And so it begins...

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

And so it begins...

Post by occasional demons » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:34 pm

Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Re: And so it begins...

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:56 pm

The problem is no US companies making the parts that Element needs, not the tariffs on China.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:49 pm

That's kind of a chicken and egg argument, really.

You can't pull the rug out from under so many industries without having a backup plan in place. Asking the US to invent parts overnight to fill massive voids, is unreasonable. Even if these tariffs expand US manufacturing in the long run, it's going to screw over hundreds of companies in the meantime, and screw over consumers for good. American manufacturing costs a lot more than foreign (for good reason) and it's going to take years to fill up the holes left from these dying companies. For now, a lot of Americans are going to lose their jobs and all Americans are going to pay more for their goods.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:10 pm

And what is the point of tariffs on TV's, when there are virtually no US manufacturers to protect?

Element was not a manufacturer, only an assembler. They were doing well enough without the tariffs that they weren't closing their doors. Now suddenly they've had to toss in the towel due the supplies being taxed at 25%. It isn't so great things got flipped on them is it?

I was looking at purchasing a new TV, but if I have to pay 25% more, well, probably not. How does that help american businesses that sell TV's?

Was looking at getting a steel roof put on the house. 25% more, not likely.

American steel and aluminum manufacturers cannot even come close to supplying all of our needs, so all it will do, for well beyond the current administration's term, is hurt the consumers and smaller businesses that cannot absorb the increases. Not many weathered 2008 too well, and that only lasted a year and a half or so. We'll see in 4 years what's left...

Like said, poor planning with no real vision for sustaining the short term. With no short term plan, the long term doesn't stand a chance. You have to make it to the long term first.

Let's throw away our car, and try to make it that last 10,000 miles on our bicycle, or horse and buggy.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:51 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-apos-li ... 07865.html

Glad I don't do business with AT&T...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:47 pm

One of the reasons why I hate the legal monopoly that AT&T has in my neighborhood for ISP. They have been outsourcing for years. Plus, their actions here have nothing to do with tariffs.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:18 am

Tariffs are just taxes with a different name.

They are still benefiting bigly from tax reform, and sticking it to the taxpayers/U.S.

The $1000 bonuses were already negotiated before the tax break was in effect, otherwise the employees probably would have been shafted out of that too.

The point is, that large corporations are doing what they want, regardless of what Trump does, and are throwing it in his face. Thanks for the 20 billion, and fuck you.

Didn't stop my company from becoming a foreign entity... Probably won't stop them from raiding our tech, and using it in Canada and overseas after they close our doors.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:23 am

Speaking of tariffs on imports, if the current administration had any balls, they would slap a 25% increase on imported oil.

What's the difference?

Besides he knows he probably wouldn't last a week before he was feeding the worms.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:21 am

September 6, 2018

RE: Tariffs/Surcharges

Dear Valued Customer:

We appreciate your loyalty as an S. G. Morris Co., LLC customer. As you may know, there are current and impending tariffs which will directly affect prices for certain goods such as electric motors and products containing steel and aluminum.

The following tariffs have been implemented so far:
• Section 232 (steel mill 25%, aluminum articles 10%, for all countries of origin except Argentina, Australia, Brazil and South Korea)

• Section 301 (restrictions on products from China)

As a result, effective immediately there may be price increases for certain parts or components that we provide to you based on the tariff in effect at the time of shipment. In the event the tariffs are reduced or removed, the prices will be adjusted accordingly.

We appreciate your understanding of what we hope will be a short-lived situation.

Sincerely,

George Blind

George Blind
Vice President and General Manager
S. G. Morris Co., LLC
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 am

America first! Oh, wait...never mind.

Anyone else see this coming a mile away?
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:54 am

And is it the president's fault that some US companies are increasing prices on domestically produced goods that aren't using imported raw materials? Nope, just a good reason to jack up prices.

If the tariffs are creating such a shortage of aluminum, it certainly wouldn't explain the large number of empty soda and beer cans that I pick up every day due to hating litter. Apparently, we can just afford to toss stuff out the window- who needs to go to the trouble of recycling?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:33 am

Beer cans are tossed to avoid an open container charge.

Soda cans, there's no excuse, not that driving while intoxicated is excusable either, but that's why you'll find more beer cans on the average beside the road than soda.

Beer cans is about all that's tossed into our yard.

It would be nice if technology cops could set up a traffic cam to photo people tossing trash. Might not be able to prove DUI, but could still nail them for open container...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:08 am

Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 am

Nothing to do with the President. GM has been producing product that consumers don't want to buy.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 am
Nothing to do with the President. GM has been producing product that consumers don't want to buy.
:withstupid: Truth, plainly spoken :(
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:11 pm

Just at the end of the press conference, the president himself weighed in on Twitter to discuss the GM layoffs, and suggested that the company may see its subsidies for electric car production revoked. White House officials had indicated during the press conference that punishments may come for the auto maker over its thousands of layoffs
So that'll help workers get their jobs back.

GM is gearing for total electric production. Let's cripple them. =D>
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:02 pm

These tariffs are really helping Americans.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Yep, I get tariffs on things that are made here, but on stuff that will never be made here, it makes zero sense.

No one is going to put up the capitol to buy the land, renovate or build a manufacturing facility, to make some of these things.

If Trump really cared about american jobs, why haven't we heard about him and his family moving production of their clothing lines, etc to the States? Notice I didn't say "back" to the States, because he never considered american workers to begin with.

But he has no problem making threats to true american companies. Put your money where your mouth is, or STFU!
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:12 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Just at the end of the press conference, the president himself weighed in on Twitter to discuss the GM layoffs, and suggested that the company may see its subsidies for electric car production revoked.
White House officials had indicated during the press conference that punishments may come for the auto maker over its thousands of layoffs
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/11/27/gm ... -vehicles/
05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:23 pm

theColonel wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:12 pm
occasional demons wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Just at the end of the press conference, the president himself weighed in on Twitter to discuss the GM layoffs, and suggested that the company may see its subsidies for electric car production revoked.
White House officials had indicated during the press conference that punishments may come for the auto maker over its thousands of layoffs
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/11/27/gm ... -vehicles/
cleantechnica wrote:the company specifically points out that it expects to double electric and autonomous vehicle resources in the next two years, that it will prioritize future vehicle investments in its next-generation battery-electric architectures, and most interesting of all to me, that it is going to combine its vehicle and propulsion engineering teams.

These statements, along with the market forces shaping sedans right now and the writing that is on the wall for companies that don’t develop compelling electric vehicles that can turn a profit, says to me that GM is going all in on electric tech.

Probably a huge long term mistake, unless they can come up with something other than Lithium in the batteries. There isn't enough of it on earth to replace every fossil fuel car currently in use. What are they going to do when the supply runs out?

Electric motors are awesome for output, but only if you have a sustainable way to "fuel" them.

I never said I was a fan of GM, or electric plug-in's. But for a President to dictate how business run their business model will only get him the middle finger. Considering American companies outsourced over EPA regulations, taxes, and labor costs, now to have a dictator tell them how they have to run their business, it will be no sweat to do business elsewhere. GM has enough of a global market they can relocate their HQ to another willing country. They may not make as much, but they would still survive. And there would be huge losses of tax revenues.

But too bad for twitter brain, he needs Congress's approval to remove subsidies. Bummer.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:30 pm

Train is coming off the rails...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:43 pm

deleted :redx:
Last edited by theColonel on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
05 Dodge SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:24 am

Man, if I have to spell it out...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Off-Topic”