2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
debake
Delmerico
n00b

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Engine help! Reply with quote

Hello everyone, my car has been acting up recently. the problem is when i start the car it will not let me rev past 2000 rpm until it warms up. Also it gradually lets me rev higher as the car warms up i.e 2300 when it is right above the blue cold bar on the temp gauge.

Here is a little maintenance of what i have done thus far...

-New plugs (ngk v-power)
-New oem coil pack
-New wires (Rock auto)
-New intake manifold gaskets (autozone oem replacement)
-New cam position sensor- mopar (went through six autozone ones and kept getting the P0344 code and finally coughed up the money for the good one)
-New crank position sensor- autozone (what i am thinking the problem is)
-O2 sensor (Rock auto)

As an extra side note I also have a cat back dual exhaust setup from SRS that sounds pretty good and makes me smile on bad days! javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

Again if anyone has had this problem before or knows a fix please let me know!

Thanks,
Chris
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost sounds like your car is going into 'limp mode'.... But if that's what it is, it is strange that it goes out of 'limp mode' (????) after the car warms up. Think

What model year is your Neon ??

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
debake
Delmerico
n00b

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 2004 sxt. That is what I am thinking as well. The weird part is that when as the car heats up it will go higher in revs without the misfire. I have also been looking at other forums to see if anyone else had this problem. From what I have read, it seems that it could be related to the MAP sensor or the crankshaft position sensor...

Thanks for replying!
Donkeypuncher
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clogged catalytic converter? I remember people having similar symptoms.
debake
Delmerico
n00b

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Clogged catalytic converter? I remember people having similar symptoms."

That is actually a good point, I really haven't thought about that. The car does have close to 190,000 miles....

What is the best way to clean it? I would buy a new one but I don't have the funds for that right now. Gotta love college!! Shocked
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has broken or melted internally, there is no cleaning it, other than less than legal methods of removing the substrate. You would then get a CEL.

Unless you have a remote camera to check the outlet end, there is no real way to know if it has melted on that end.

You could either unbolt it enough to create a leak, or remove the upstream o2 and tie it to the side, and see if it revs easier. You will be amazed how much just that little hole can make if the cat is clogged.

If it was just soot, you could run a heavy dose of Seafoam to clean it out. But unless it has had serious oil issues, or been blowing black smoke, I doubt it is sooted up.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debake wrote:
"Clogged catalytic converter? I remember people having similar symptoms."

That is actually a good point, I really haven't thought about that. The car does have close to 190,000 miles....

What is the best way to clean it? I would buy a new one but I don't have the funds for that right now. Gotta love college!! Shocked

*IF* this is your catalytic converter, universal replacements, are actually pretty inexpensive. (The more expensive part, is having someone else mount it.

I should have asked the first time.... Have you scanned for any codes ??

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
debake
Delmerico
n00b

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: FIXED!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I just want to thank everyone for their inputs, they were all very useful and helpful. The problem ended up being the crank sensor, i let the car throw the check engine light and looked up the code. Turns out that our cars really don't like autozone parts..... MOPAR all the way!!!
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be one of the most unusual crank sensor failures I heard of. They do tend to swell with age, but possibly it was just swelling/shrinking enough with temperature to affect it's operation.

My non Mopar unit lasted about 2 years/30,000 miles before acting up. It would get me about 5 miles from home, and the engine would shut off. Let it set for about 3 to 5 minutes, and it would fire up and last the rest of the way there. about a week would go by, same thing.

I noticed if I left it coast down in gear, the battery light would be on, and the tach wasn't working. Bingo! No crank signal = no tach, and the ASD relay opens, shutting fuel, spark and the alternator field off. Hence why the battery light would come on, even tho the ignition was on, and the engine was turning at speed.

But in your situation, it was signalling, just not rapidly enough to maintain RPM.

But if you are stuck with a failed crank sensor on a Sunday, 7 hours from home, you go to Advance/AutoZone and eat the $70 to at least get you home. A used crank sensor cured my issue quite nicely. I just have to find the extra $100ish for a good spare. After finding my coolant leak, and shelling out for a new furnace....

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
KeepItRunning
n00b

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
That has to be one of the most unusual crank sensor failures I heard of. They do tend to swell with age, but possibly it was just swelling/shrinking enough with temperature to affect it's operation.

When my crank sensor went bad, first it seemed pretty much like bad spark plugs (misfiring, then I had hard time starting). Then the check engine light appeared, and I managed to figure out what was the problem. But for several days it drove me nuts! I even replaced plugs to be at the safe side.....
jonnymopar
200k and counting...

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
But if you are stuck with a failed crank sensor on a Sunday, 7 hours from home....

...in a grassy field on a beautiful sunny day, with a tent to work under, with tons of Neon guys around willing to give you a ride and lend you tools...

Geez, what a crybaby. Laughing You are coming this year, right?

2003 Neon SXT
1989 Daytona ES 2.4L Turbo
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnymopar wrote:
occasional demons wrote:
But if you are stuck with a failed crank sensor on a Sunday, 7 hours from home....

...in a grassy field on a beautiful sunny day, with a tent to work under, with tons of Neon guys around willing to give you a ride and lend you tools...

Geez, what a crybaby. Laughing You are coming this year, right?

Damn straight. None of you bastids were offering up your crank sensor! ROFL

I think was more happy with the help pushing it up that freaking hill to get to said grassy field with tent and neonites.

I think that part liked to kill all three of us.

As far as attending, I really can't make any promises. I really should be spending the fund's on hul kogan's old 2000, AKA the Dark Jewel.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
jonnymopar
200k and counting...

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have that car??! I thought it got sliced 'n diced! That's awesome that it's still in one piece somewhere.

Ahem, if I remember correctly, I offered you my crank sensor, which I can say with confidence that it stops oil coming out of the crank sensor hole perfectly. I've never used it for anything else though, so who knows.

2003 Neon SXT
1989 Daytona ES 2.4L Turbo
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm not sure you did. I recall we tried swapping one from someone else's car, but it wouldn't budge, so we abandoned that idea out of fear we would have two broke neons.

If anything why wouldn't we have tried it as a process of elimination. Everyone was saying PCM, which I wasn't buying, they even went out to the parts area looking for a PCM.

Finally I had Tom take me to Advance and got one, just to see if it would work.

But hey, I am still thankful for all the help and support I did get. At least I didn't break down racing on the turnpike. Very Happy Good Times...

As far as the '00, it is basically a shell with doors. I have a lot of work to do. But at least it didn't get crushed. I wish I had more $$$ for the interior, because Chris ended up tossing most of it in the dumpster.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: