Total noob swap help

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
Wesman2707
n00b

Total noob swap help

Post by Wesman2707 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 am

Sorry if this has been covered guys, and if it has just let me know and I will do my best to find the threads. I am in the preliminary stages of determining if this swap is a good idea/ right for me. This would be my first swap so I would definitely be a total noob and I figured I would turn to you guys for help. I have a 2005 SXT, and my main question is: would this be a pretty straight forward ordeal? And what major issues might I run into? My best bet would be to find a rear or possibly side collision SRT and use that as my donor car correct?

I got this list from the sticky:
Engine and Tranny (duh)
Complete Engine Wiring Harness
Complete Engine Bay Wiring Harness
Power Steering Pump, lines, and cooler
Clutch master and slave cylinder
Clutch/Brake Pedal assembly
Intercooler Piping
Intercooler
Radiator Hoses
Lower Motor Mounts (the hole in the lower mount is larger for larger bolts)
SRT PCM (wont' need the bracket if swapping into an 03+)
Axles (and half shaft if it isn't on the engine)
Coolant Bottle
Fuel Line from tank to engine bay
Fuel Pump
Flex Fuel line from solid fuel line to fuel rail
Short evap hose that comes from the purge valve
All vacuum lines and the 3 selonids
o2 Sensors
Turbo Housing + o2 Housing
Lower Control Arms (they're stronger yet the same in shape)

So would I still need all these parts and will all this pretty much drop in (relatively speaking)? This is just the beginning folks and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions and I look forward to being a part of this forum! Thanks!

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Re: Total noob swap help

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:25 am

Wesman2707 wrote: My best bet would be to find a rear or possibly side collision SRT and use that as my donor car correct
This. You already have an 05 so if you find a donor car, it's all plug and play and pretty straightforward. I got a complete donor for $1500 with a blown motor. Rebuilt it myself and used all the mechanicals to swap into my neon I was swapping and then I basically had an SRT-4 without the matching VIN or front bumper and sideskirts, then I was able to use the interior and body panels for my daily driver and sold off the exhaust, wheels, sunroof and a few other things to recoup some cash. Having a donor is so much easier than piecing it all together...

Wesman2707
n00b

Post by Wesman2707 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:39 pm

So I would still need everything from this list to make it work? Including the axles? The reason I ask is because I've had some difficulty finding a rear collision car, Ive seen some where the damage is more to the front quarter panel and seems as if the engine and intercooler are fine.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:13 pm

If you are using the T850 MTX, yes, you need the axles.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Motor Swap”