2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brake travels to floor with air leak sound coming from pedal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: brake travels to floor with air leak sound coming from pedal Reply with quote

i replaced the wheel cylinder on my driverside drum cause the rubber seal had a punture on one side and bled the rear brakes. turn the car on and started her up ( still no name for her yet) and the brakes pedal just went its merry little way to the floor with and sound kinda like air escaping. i think my car was say screw you youll never fix me in its own language. and ideas? i was thinking the vacuum powere brake booster but ijdk. everytime ive been getting in there and trying to fix it i lose to her. if i hold the brake pedal up with my foot she drives fine but i move my size 12 and she goes back down to the floor. i cant figure out why my baby keeps dropping it like its hot. btw she is a 2000 dodge neon es with sunroof and cruise control.

rob

p.s. i know i gots the issues. i worked hard for them.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying the pedal drops to the floor on it's own?

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep

Rob
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pulling the vacuum line from the booster and cap it, or with the engine off.

If the brakes seem normal without vacuum, or the engine off, it is new vacuum booster time.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You the on that goes to the intake? If so I plugged it and the brakes stay stiff but no work. It seems like the pedal is hard to press. Really hard. Almost impossible. Btw I have more problems with her but I will post them in the appropriate categories.
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You the on that goes to the intake? If so I plugged it and the brakes stay stiff but no work. It seems like the pedal is hard to press. Really hard. Almost impossible. Btw I have more problems with her but I will post them in the appropriate categories.
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that's one way to get the post count up! Laughing

The brakes being hard to push without vacuum is normal.

I am betting the diaphragm in the booster is shot, thus the hissing sound.

Did the hissing sound go away when you capped off the vacuum line to the booster?

I would have just pulled the line at the booster, but don't pull the fitting out of the booster, just the big line from that fitting. If there isn't vacuum at that end, you have a leak somewhere in that line.

You may want to pull it with the engine off, and use a bolt to plug it/remove to check for good vacuum. The engine speed should change with the vacuum leaking, possibly even surge on/off. Don't leave it wide open, just enough to see if there is vacuum there.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea it has a vacuum, I tested it on my pet cat Korina. She agreed then ran back in the house. So I checked at a local junkyard and they have a booster and master cylinder for 65 bucks with a one year warranty. I'm picking it up this Saturday cause that and Sunday is my days off. I work 13 hours a day driving a truck. Apparently dodge melons are about as common as sales at big lots down here. Oh and I went ahead and changed the oil to royal purple with a k and n oil filter. She sounds a little better now.
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well finally changed the booster. Oreillys had the new one and junkyard apparently closes now on saturday. I could tell immediatly without bleeding the brakes that the problem was fixed. Thank you demons. You not only helped with first problem i was able to have posted but helped my red baby too. She stops alot better now too. Btw it was just a brake best part but managed to replace it without removing master cylinder (3 lines were still attached.
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of the brakes workin i also got the tail lamps and dash lights to work! i forgot the fist lesson in electrical problems i learned while getting my automotive technology associates in college. I didnt have a fuse in the panel.......... now my wife and cat believe i need a brain transplant. slap
Snickers412
n00b

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I don't know if this would be under the same category but I noticed a couple days ago when I press in my brakes it kicks back at me..what would be the cause of this and how do I fix it?
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dies it sink or just kick back, might just be master cylinder
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would agree, not sure what else would cause a kick back.

robertwilk1991, glad you got the car fixed!

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Snickers412
n00b

Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertwilk1991 wrote:
Dies it sink or just kick back, might just be master cylinder

It kicks back at me when I press on the brakes
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it only does it when there is vacuum at the booster (engine running/shortly after the engine is off) then It has to be the booster. When the vacuum has bled off, the booster should have zero effect.
If this is moving vs sitting still, that it happens, it might be a warped rotor or drum.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #18   PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like when it's running because. The fluid couldn't move or cause a "kick" with the engine off
Snickers412
n00b

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is when it's running, drove it home last night from work and the rear brakes decided to lock up. I ended up getting it home and checking it out. Hardware failure shoes were destroyed and springs overstretched some broken. Replaced shoes, and hardware today took it for a spin down the street and hit my brakes to the floor no stop. The passanger side rear wheel cylinder is now broken...can I get a break 😂
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May as well replace both rear wheel cylinders, and brake hoses while you are at it.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #21   PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is inspect the brakes. Sounds like you needed to bleed the system, adjust the slack adjuster in inspect the full rear system with the drums off, and possibly adjust the parking brake. Am I missing anything?
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #22   PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its been a while but is there any updates on this post?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: