2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling under acceleration. Help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Pulling under acceleration. Help please Reply with quote

I have a 2002 ES. It is having issues with the steering/suspension and I can't figure it out.

When ever I accelerate, the car pulls to the left. Also, it seems that if I have the steering wheel going straight, the wheels like to wander to let left.

I recently had 4 new tires put on with an alignment and it made no difference. I put prothane bushings in the front control arms shortly after I got this gem a couple years ago. I was just under the car last night and I cannot see any issues unless I'm not looking in the right place.

I'm wondering if there is a couple bad teeth on the steering rack but I'm not sure and don't want to go through changing it if there are other options.

Can someone help me figure out what is going on?

If I'm vague and you need more info, I would be glad to provide it.

Thanks!!
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is unusual.
Torque steer with an open diff, should cause the car to want to step to the right ??? Think

You mentioned replacing the LCA's previously.
Are they still in good shape ?? Sometimes, the metal 'sleeves' that go inside the bushings, will swell up with corrosion... pushing out the polyurethane bushing, resulting in slop, etc. (Based on a couple of posts/threads that I have read)

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it is bizarre. It also feels like the car is hydro-plaining at times. It is even worse when I'm driving up a hill that curves.

I will know more tomorrow. I finally have time to jack it back up and I picked up a steering rack.

Whether it is the power steering rack or not, I will find out tomorrow and get back to this forum post.

Thanks!
Hazardsneon
Master of TCB
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I found out that the passenger outer tie rod was going out. So that got replaced.

Everything seemed really solid in the steering after that so we didn't change out the steering rack. That puppy is going back to the store.

I am really questioning the control arm bushings though. They didn't look very good and I will be ordering a new set.
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazardsneon wrote:
So... I found out that the passenger outer tie rod was going out. So that got replaced.

I am really questioning the control arm bushings though. They didn't look very good and I will be ordering a new set.

Between the two -- Yes, I bet that could do it.
Looks like you are well on your way to solving the problems for good. Smile

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: