2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muffler relocation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbl3
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Muffler relocation Reply with quote

After some research, I can't find a clear answer for this. On my 2003 SE ATX, is it possible to fit a chambered muffler anywhere besides stock? I don't have the money to replace the whole system right now, which would eliminate the bottleneck. Other than straight through mufflers or resonators, could I fit the muffler where the bottleneck starts or will I have better luck just saving and replacing the whole thing? Thanks!
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't much room under there for a larger muffler other than the oem location. Maybe if you used something on the smaller side, but it still may hit the floor pan and rattle.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
INVUJerry
UNO MOD!
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to get rid of the bottle neck is to cut it there and redo it. Bad part is most shops can't mandrel bend parts so they'll end up crush bent.

Cheapest way will be to get a new catback. You can get an eBay kit or get a trubendz kit that requires some welding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151085727662

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-7/00-dsh-06-DODGE-NEON-EXHAUST/Detail

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ragek23
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty happy with the mandrelexhaustsystems brand.

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=21851&start=150

I would suggest using a large glasspack instead of the moroso spiral flow i used to quite the sound up.

2002 Neon SXT Sold
2006 EVO MR Weekend Warrior
2003 SRT 4 DD
-Kevin

pbl3
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INVUJerry wrote:
Best way to get rid of the bottle neck is to cut it there and redo it. Bad part is most shops can't mandrel bend parts so they'll end up crush bent.

Cheapest way will be to get a new catback. You can get an eBay kit or get a trubendz kit that requires some welding.

Should I go for 2.5" diameter or stick to 2.25" piping? I plan on replacing the muffler with a Dynomax VT, getting a comp 200 and probably heads, along with finishing my intake (only have a DIY CAI right now), in no particular order.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.25" will suffice for even a Magnum head with the Comp 200. Probably even the 400...

If you get into the 7000 plus rpm range, then you might want to consider 2.5". But a Comp 200 is going to die out before that, not to mention the rev limit is going to keep it at 6750.

Otherwise, the engine is just going to be pushing against the extra air mass at most of it's useful rpm.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Naturally Aspirated All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: