do the work. I have more pics on my flickr: akirony.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20323681@N02/12752146194/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20323681@N02/12752189374/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20323681@N02/12752294054/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20323681@N02/12751765495/

Return to “Tuning / MegaSquirt”