2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to me, NYG sport coupe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: New to me, NYG sport coupe Reply with quote

Last weekend I picked up a '95 Nitro Yellow Green Plymouth Sport Coupe. the car is a SOHC ATX and has had 2 owners before me with one being Eddie Savage who owned it up until last year or so. He then sold it to a friend whose daughter needed a car. She is going to college and needs a bigger car now. The car was located in Massachusetts and I didn't have the time to go look at the car or anyone up there to look over it and I've wanted an NYG for many years so I bought it on the pictures that I saw alone.

I had the car transported to PA by a friend of the seller which ended up saving me the hassle of trying to drive there and back with two cars and paying for gas and tolls. There ended up being quite a bit of rust/rot under the car which I didn't know about that I'm not too happy about, but otherwise there is some rust on the driver's side rocker panel, A pillar, passenger door under the mirror, leading edge of hood, a few spots of surface rust overall and some small dents on the roof. Overall the body is very straight with no signs of damage. The paint is faded as expected and has some clear coat peel on the hood, driver's fender and a few misc spots. The interior is in very nice condition for the age of the car with the exception of only small signs of wear on a few parts. I got 5 sport wheels and tires, 4 snow tires and 2 extra steelies with the car as well as a complete set of BNIB mopar molded mudflaps (they do not say neon on them). The car recently got a Ractive muffler installed on it which apparently has been sitting new in box since 97. I'm guessing based on looking at the car it was done because the stock muffler was rotted out. The stock hangers for the muffler seem to be gone and were replaced with some straps. It's not the best looking muffler but it's quiet and new so it will do for now. I'd prefer to get a mag muffler on there but I won't until I can address the hanger issue.

As of right now I don't have any firm plans for the car but I need to address the rust problems first before I can think about any mods. I also need to fix whatever is leaking oil all over my brand new driveway. Overall I'm happy with the car as it's about what I'd expect for a 20 year old car that came from the new england area. Hopefully i'll have it for a while and will get to get it back into nice shape. I'll probably end up doing a 2.4 swap in it one of these days as well and maybe MTX swap as well. This is my first 1gn so I'm eager to branch out and see what I can do with it. So far all I have done is remove the tail light covers and put some silverstones on it that I had. Here's a few pictures...

Jenni
aka Legoman
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4
ICQ Status:

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice. but needs some love.
i don't know why but somehow I like the tail light covers...

Click here to see all my modifications
for sale: UNIQUE 10.2" in dash tft screen radio bezel
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they remind me too much of 94-95 Mustang tail lights

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sayin' ... Both coupes I've owned had this exact same rust spot. The '99 was in much better shape than the '96, and yet there it was.

Better to check it out now, while you are addressing the other issues.

I'm sure you have seen the rest from my PL.

I find it best to take one day at a time. Otherwise you might just say "Fukitol"! Laughing

Best of luck. With the car, and an understanding woman...

Edit: Oh yeah, pull all those metal floor plugs out too, they will rot out the rest of the floorpan.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Bill Laughing i'll have to check the floor pan too.
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn that Honda cancer- it seems to spread to Neons sometimes. Such a nice car to have an issue like rust- sure hope that it can be fixed. thumbup
DylWrightSRT
boost enthusiast
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh ive been telling my girl how bad I wanted one of these for years!!!!! enjoy it have fun with it hope for the best on the project part of it! Cant wait to see more!

Thinking about an SRT swap sometime? or boost at all?

Oh yeah and P.S. Those silverstones look amazing on that thing, found my new first gen setup lol! thanks.
ianguilly
Coupe Lover
2GN Registrant

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear main sealed leak possibly? I had that issue with my nyg for the short time I had it.

-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T coupe,DOHC MTX DD "Christine X2"

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member #110
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYG's seem to be in the roughest shape, but being of the oldest vintage doesn't always help.

That and unless an original owner that actually wanted that color kept it, they probably weren't always loved, just used until something "better " came along.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered doing a PT GT atx swap because I ended up buying an automatic Avenger R/T (only way its offered) because my commute is terrible and I was getting tired of driving a big turbo srt to work. The stiff clutch in traffic and the 93 octane were getting old. I THINK a PT GT or maybe its just the non GT turbo will run on 87 so that may be an option. I'd like an auto so the girl can drive it and i won't hate it in traffic but we'll see. I have a stage 3 with toys swap already so not sure if I want to do another turbo or stay n/a.

Ian it very well may be the rear main seal. I haven't even gotten under the car to look yet
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I can see a boosted application running on 87 is if it is factory PCM controlled, and said factory PCM can/will pull timing and boost as needed to keep it out of detonation. Basically like the R/T PCM's.

I don't know enough about the boosted PT's to say one way or the other there. The 1980's Turbo I cars all needed premium, making only 145 HP, but PCM technology has also advanced a bit since then.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Picture Post All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: