2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HID Projector Retrofit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshenanagins
n00b

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: HID Projector Retrofit Reply with quote

Just completed this retro with stock halogen housings and the BiXenon Morimoto H1 mini projectors from TRS. I love the simplicity of the look and the bixenon setup with just the single projector. It has a nice "stock" look to it. Ill get some action shots soon I have to aim them tonight. Rock ON by the way how do you add pictures from your phone????[/img]
ckrock946
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use another hosting sight like photobucket... upload them there and copy the img link into your post

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #141
bshenanagins
n00b

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

I know I originally posted this over a year ago but better late than never. I ran into a few hiccups with the install, specifically getting them aimed right. The biggest problem was the inability to increase the height of the reflector due to restriction of the reflector bowls movement within the housing. The reflector needed to move higher in order to accommodate the more refined cutoff of the projector. I'll provide some visual detail tomorrow but this is the finished product I promised. This is a 2000-2002 retrofit.
http://s1352.photobucket.com/user/bshenanagins/media/IMG_1603_zpspvodpnaj.jpg.html?filters[user]=133119772&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
http://rs1352.pbsrc.com/albums/q650/bshenanagins/IMG_1602_zpstz8xsy1u.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
bshenanagins
n00b

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so as I mentioned earlier, the issue with using the reflector toe as the base for the projector caused some problems with aiming. The reflector bowl would not aim high enough due to the limited movement allowed within the housing. I decided to reopen the lights and see where exactly it was getting caught. The very top of the bowl there is the diffuser bowl the shields the halogen bulb, I pulled that out when I originally built these but the base was still present and was hindering further movement. The solution was to sand it down as much as possible, as well as the rim of the reflector bowl to allow more movement so the projector could be aimed higher. Attached are before and after of where I sanded. The projector now aims properly and will be installed again tomorrow for the final install. I'll have action photos as well.

ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Those look like mine! I also noticed that the left right adjustment wasn't enough according to TRS site for aiming the lights. I love them except my radio reception is static when the lights are on.

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
bshenanagins
n00b

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow yours look great! I have searched all over and your the only other 2000-02 retrofit I've seen thus far. How did you combat the aiming issues?? I kind of wish I made a bracket instead of relying on the reflector bowl.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducktapetg wrote:
I love them except my radio reception is static when the lights are on.

Have you tried a capacitor on the ballast(s) (+) feed?

Assuming you are using a relay to switch the ballasts...

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
bshenanagins
n00b

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the interference when they first start up but it goes away once the ballast has warmed up.
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly haven't looked into it. I don't use the radio very much. Yeah, it is wired up with a relay. I think it has something to do with where I mounted the ballast.

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Exterior All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: