2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clunking noise when turning the wheel slightly left or right

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Clunking noise when turning the wheel slightly left or right Reply with quote

As title states, when I turn the steering wheel slightly to the left and right quickly, there is a clunking noise coming from what sounds like the steering rack. I jacked the car up and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Both wheels moved back and forth like they should.

Last spring I replaced the outer tie rods, so maybe the inners are bad?

Any thoughts to what else it could be?

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
Neon4Life
Manny
2009 Silver Contributor

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your lca bushings. Last summer I had a problem where my 1 year old prothane bushings made a clunking noise. Swapped with new ones and it went away.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just got some new design moog bushings in today. I am not sure that that is the issue though. I had the front of the car jacked up and it still made the noise. I am hoping it isn't a sign of the steering rack going bad. If it is, I just looked at a 2015 Mazda3 and it was freaking nice...

2001 r/t
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to "bump" this up, I noticed that when I turn my wheel slightly and quickly to the right is when the noise happens. It does not do it turning left. In my mind, if the rack was bad, it would do it both ways so I am going to order new inner tie rods and hope this solves the problem. While there, I will be replacing ball joints and control arm bushings and (hopefully) struts so hopefully the cars feels good again.

2001 r/t
fixit
2GN Registrant

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likely its the rear lca bushing..
when i disassembled mine it was clearly worn, but didn't show any external signs of wear -- even prying on it it wouldn't budge..

i used the moog problem solver solid spherical bushing.. great product
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: